Cyberpunk 2077 [PC, PS4, XBone] - out September 17 2020

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 [PC, PS4, XBone] - out September 17 2020

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:19 pm

585mb patch just landed, addresses some bugs and other stuff it seems.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:45 pm

Really wanting to dive into this game but waiting till I buy a better computer or ps5

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:28 am

Hmm, works well on a RTX 2060. Had to cap it at 30fps though. For lols I turned off DLSS and saw the game tank to 9fps. Thank goodness for that DLSS stuff.

Check out my driving.

Also after an hour of gaming and exiting this happened a moment later.

So yeah...just chill, restart, and hope it never happens again.
Can't be the card dying. I gave it a good thrashing with other RTX things for a long time. Must be driver based.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:36 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 pm
Lee wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:38 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:17 pm

Not great, I'm surprised there isn't an epilepsy warning at the start of the game and that this managed to get through console cert as it used to be part of their testing.
Seems there was warnings on the start of the game and on the back of the box about it.
No there isn't a warning at the start of the game, just in the EULA which nobody reads. CDPR have said they will look to add a separate warning to the game and are working on a long term fix for the issue.
I stand corrected then.

For a performance boost lower the cascaded shadows I think it is called in the options. It also seems not to use AMD cores correctly from what I read in pcgaming reddit in regards to some testing. Hopefully a patch will address that. Friends are all giving the game so much praise over how it all feels and plays so far :)
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:10 pm

Lee wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:36 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 pm
Lee wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:38 pm

Seems there was warnings on the start of the game and on the back of the box about it.
No there isn't a warning at the start of the game, just in the EULA which nobody reads. CDPR have said they will look to add a separate warning to the game and are working on a long term fix for the issue.
I stand corrected then.

For a performance boost lower the cascaded shadows I think it is called in the options. It also seems not to use AMD cores correctly from what I read in pcgaming reddit in regards to some testing. Hopefully a patch will address that. Friends are all giving the game so much praise over how it all feels and plays so far :)
It's all been sorted now though which is good. They put a warning at the start, which goes away a bit too quickly to read properly, and the last patch they changed the flashing lights that were causing the problems.

I'm about 6 hours into the game now and I've mostly been enjoying it. I like the combat and speccing into the hacking means it isn't just your usual shoot people with guns combat. I've found myself mostly getting distracted by the side jobs you can pick up and I have yet to finish the first proper story mission.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:46 pm

I think the side missions is where this game really shines, right now. I'm enjoying calling up my car and driving around, getting into trouble along the way from one self-placed nav point to another. But I'm mostly walking and climbing, seeing how vertical I can get. When I'm on foot, Night City seems truly enormous and overwhelming. I've only used a quick travel node once - which immediately broke the spell. I'm going to try to stay down and dirty in the streets as much as I can.

My 1060 with 3gb is showing it's age with this title. There's oftentimes a group of NPCs that looks like it's being rendered straight out of 2003 :P Ah well. Incentive to get a new rig next year. I want to be able to play Alyx, too, so now at least two gaming reasons.

More to come. I'll make sure to hide spoilers
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:11 am

Don't sprint at an angle on the concreate road barriers. The game accelerates you to quite the speed and you go shooting off.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:09 pm

As always with John Walker he has a terrible way of putting across his points. When it comes to this kind of stuff I know that games journalists want to address it so that it doesn't become accepted in some way, but as he points out, this is a minority of a minority that act this way so maybe it is best if we just ignore them and stop giving them the oxygen they crave.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:28 pm

I've played pretty much the entire day and about 5% of that was advancing the story :lol:

I've had a lovely time just cruising the quadrant of the city I can currently access, taking on side gigs and tackling street crimes. It sounds like this is still the prologue judging by what others have said (I'm still yet to complete the main mission for Dex)... Gog says I've played for 13 hours, I could easily put in another dozen or so doing what I'm doing before needing to take that on.

Favourite one so far was just wandering down a street and coming across a monk who needed help freeing his brother from a local gang... the stipulation being that I had to do it without killing anyone, which turned into quite a fun cat-and-mouse stealth infiltration.

