Total War: WARHAMMER 2: Curse of the Vampire Coast

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Achtung Englander

Re: Total War announcement 04.10.18

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 pm

so I have never played CK2 and just installed it and this is my first impression

:shock:

I have NO idea where to start, so I am going to watch some YouTube tutorials. It looks really really complex
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:58 pm

Start small.
Play as your king, not as your empire.
Don't fuck your sister.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:01 am

It’s certainly complex, but once you get past the WTF stage it’s a superb strategy game. As Jackal says, start as small as you can - a count or an earl. Know who your liege lord is and who your vassals are. Make sure you’re married and that you get an heir as soon as possible if you don’t have one. Make sure all your council positions are filled and that they all have jobs assigned. Your first long term goal should be to become a duke, which will probably involve forging a claim on a nearby county and then pressing your claim in war.

Also begin to learn the terminology and concepts of feudalism, particularly inheritance laws, because that determines who you will play as when your current character dies and what titles they will get. Chances are you’ll start with gavelkind, which means the primary title goes to the eldest heir and all other titles are distributed among any other heirs. That can be beneficial if you have a primary title which encompasses smaller titles (e.g. an empire with several kingdoms), but for a count it means you’ll probably lose a county to a sibling. The other most common inheritance law is primogeniture, which means the eldest heir gets the lot. Much simpler for a minor noble. There are also agnatic and cognatic laws (male and female), but they tend to be less critical.

In terms of the hierarchy for western nobility, it’s emperor, king, duke / petty king, count / earl, baron / bishop. Once you understand the structure of your kingdom and the ones you aim to rule, it becomes easier to devise a plan to manipulate the relevant people to your advantage.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:49 am

Oh I see so I do not have to play a King. OK I will do that and watch some videos as I am bit lost tbh.

I will try not to fuck my sister.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 am

I remember one thing that confused me when I first played it was that sometimes a war would start and I didn't understand why or who I was fighting. If you don't instigate a war and someone doesn't directly declare war on you (which you'll be notified about), chances are that it's your liege lord's war. Your liege will likely have the right to raise some of your levies for his own use, but that happens automatically so you don't need to do anything. You can, if you want, raise your remaining levies and help out but you are NOT obliged to. You can sit back and watch what happens. Also don't worry if your territories are besieged or even captured during these sorts of war because you'll keep what's yours. What may change is your liege lord, depending on the outcome of the war.

So basically, if you're not directly involved in a war, don't fret about it!

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 pm
so I have never played CK2 and just installed it and this is my first impression

I have NO idea where to start, so I am going to watch some YouTube tutorials. It looks really really complex
Just checked, I bought it in 2012. I have tried to get into it oodles of times, and always bounced off. I recently got it, after persevering with some lengthy YouTube tutorials, and love it.

Took a while though... ;)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Out November 8th.

Achtung Englander

Re: Total War: WARHAMMER 2: Curse of the Vampire Coast

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:01 pm

oh...hurray...more DLC :|

we can only hope for a major new release

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Bugger, wish I'd said summat now... The treasure-map motif made me think maybe they were expanding the game world to the Lost Coast (or whatever the Americas are called in WH ¬_¬), if it hadn't already been.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Warhammer South America is Lustria, home of the Lizardmen. North America is Naggaroth, home of the Dark Elves.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Thassit. And the vampires were shipwrecked there, right?

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:33 pm

Don't know anything about that. I'm afraid my Warhammer geography is better than my history.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 pm

Snowy wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:29 pm
Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Just checked, I bought it in 2012. I have tried to get into it oodles of times, and always bounced off. I recently got it, after persevering with some lengthy YouTube tutorials, and love it.

Took a while though... ;)
I had the same experience. The game is amazing but I still find myself utterly bewildered. I've been planning for a long time on getting back into it properly - I keep snapping up DLCs during sales so I have nearly all of them. Would be quite happy to grab a link off you for those tutorials to brush up a bit if you can send me 'em some time.

Sorry to derail the thread with more CK2 chat. ¬_¬
Snowy wrote: I didn't really get on with Warhammer, each race that would be vaguely interesting to play felt gimped - you HAD to play them a certain way, and that just sucked the fun out of it for me.
You've just explained really well why I keep bouncing off the game! I never could quite put my finger on what was bothering me but I think what you've said is a big part of it. Even if the races play to their theme, every campaign feels like going through the motions. I think the utter lack of actual depth to the campaign map beyond rudimentary settlement upgrades and a shit-RPG level of character leveling really makes the overall strategic situation totally boring. Add to that the fact you're usually surrounded by a myriad of minor factions of your same race at the start of every campaign, they all start off with at least 50 turns of fighting the same armies over and over.

I really should've LOVED Warhammer Total War, given I was singularly obsessed with the Old World setting in my teens (I know far too much about the lore), but it's a shit Total War game full of all of the worst design choices CA have made starting with, probably, Shogun 2 or Rome 2 onwards.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:48 am

That was the biggest turn-off for me Gibby, but a close second were the hero characters. One of the big draws for me in a TW game is the strategic battles, and I am afraid that battles where one or two almighty shitkickers determine the course of the entire fight just tore a lot of the strategy from the fights. It looked stupid too, a massive army surrounding one character hitting them over and over to virtually no effect.

For me, TW games have moved away from what I loved about them initially to cater to a different audience. Thankfully there is so much extra content for CK2 (I found that G2A has the DLC for pennies) I can't see myself becoming bored any time soon.

To answer an earlier question, I haven't tried the Westeros mod (or indeed any mod bar one to remove the fucking awful music loop with hours of classical music). Maybe somewhere down the line.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Snowy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:48 am
That was the biggest turn-off for me Gibby, but a close second were the hero characters. One of the big draws for me in a TW game is the strategic battles, and I am afraid that battles where one or two almighty shitkickers determine the course of the entire fight just tore a lot of the strategy from the fights. It looked stupid too, a massive army surrounding one character hitting them over and over to virtually no effect.

For me, TW games have moved away from what I loved about them initially to cater to a different audience.
Would you (hypothetically, because I've not played the WTW games as said) agree, then, that the style of game that came out as Warhammer Total War would've suited more a WH game put out by the Dawn Of War people?

Wait, didn't DoW3 just turn into a point-and-click hero game?