Steam Link is Dead

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
elgaucho

Steam Link is Dead

Post by elgaucho » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:24 pm

So it looks like the Steam Link is done and dusted....

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... et-top-box

I did pick one up last year or whenever they went to ridiculously cheap way back when, but I wasn't really very satisfied with its performance - a little too laggy and slow versus what I expected.

Moving into a new house in a few weeks with cat7 ethernet fitted into all the rooms, so I was considering giving this thing another go.

Still - it's a shame to me that something intended to bring more pc gaming to homes hasn't withstood the test of time,but I like that Valve tried!

Did anyone else have experience with these?
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Steam Link is Dead

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:27 pm

I used mine a lot and used it to play most of the way through AC Odyssey, I think it's a great bit of kit.

They are planning to still support it and continue the push of the app on Android and IOS platforms. I tried using the Steam app on my Samsung TV and it was pretty bad so some work to do on the app, although it was in beta at the time. It makes sense that they would just focus on an app rather than make more hardware.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:24 pm

I only ever had issues using it wireless when I moved to the city, too much interference. Wired it’s pretty damn good.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:35 pm

I paid 3 quid for mine and can't even remember the last time I used it for games. It is a very handy, quick and easy way to stream movies or TV shows that I've downloaded over to my TV though, we use it for that more than anything.

I quite enjoyed playing Civ 6 on a big TV for a short period too but it was a bit too janky with the controller.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:32 pm

I bought one when it was mega-cheap, set it up and… I've literally never used it since.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:25 am

Same got mines with a game and then tried it out the once and never used it again.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.