Warcraft 3 - Reforged Announced

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Raid
Local

Re: Warcraft 3 - Reforged Announced

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:11 pm

They really should have ended the Blizzcon keynote with this rather than a mobile version of Diablo. You could almost hear the disappointment.

I'm interested, largely because despite being a fan of the franchise I've never actually played much of Warcraft 3. I tried during my WoW days but it was simply too antiquated a piece of software to be enjoyable.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Raid wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:11 pm
They really should have ended the Blizzcon keynote with this rather than a mobile version of Diablo. You could almost hear the disappointment.

I'm interested, largely because despite being a fan of the franchise I've never actually played much of Warcraft 3. I tried during my WoW days but it was simply too antiquated a piece of software to be enjoyable.
It depends what you're looking to get from it. Were you playing the multiplayer or the campaign?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Campaign.

There was nothing wrong with the actual gameplay, I just remember there being technical issues I wasn't prepared to find a workaround for at the time. I was trying to play it a good ten years after it was released, and I think there may have been severe resolution limits (and I hated how zoomed in everything looked).

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:25 pm
Campaign.

There was nothing wrong with the actual gameplay, I just remember there being technical issues I wasn't prepared to find a workaround for at the time. I was trying to play it a good ten years after it was released, and I think there may have been severe resolution limits (and I hated how zoomed in everything looked).
Fair. I think there are mods for that sort of thing out there, but I'm not one for playing single player campaigns on RTS. For me, it's all about multiplayer/vs computer games. Felt constrained by the options.

I think there's still a fairly solid online playerbase for WC3, so it'll be interesting to see whether or not it increases significantly with this release.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Yeah, see it was the lore surrounding Arthas that I was interested in at the time, not really the gameplay. It was during the latter days of the Wrath of the Lich King era of WoW.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:26 pm

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 pm
Yeah, see it was the lore surrounding Arthas that I was interested in at the time, not really the gameplay. It was during the latter days of the Wrath of the Lich King era of WoW.
I don't know much about the lore but I assume WoW has played fast and loose at times? (and presumably created its own path from some expansion onwards).

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:24 am

I found the single player such a boring slog that I endured because the cutscenes were sooooo good.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:47 am

Blizzard trolling all the Diablo fans by announcing another RTS remaster and then a Diablo mobile game.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:54 am

The mobile Diablo announce trailer on YouTube keeps getting pulled and reuploaded because of the massive negative feedback it's getting :D

The video of the guy asking if it's an off season April fools is golden though.

And I'm unconvinced that anyone needs or wants WC3 in 4k (and the new models in the cutscenes look rushed and cartoony).

Remember when Blizzard were cool? Pretty sure those days are gone :(
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Jez

Post by Jez » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:18 am

Alan wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:24 am
I found the single player such a boring slog that I endured because the cutscenes were sooooo good.
They were fantastic cut scenes. Thought the game was ok but yes.. those cut scenes.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:18 am

Tichinde wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:54 am
The mobile Diablo announce trailer on YouTube keeps getting pulled and reuploaded because of the massive negative feedback it's getting :D

The video of the guy asking if it's an off season April fools is golden though.

And I'm unconvinced that anyone needs or wants WC3 in 4k (and the new models in the cutscenes look rushed and cartoony).

Remember when Blizzard were cool? Pretty sure those days are gone :(
I’ll play it but tbh it seems the sad fact is that brand new RTS might be a waste of resources. And the other reality is that should they create a new RTS, the single player campaign would be poor - why bother?

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:30 am

Jez wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:18 am
Alan wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:24 am
They were fantastic cut scenes. Thought the game was ok but yes.. those cut scenes.
My favourite.

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:40 am

Jez wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:18 am
The end cinematic for the human campaign is still one of my favourite gaming memories to date.
"You, no longer need to sacrifice for your people". That entire dialogue sequence is chilling :)

Tommy wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:18 am
I’ll play it but tbh it seems the sad fact is that brand new RTS might be a waste of resources. And the other reality is that should they create a new RTS, the single player campaign would be poor - why bother?
Not that I am inclined to, but I would just load up the original. Spending Β£20 on something that I already own means it's time I should take the pencils out of my nose and my pants off my head in my opinion :D

I do agree with you by the way that Blizzard don't have any genuine talent left in their writing department to create a legitimate new IP with an engaging story, which is a crying shame.
When you can't do what you were cherished for doing anymore it's time to stop being a games developer and switch to being a store front I guess ;)

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:50 am

I'm getting that RTX off, RTX on meme feeling here :D