RimWorld [PC] - Due out 17th October

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Me

RimWorld [PC] - Due out 17th October

Post by Me » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:27 am

Started getting into Rimworld these last few weeks after watching a lets play series about a lone colonist trying to survive one of the hardest environments in the game, starting a colony on the Ice sheets with a single tribal. Difficulties include, no wood for building, temp never going above -10C, impossible to grow food and very little wildlife to hunt. The key strategy behind his survive? Cannibalism! And also building a small metal shack over a Geothermal vent to keep warm...

The guy doing is a bit like David Attenborough (in tone if not voice, sounds German) describing the adventures of Canbir, a man who is a bit like the baddy from a horror film lurking in the mountains helping to cause the death of every he meets. He stores every corpse for a later a meal and some he'll turn in clothing for a small mood de-buff because cannibals like that sort of thing you know.

I've been doing a few low key versions of that, sticking to cold places, but a bit further south so you can still grow a bit and find some wood. The level of detail in the engine is remarkable, the way it tracks damage to colonists like having poor blood filtration due to having a liver shot out, or poor manipulation skill because you've lost a finger to frostbite. Luckily you can always perform surgery and replace a destroy organ with one you've harvested from a raider, you build a better bionic version.

Gibby

Re: Rimworld - Land of the cannibals

Post by Gibby » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:23 am

Sounds great fun. I will give this a watch. You should do a Let's Play some time ;)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:38 am

I forget who it was that did one on PW a year or two ago, either Raid or Sly. All the colonists were named after members of the forum. It was pretty short lived though, we didn't fare very well as a colony. -_-

Me

Post by Me » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:46 am

I've not done one since the darklands one years ago. I'm tempted to start a disaster on with psycho cannibals, might do a lets play on that ¬_¬

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:48 am

Yeah, I did one at the end of last year. I had meant to do another but other things got in the way. What I wanted to do was find a better way of doing the Let's Play as it was taking an hour to cover ten minutes of gameplay.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:11 pm

I feel like a forum based style of LP is much better suited to particular kinds of games. Something that involves a lot of world building like Rimworld or any other survival/strategy/4x title contains so much information that it's very hard to succinctly describe what's happening without dragging things out. Not that it's impossible, I enjoyed reading your playthrough, but I can imagine how challenging and time consuming it is to stick with.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:26 pm

I remember doing a Rome Total War Let's Play back on PW. It took me hours to chronicle (in an interesting way) the events of about 10 turns. Fun but exhausting, and if you only get one or two responses it's deflating enough to see it die off.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:30 pm

I love reading things like that, I'm not so keen on watching Youtube series' that are 30+ videos long without any decent editing. Give me some decent writing and a series of screenshots summarising the action any day. If enough people express interest in starting their own playthroughs of other games I might make a subforum dedicated to it in the General Gaming folder.

I'm working on something at the minute just trying to dust off my writing chops that I might post up.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Oddly enough I've been thinking of doing another one. I wouldn't say make a new folder for them though - too many folders waters down the feeling of lots of activity that encourages posting.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Talking of folders, I was wondering about new cross-platform releases. Would those threads go in the General gaming folder or the PC-gaming folder?

Not really an issue, but if the place does get busier with a lot of people playing the same games on console, it could be a bit weird.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:57 pm

I would avoid putting any game-specific threads in the General Gaming folder at all to be honest. Currently we have a lot of cross platform titles in this folder, which is how it tended to work on PW too. Essentially, if it's on PC and consoles then the thread ends up being made in the FPS/RTS folders which I have condensed to a single PC folder. If it's console exclusive then obviously it belongs in the console folder.

In short, I'm not really sure.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:08 pm

I don't think a Let's Play folder is that bad an idea, personally. It wouldn't be the most active folder, but then neither is the Blog folder.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:52 pm

I certainly don't think it's a bad idea, but I think at the minute it would be best not to split too many threads into separate folders if they're generic enough - maybe once it's busier it'd be more necessary to protect them in their own place?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:51 pm

I always just land on the unread pages so folders mean nothing to me. I have just have a list of things to read.
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Yeah, 95% of my time is spent just using the New Posts screen, but folders make it easier to find older posts.