Fallout 76

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
gpa-gone-west

Fallout 76

Post by gpa-gone-west » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Did a quick search but couldn't find a thread on this. Sorry if there is one.

As my PC died (I doubt I will get a new one anytime soon) I sold my soul to the devil and ordered the Xbox One version. Which is a great pity as my son is getting the PC version, so we wont be able to join up together. On the plus side, I will get access to the beta which starts up, some time soon.

Some snippets of information that I have found:-

You are the first vault to emerge. So any human character you come across will be a player. No human NPC's in the game. I don't yet know how the main story works, but other quests can be obtained from robots or looting mail boxes etc.

The game world is four times bigger that the one in Fallout 4.

There is a maximum of 24 players in the world at one time. Groups are restricted to four players.

The camp/base you build, logs out with you, so nobody will be able to steal your stuff when you are not playing. If next time you log in, somebody else is online and has built their base in the same spot, you can move your base in its entirety, someplace else.

The game is PVP enabled from the outset. There is a bounty system in place (stealing, killing etc). There will be special events/quests from time to time where PVP will be disabled, requiring players to cooperate.

The main story line ends with you launching your first nuke. Only after that can you look for the codes to launch other nukes. When you do, it will create a high level area where you can get special, and high level loot/equipment. I read that the nuked area eventually returns to normal after a period of time, but cant remember where I read it. This hopefully makes it doubtful that people will spend the time searching for the codes to just randomly troll areas with a nuke.

This video is a mish-mash of all sorts of videos, but the beginning explains the perks pretty well:-

Jez

Re: Fallout 76

Post by Jez » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:08 pm

This isn't my thing I feel.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:10 pm

It sounds like such a random mish mash of concepts haphazardly put together to try and justify a multiplayer game in the Fallout universe.

Bethesda have not done a good job with this franchise since they took over.

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:17 pm

I've gotten a lot of fun out of 3 and 4 but I never finish them. I did finish New Vegas mind but that had a story I cared about in general.

I don't dislike the games as such by Bethesda but I wish they'd put some more effort into the writing and fixing the stuff that the community seems to do a great job of through modding. Basic stuff like UI etc
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:33 pm

I had a great time with FO3 & FO4, especially FO4 - just great game worlds to explore and lose yourself in. In the end, I actually had more fun playing FO4 than I did Witcher3.

But I can't envisage this working that well.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 pm

I don't think they have done a bad job with the franchise, they have just taken it in a different direction to the Interplay games.

I'm quite interested to see how this turns out and I can see myself picking it up if it is any good.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 pm

This game's announcement and impending release angers me.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

gpa-gone-west

Post by gpa-gone-west » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 am

The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Don't tell me, its ok for a studio to continue a franchise as long as they don't actually change anything? God forbid they try something different. It will either work or it wont.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:54 pm

gpa-gone-west wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Don't tell me, its ok for a studio to continue a franchise as long as they don't actually change anything? God forbid they try something different. It will either work or it wont.
I like how you not only picked your own argument there, but resolved it yourself in one sentence.

No, it's not just about the MP element. Fallout 4 was fuckin' lazy and this feels like (at best) a stopgap to a decent sequel or (at worst) a potential cash-cow to distract them ever making another good SP game.

And John Denver was from fucking New Mexico before I hear one more fucking person act like they've always been his biggest fan. Fuck.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:10 am

What was lazy about Fallout 4?

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:44 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:10 am
Where to start... there's loads of aspects ofthe game that smack of "fuck it, good enough" rather than omissions from the standard for the sake of trying out a new approach. Example of the latter might be the lack of opening narration and the postscript character monologues - I don't think they couldn't be arsed, they just thought it was better without them, which I disagree on completely. See also the dialogue wheel and the lack of "roleplaying" allowed in the options - scripting and recording all that dialogue isn't something a lazy fucker could be bothered with, it's something they thought we'd like better.

First things to come to mind: generic level-based loot (pipe weapons in 200-year old safes when real firearms were freely available, sure). Legendary weapons/armour with semi-supernatural qualities rather than storied unique items. Pretty much a "whoever wins, fuck everyone else" ham-handed story tree. The racetrack and The Cage serving only to be a place to walk in and shoot people. The weapon customisation not being all it was cracked up to be (you still have First, Better, Betterer, Best in terms of stages, the rest is pretty much set dressing) and how you pretty much have no further to look for your weapon of choice beyond the first hour or so, only grinding skill points and resources to eke out a few more stats for it (see other point about unique, or even varied, stuff).

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Beta goes live on October 23rd for XBone and a week later for everybody else...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:43 pm

The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:44 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:10 am
Where to start... there's loads of aspects ofthe game that smack of "fuck it, good enough" rather than omissions from the standard for the sake of trying out a new approach. Example of the latter might be the lack of opening narration and the postscript character monologues - I don't think they couldn't be arsed, they just thought it was better without them, which I disagree on completely. See also the dialogue wheel and the lack of "roleplaying" allowed in the options - scripting and recording all that dialogue isn't something a lazy fucker could be bothered with, it's something they thought we'd like better.

First things to come to mind: generic level-based loot (pipe weapons in 200-year old safes when real firearms were freely available, sure). Legendary weapons/armour with semi-supernatural qualities rather than storied unique items. Pretty much a "whoever wins, fuck everyone else" ham-handed story tree. The racetrack and The Cage serving only to be a place to walk in and shoot people. The weapon customisation not being all it was cracked up to be (you still have First, Better, Betterer, Best in terms of stages, the rest is pretty much set dressing) and how you pretty much have no further to look for your weapon of choice beyond the first hour or so, only grinding skill points and resources to eke out a few more stats for it (see other point about unique, or even varied, stuff).
I can't disagree with most of that, but I still thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 4 for what it was rather than what I expected it to be.

Fallout 76, though... I'm still not at all convinced that it's for me.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:54 am

This is going to be a shitstorm, isn't it?