Re: Cyberpunk 2077 [PC, PS4, XBone] - out September 17 2020

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:18 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:57 pm

The Braindance mechanic looks quite fun. Basically it's a recording of someone's cybernetic interface, so you experience that person's feelings and senses allowing you to relive their experiences. But it goes deeper than that, there's an analysis mode where you can play back the experience from a free-cam perspective, sort of like a debug mode, allowing you to see things that the recordee's implants recorded but that the person may not have been aware of. You can scan items for extra details. It's like the ultimate crime scene analysis tool.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm really liking the fact that there are three entirely different prologues you can choose from that depend on your character's background, one of which doesn't actually start you in Night City. I'm guessing it'll mean you can do three very different playthroughs, and not have to do the typical open-world RPG thing of each playthrough being identical up until an hour in when the game will open up.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:31 am

These videos continue to do very little for me and I was trying to figure out why yesterday. With the Witcher 3 I came into it wanting to see a continuation of Geralt's story, I had a connection to the game already and I cared about what was going to happen to these characters. None of that is present for Cyberpunk and on top of that I find it harder to connect when playing a nameless hero, especially in first person. I'm sure the story telling will be just as good as it was in the Witcher 3 but I fear that I wont care because of the detachment I will have. On top of that CDPR have never been that great when it comes to mechanics and this game appears to be leaning on that side of the game more heavily than previous ones. Finally the setting isn't really gelling with me, I do like Cyberpunk and I love the look of the new Deus Ex games but I'm struggling to gel with the more grungy look of Cyberpnuk 2077. Put this all together and I'm worried that I might not like this game, I hope I'm wrong.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:33 pm

Skyrim and Fallout your a nameless blank slate and those games didn't suffer, and they're in first person. I think CDPR can pull this off far better than Bethesda ever could. Really looking forward to it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:36 am

Animalmother wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:33 pm
Skyrim and Fallout your a nameless blank slate and those games didn't suffer, and they're in first person. I think CDPR can pull this off far better than Bethesda ever could. Really looking forward to it.
In neither Fallout or Skyrim did I care about the story, for me those games were about making my own story and playing with the systems. It's not about CDPR not being able to tell a good story, that's kind of a given, it's about the way in which they have chosen to put the player into that story that I think could cause issues for me.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:27 am

You go into any original story with no knowledge of the protagonist, so I'm not sure why it's a problem on that basis to have a story where you create the protagonist (or at least define various qualities about them). Surely even with the Witcher you must have had an entry point where you knew next to nothing about Geralt or the other characters and therefore had no investment in them?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:35 pm

Everything I know about it hints at a game that I'm going to enjoy very much, can't wait to get my hands on it. I don't really understand Dj's concerns tbh but like everything else it'll be horses for courses I'm sure.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Yeah, I'm not really sure what DJ is getting at either. V isn't a nameless, voiceless protagonist.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:23 pm

It's not just about not knowing who the character is before going in, games in which the character you play is a blank slate like in Skyrim or Fallout are harder for me to identify with when it comes to the story. The way the game is presented and the way the characters interact with you is different to when you are playing a named protagonist, the writing has to be done differently because you can't rely on the type of character a player will make. When it's a blank slate it's harder, the game becomes less a story about saving the world (or whatever) and more about personal stories that I make up myself by interacting with the systems ie the time I went into a tomb and beat a boss or took out my first dragon in the case of Skyrim. As I've said I would have less concerns if CDPR were better at gameplay systems as I could just have fun with those.

This all just comes down to personal preference, some people like it better when story games give you a character to play, some the other way around and some don't care either way.

This isn't an attack on the game, me having reservations about the game is not going to stop you enjoying it and as I pointed out these are personal concerns that I don't expect anyone to really share.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:26 pm

Yeah, that's my point. V doesn't seem to be a blank slate kind of character. They perhaps don't have the depth of background that Geralt has, but they're not a Skyrim character from what I can tell.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:54 pm

Raid wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:26 pm
Yeah, that's my point. V doesn't seem to be a blank slate kind of character. They perhaps don't have the depth of background that Geralt has, but they're not a Skyrim character from what I can tell.
They have a a voice but other than that from what I understand the player is dictating the type of character they are.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Is that not a major part of an RPG?

For the record, a lack of character in your protagonist doesn't really work for me either, I just don't get that from Cyberpunk.