Total War: WARHAMMER 2: Curse of the Vampire Coast

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Total War: WARHAMMER 2: Curse of the Vampire Coast

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Dawn of War 3 was absolutely awful. So little content and so many core mechanics of the series stripped away in some misguided attempt to make an arena style RTS game with lanes. Absolutely huge disappointment and probably means Relic won't get another chance to make another one for many years if at all.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Er, to clarify, I meant "is what came out as WTW what you'd expect more from the DoW people than from a CA-made TW game", if there was any doubt - which from my own re-reading, there may be. I wasn't saying to expect a "true" TW Warhammer game from the DoW people.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:10 am

I don't know Jackal tbh.

I played a lot of WHFRP when I was younger and loved it, such a dark and twisted setting with the overbearing knowledge that no matter what your characters did, it was unlikely to really the end that was coming through the encroachment of chaos. That is where my Warhammer knowledge ends though. I never got into any tabletop battle games.

I don't know therefore whether single, massively OP hero units in WHFB tend to be the pivot on which those battles turn. If so, then I would imagine that fans of the tabletop battles absolutely love the rendition into an animated war. For me though it didn't work. I am used to a General being the hardest unit to put down in earlier TW titles but not by much. A spear unit engaging with the heavy cavalry of the Generals Bodyguard puts them down quick enough, and they aren't so tough as to make any significant difference to the outcome.

In terms of the DoW model, it could work but it wouldn't have the spectacle of the vast clash of units that you get in the TW games.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:05 am

Snowy wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:10 am
I don't know therefore whether single, massively OP hero units in WHFB tend to be the pivot on which those battles turn. If so, then I would imagine that fans of the tabletop battles absolutely love the rendition into an animated war. For me though it didn't work. I am used to a General being the hardest unit to put down in earlier TW titles but not by much. A spear unit engaging with the heavy cavalry of the Generals Bodyguard puts them down quick enough, and they aren't so tough as to make any significant difference to the outcome.
Depended on the edition of Warhammer. Some editions get nicknamed Herohammer because they do emphasise the power of the characters/hero units. Others were more like battle games with heroes/characters offering varying if limited levels of support. I much prefer the latter and also really hate the WTW hero units sat in the middle of a mob of enemies for ages, their health slowly trickling down. It looked stupid, felt stupid and made the game seem like one of those shitty old RPG/RTS hybrids where the actual armies didn't really matter much. Add that to the fact that all games from Rome 2 onward seemed to make routing units almost immune to damage and you have this really shitty "chase the near-immortal enemies down for 10 minutes on max speed" experience at the end of every battle.