Life is Strange 2 [PC, PS4, XBone]

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Life is Strange 2

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:36 pm

The latter part of my last post may have been pulling your leg a bit. -_-

But I do think that you can't do the bird sequence in the following episodes now, which means you can't get all of the photo opportunities, if you're bothered about being a completionist. The photos that you take don't actually effect any outcomes in the game at all.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Life is Strange 2

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:36 pm
The latter part of my last post may have been pulling your leg a bit. -_-
I know ;)
Mantis wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:36 pm
But I do think that you can't do the bird sequence in the following episodes now, which means you can't get all of the photo opportunities, if you're bothered about being a completionist. The photos that you take don't actually effect any outcomes in the game at all.
It does seem to have wider implications than I thought, although I'm really not a completionist (I think I got 3 or 4 or the optional photos from the first chapter, of 8 I think?) so I won't worry about it too much.

It does make my Max seem a bit bi-polar though. "Oh no, I have to save this bird!" *spends minutes poking around in boxes and tool-boxes* "Oh, it's dead. Whoops."

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Life is Strange 2 [PC, PS4, XBone]

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Finished Episode 3. In bits. :(

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:58 pm

That's the final scene where you find out you can actually go back in time and change past events isn't it?

I'm afraid it doesn't get much cheerier from here on. :P

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:58 pm
That's the final scene where you find out you can actually go back in time and change past events isn't it?

I'm afraid it doesn't get much cheerier from here on. :P
Yeah. And I've just gone past the bit in episode 4 where you go back and undo what you did. This was no less traumatic :(

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:10 am

Finished it. Wow, talk about being put through the wringer.

And apparently at the final choice I took a different path to 100% of the people in my Steam friends' list who have played it.

I'm pretty sure we're all monsters, though.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:14 am

As to whether I'll get the second one, after that I think I definitely will. Although the initial £32-odd asking price for what will probably be another 12-hour game sticks in the craw a little bit. Likely I'll wait for a price-drop down the line. It's episodic anyway, isn't it? So I'll probably also wait until the entire season is released.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am

Which ending did you go for?
Spoiler
My girlfriend saved the town and then I played through in a 'renegade' style and basically fucked everyone over apart from Chloe; let Kate die, etc. and obviously saved Chloe at the end.
I'd recommend Before The Storm too. It's made by a different studio but they really nail the vibe of the game and the development of Chloe's backstory is excellent.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:31 am

So you played it through twice? I thought about that, and maybe I will eventually, although I kind of like the journey I went on and feel happy enough about where it ended, so I may leave it there.
Spoiler
I saved Chloe. I probably agonised over it more than any other choice a game has presented me with. I really could appreciate the 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few' vibe I think they were pushing you towards, with the diner scene and Chloe practically begging you to let her die. But I just felt like we'd been through too much to let that happen - she was my bff and I'd totally sided with her and supported her throughout. I was a mess after the bit with saving her dad and then seeing what happened to her... and I couldn't fulfill her request then to kill her either. I think I also thought, or hoped, that some people would be able to get out of the town alive (not that you're shown that, so who knows). It felt like the town itself was dying anyway with its main industry collapsing and the Prescotts taking everything over.

So, I felt like a bit of a shit about it due to the cost involved, but I feel like I made the right choice for the way I played it.

Great writing, obviously, to make you care for the characters that much.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:58 am

I just watched alongside on the first playthrough and helped out with a few of the puzzle sections, most of the choices were entirely made by my girlfriend. We didn't really like Chloe that much because of how self centred she was, particularly after the whole Kate section. We only played through a second time because there wasn't much else to play at the time and I was curious how differently things would pan out if I literally picked all the opposite choices; it's pretty amusing when you play Max as a complete bitch towards everybody.

I think the soundtrack adds a lot to both of these games too.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:16 pm

Damn you all, now I'm going to have to play it again, aren't it? :x
Spoiler
I saved the town on my first (and so far only) time through. Sacrificing Chloe seemed the lesser of two evils, and I also thought that Chloe would never forgive herself or Max if the town was destroyed for their own ultimately selfish reasons. Still, didn't make it any easier.

Also worth noting that the bit where you attempt to talk Kate down from suicide was one of the most intense experiences I've had in a game, because it put you on the spot to try and remember what she'd been talking about, like a true friend. I succeeded, but it hit me in places few games have. It's a perfect example of what interactive storytelling can and should be.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:16 pm
Damn you all, now I'm going to have to play it again, aren't it? :x
Spoiler
I saved the town on my first (and so far only) time through. Sacrificing Chloe seemed the lesser of two evils, and I also thought that Chloe would never forgive herself or Max if the town was destroyed for their own ultimately selfish reasons. Still, didn't make it any easier.

Also worth noting that the bit where you attempt to talk Kate down from suicide was one of the most intense experiences I've had in a game, because it put you on the spot to try and remember what she'd been talking about, like a true friend. I succeeded, but it hit me in places few games have. It's a perfect example of what interactive storytelling can and should be.
Yeah, that bit was well done. I had a sense fairly early on where it might be headed with her so I made every effort to be nice to her and make sure that if I said I'd speak to her on the phone that I did so, but even then had to be careful to pick the right choices. I actually had to rewind after the first failed attempt because one of the responses was a bit vaguely worded I think so what Max ended up saying wasn't what I thought it was going to be and it didn't end well :(

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Sly thinks: Be firm but reassuring...

Sly says: "Do a flip!"

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:36 pm
Sly thinks: Be firm but reassuring...

Sly says: "Do a flip!"
:lol:

I wish I could remember which one it was now. I do remember sitting there with dawning horror thinking "shut the hell up, Max!" :o

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:46 pm

Oh, and that twist at the end of ep 4!
Spoiler
Jefferson
:o