Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Strudel

Re: Fallout 76

Post by Strudel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:30 pm

The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:33 pm
Strudel wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:12 pm
As IP address is now classified as Personal Information under GDPR/DPA2018 that is a massive data breach.
Both of those only apply to us though, not 'Mrrka (unless it's interacting with us).
If any of the data relates to EU subjects, the company provides goods or services to EU subjects, or any of the data passes through the EU then they're still subject to GDPR. I don't really know much about the Fallout76 Beta but I'd be surprised if no one within Europe is involved in it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:08 pm
I bloody hate GDPR.
Oh mate, you should try working for the civil service and dealing with this shit. Whilst I back the notion of what the whole thing is about, I'm not so keen on the wholesale panic and poor decision making it has caused within our management which has created a metric fuck-ton of unnecessary extra work.

Regarding Fallout; well, this is what happens when a single player driven developer tries to half arse a multiplayer game.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:19 pm

I think that MP could have worked in this but like you say a predominantly single player dev studio has utterly half arsed it and gone "on the cheap" it seems to me.

The Fallout universe more than has the legs for the concept sadly the game engine, the code and the developers do not. They could have went down some traditional MMO free to play route and included NPCs and maybe it might have taken off. The whole current bruhahah about the cheats and loopholes in the engine really isn't helping at all.

Will never be found on my hard drive that's for sure.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:25 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:09 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
I bloody hate GDPR.
Oh mate, you should try working for the civil service and dealing with this shit. Whilst I back the notion of what the whole thing is about, I'm not so keen on the wholesale panic and poor decision making it has caused within our management which has created a metric fuck-ton of unnecessary extra work.

Regarding Fallout; well, this is what happens when a single player driven developer tries to half arse a multiplayer game.
Man, I can imagine. I think the lawyers within organisations are all running around in blind panic trying to cover themselves in as many ways as possible, with no thought given to the practicalities. Maybe stuff settles down a little bit after a while.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:21 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:25 pm
Mantis wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:09 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
I bloody hate GDPR.

Man, I can imagine. I think the lawyers within organisations are all running around in blind panic trying to cover themselves in as many ways as possible, with no thought given to the practicalities. Maybe stuff settles down a little bit after a while.
I project managed it for nearly 2 years. However much you lot hate it pales by comparison ;)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 am

I witnessed a GDPR horror story earlier in the year. Let's just say that if, for example, you wanted to delete all of an individual's data upon request and the code ended up deleting all data for ALL individuals in the database, that would be bad. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 am

:lol:

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 am
I witnessed a GDPR horror story earlier in the year. Let's just say that if, for example, you wanted to delete all of an individual's data upon request and the code ended up deleting all data for ALL individuals in the database, that would be bad. :lol:
Yikes!

We're still doing work on GDPR to delete data if requested by our customers. Luckily no one has asked yet... because we can't get rid of it all at the push of a button #-o
Last edited by arqueturus on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:47 am

I had to design a system to retrieve all an individual’s data, which was really challenging as there is personal data stored in the most unlikely of places, some of which is identifiable but not conventionally. Another problem is that the nature of our system means customers can add their own bespoke tables which could contain data we don’t know about, and while we automatically check for certain key fields we can’t possibly guarantee we retrieve everything, so we had to mandate that customers have to verify themselves that everything is present before they send the data to the individual. It’s a big mess, but so far we’ve had almost no comeback about it so that’s a relief.

Sorry, this isn’t the GDPR thread! :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Well... it's out. :?

Anyone taking the plunge?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:49 pm

I was never interested. I did put on Outside XBox's gameplay video as background noise yesterday, and it just looked like the dreariest pseudo-MMO environment. They came across a couple of other players, did a handful of non-voiced emotes, and then continued doing things that didn't look like much fun. It was sponsored content, and they were wilfully ignoring the glitches they came across (nothing exciting, just common physics errors that we've all seen a million times before), but it sounded like they were forcing themselves to endure it.

Suffice to say I'm still not interested.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:18 pm

I could be interested once private servers come out.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Putting aside my fundamental objections to a multiplayer Fallout game, I've not seen anything that's made me want to play it in its current state. Like Raid says, it looks dreary and dull. Even if it was made single-player, I'm not convinced there's a good Fallout game in there.

A hard pass from me for the foreseeable future, unless there are some really good reviews from reliable sources. Seems doubtful, though.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:56 pm

My daughter's happy (and has more money than sense)

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:16 pm

However nice the power armour hat is, I can’t muster up a mosquito-fart of enthusiasm for this. Ballhang is my verdict.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=