Achtung Englander

Re: Metro Exodus [PC, PS4, XBone] - 15th Feb 2019

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 am

Metacritic should never be taken as a reflection of quality, but it is useful for demonstrating the all-or-nothing critical attitude that's become prevalent today. Look at the current numbers:

Positive: 604
Mixed: 49
Negative: 459

People seem incapable of taking a balanced view - it's as though we're expected to either love and defend something with our dying breath or loathe it and deride anyone who dares disagree. We're living in the age of the hot take, where the person who can get their opinion out the fastest is seen as the most valid until the dust settles.

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:02 pm

I'm loving it! I have encountered a few bugs but nothing game breaking, In my opinion, the gunplay is much better than the first two. Guns pack quite a punch and the sounds for them are top notch! The story is quite interesting and the NPC's are all likable, you can probably spend an hour on the train (between the missions) listening to NPC's conversations!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 am
Metacritic should never be taken as a reflection of quality, but it is useful for demonstrating the all-or-nothing critical attitude that's become prevalent today. Look at the current numbers:

People seem incapable of taking a balanced view - it's as though we're expected to either love and defend something with our dying breath or loathe it and deride anyone who dares disagree. We're living in the age of the hot take, where the person who can get their opinion out the fastest is seen as the most valid until the dust settles.
totally agree. Its the number of zeros which amaze me. We now live in an age of hyperbole, I wonder will we ever come out. Everything is either brilliant or incredibly shit. Nuance has taken a leave of absence in the collective mind.

Stop the planet, I want to get off.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:54 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:13 pm
Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 am

totally agree. Its the number of zeros which amaze me. We now live in an age of hyperbole, I wonder will we ever come out. Everything is either brilliant or incredibly shit. Nuance has taken a leave of absence in the collective mind.

Stop the planet, I want to get off.
Most of us here have mellowed with age, but I can still vaguely remember being a mardy adolescent who had an extreme reaction to basically everything. The bulk of the internet today is what would have happened had the likes of me had web access and total anonymity then.

I do think the internet has a way of polarising opinions in a way that face-to-face interaction just doesn't. It's the online communication equivalent of road rage.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Yeah, it's pretty much 'The Internet' unfortunately. It's why I find I'm drifting further and further away from it as each year passes. Certainly the interaction side of things (social media/commenting/forums (TGA excepted!)) - I just don't see an environment I wish to spend much time in any more. Tribalism seems to be a fundamental part of it sadly.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:50 pm

yep. I got myself a Twitter account and drop in every other day for about 10 minutes. That is all I can muster. Cannot see the appeal.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Lee wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:19 pm
Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 am
I am going to ask for a key from Koch - let's see if I am lucky ?
Go for it :)
yep...got a key. Another £50 saved !

Shit I need to finish Doom (currently playing)

musicrab

Post by musicrab » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Good game (once I'd found a working Radeon driver); reminds me of so many other games and ... Godzilla. Why, oh why?
Spoiler
Boss fights with giant gorilla/monsters. Where did they come from. Grrrr.
Bits of Half Life 2 (dune buggy!), Crysis (cityscapes!) and - a blast from the past - farcry2 (I say it quietly); remember trains, sand and dune-buggy? However, I did a lot more mountain climbing in fc2 than Exodus - perhaps I'll revisit the mountains on my second run.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Metacritic is pretty good if you stay away from the 10's and 0's and read the comments from the ones that people put some effort into detailing the highs and lows about the games. You'd be pretty stupid to take a 0 seriously since for me that would be a game that wouldn't even launch/work. And a 10 would be something perfect which even my fondest games wouldn't get. There is always niggles with some decisions with said game.

So it's a valuable tool for me personnaly :)
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:38 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm
yep...got a key. Another £50 saved !
What do you do that entitles you to ask for keys? Are you a journo? I can't remember
-- To be completed at some point --

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:17 pm

Industry analyst for games

Used to be the analyst for NPD. I am now running my own business and my main client is GSD UK. In summer we expect to replace GfK Chart Track for POS calculation. So I see all the POS numbers first in the country (muhahah !) for boxed games and digital downloads. I am in contact with all the publishers, hence keys.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:28 pm

It reads best if your brain auto translates POS to piece of shit.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:40 pm

:lol:

Although I would imagine most boxed game sales these days are POS.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:37 pm

:lol:

You may think that, I couldn't comment

The work is pretty interesting and at least I am doing something I like which is really important to me since the age of 30.