Bugs have been limited to to the odd texture pop-in. I think this is great.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:29 pm

Not wanting to wade through Walker's rhetoric, what's the gist of what he's saying?

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:51 pm

I'm not sure who Walker is, Sly, I've met so many people I can't possibly keep track anymore :)

I'm doing same as you, and really enjoying this game. I rearranged my expectations back to reality versus the hype and am playing CP by ignoring the main arc in Act II for now and just doing the ridiculous number of side jobs and random encounters. Wait until you finish with Dex! Act II opens the entire map, it seems, and dozens more pings on the map. Steam has my play time at 48 hours although at least a third of that is the game sitting idle while I sleep, or eat ;)

I'm thinking this is the best way to play, by ignoring the main story and building up my character with the side jobs and encounters. I killed some mercs and stole their best bike, now I'm cruising around at 160+ and feel like I own this town, ha ha. Level 12, with 21 street cred, so I purchased the missile-shooting arm and have blown myself up several times already, it's really powerful! So lesson learned there...

My best time yet, in a side mission:
Spoiler
Went to a radio station infiltration gig and decided not to go in guns blazing. I hacked a terminal in the front office and was glad I had changed my tactics! Two gun turrets in the joint, and laser-tripped mines everywhere. I shut off the turrets and went inside, very carefully. Ended up finishing the mission then pulled one of the guns from the turret - omg the killing spree I went on! There's several street gangs standing around in the surrounding blocks, and I made good use of my 300 rounds. This thing is like becoming your own walking Apache gunship. Body parts going everywhere, torsos with huge chunks blown out. It's all quite graphic, disturbingly so at times. But lots of salvage for my crafting addiction.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:14 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:51 pm
I'm not sure who Walker is, Sly, I've met so many people I can't possibly keep track anymore :)

I'm doing same as you, and really enjoying this game. I rearranged my expectations back to reality versus the hype and am playing CP by ignoring the main arc in Act II for now and just doing the ridiculous number of side jobs and random encounters. Wait until you finish with Dex! Act II opens the entire map, it seems, and dozens more pings on the map. Steam has my play time at 48 hours although at least a third of that is the game sitting idle while I sleep, or eat ;)

I'm thinking this is the best way to play, by ignoring the main story and building up my character with the side jobs and encounters. I killed some mercs and stole their best bike, now I'm cruising around at 160+ and feel like I own this town, ha ha. Level 12, with 21 street cred, so I purchased the missile-shooting arm and have blown myself up several times already, it's really powerful! So lesson learned there...

My best time yet, in a side mission:
Spoiler
Went to a radio station infiltration gig and decided not to go in guns blazing. I hacked a terminal in the front office and was glad I had changed my tactics! Two gun turrets in the joint, and laser-tripped mines everywhere. I shut off the turrets and went inside, very carefully. Ended up finishing the mission then pulled one of the guns from the turret - omg the killing spree I went on! There's several street gangs standing around in the surrounding blocks, and I made good use of my 300 rounds. This thing is like becoming your own walking Apache gunship. Body parts going everywhere, torsos with huge chunks blown out. It's all quite graphic, disturbingly so at times. But lots of salvage for my crafting addiction.
Glad you're enjoying it too Soli :)

John Walker is the journalist who wrote the article Hatredsheart posted above and Dj responded to.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:54 pm

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:00 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:29 pm
Not wanting to wade through Walker's rhetoric, what's the gist of what he's saying?
Using Cyberpunk a start it widens into -
The movement from print to the web
The relationship between consumers and critics
Gamergate/Ethics In Game Journalism ("There was, apparently, a mailing list in which some writers chatted amongst themselves—no one ever invited me, so I’ve no idea what they said")
Reviews as buyers' guides
The distinction between a journalist and a critic
The role of rating systems, and some publications' abandonment of numerical scores
The supposedly declining readership of reviews (which he says was not true for Rock Paper Shotgun: "All its graphs were curves that continuously climbed, and the events of 2014 or any other time since
made no impact whatsoever")
The defensiveness of fans that leads to them harass/threaten reviewers who dare award their game of choice a less-than-perfect score.

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