Let's Play... XCOM 2 (War of the Chosen)!

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Let's Play... XCOM 2 (War of the Chosen)!

Post by Mantis » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:41 pm

To be honest, I prefer a larger words to image ratio, so I wouldn't object if you just type out a bit more explaining what you're doing whilst spending less time captioning individual screenshots.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Ok, going to try taking it more down that route for upcoming entries, particularly for the out of mission stuff.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:10 pm

New entry! :o

https://imgur.com/a/nXIxr5f

I still only cover the one mission, but I've greatly reduced the numbers of images posted, by about half, to hopefully move the action on a bit quicker. I'll still try and streamline a bit more in the future and maybe cover multiple missions in longer entries, I'm not sure.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:11 am

Oh man.

Oh man.

This is horrible.

I think this is the end chaps. :( I reached a mission where the game froze after the squad extracted. Have tried and retried with the same result, have done everything I can think of - rebooting, verifying game files, disabling mods and a DLC that apparently causes a few issues - all to no avail. It seems to be a known issue, albeit one I've never before encountered in 250+ hours in the game. There's some suggestion my save file has become corrupted and the only advice is to reload an earlier one... however, for an iron man campaign such as this, I've only got the one save file so that's not an option sadly.

You guys aren't going to save the world, I'm afraid, and I'm gutted about that as we've been getting really close.

I've still got 2,000 images in the folder (yeah, it went up considerably since I last looked in there :lol:), but rather than post up a dozen or more further entries of each subsequent mission, when we all know the campaign is going to end on such a damp squib, what I think I'll do is go through and pull out some of my highlights from the rest and have one final entry to this LP.

Sorry guys :(

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:30 am

Man what a shit! Real shame that our mighty run on this let's play is ended not by the alien menace, but a bug.

:x
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:12 pm

That's a real shame. I'm assuming you did the blacksite mission, I think that would make a suitable stopping point ("we've dealt our first blow against the Advent Calender; our fearsome heroes' quest continues!"). I mean, assuming you, y'know, won. ¬_¬

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:12 pm
That's a real shame. I'm assuming you did the blacksite mission, I think that would make a suitable stopping point ("we've dealt our first blow against the Advent Calender; our fearsome heroes' quest continues!"). I mean, assuming you, y'know, won. ¬_¬
I think that's actually the one I do next after the last entry I posted, so that's long since been done and dusted. However, I think I've found a suitable place to bring it to a close.

There are about 100 images to post that I've pulled out, covering about a dozen missions, so I'll do that in two separate entries hopefully later today. And then that will be that :cry:

Also that will bring us up to 20 entries in total, which feels like a nice round number.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:46 pm

New (penultimate :() entry! :o

https://imgur.com/a/CrIv1pC

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 am

I took a bit of a Christmas hiatus, but back now with the final part of our LP: :(

https://imgur.com/a/QBEpr6t

Thanks for reading.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Good stuff. I mentioned earlier in the thread that the Archon King (I called him Subject Alpha at the time, as I thought that was spoiler-free) is a bit of a nightmare to deal with, and you clearly learned why; that missile launch ability is guaranteed to hit all but one of the people he fires it at, as if I remember rightly just moving one of your soldiers will cause it to complete and hit everything else it was targeting. I never actually took him down, so I never got to play with his armour, but it sounds rather fun.

And while it's a shame you didn't get to complete the campaign, I'll happily take executing the Assassin as a final act.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:13 pm

Cheers man, thanks for being part of it :)

In my latest campaign (started a legendary one, though not iron man), when I encountered both the berserker queen and archon king, my soldiers executed them on the first hit :lol:. I think I just started laughing like a loon when the second one happened. I'd spent ages positioning my men for the encounter so as to avoid that missile attack, but happily took that.

The combination of his armour and the Hunter's sniper rifle is ridiculously OP... I've gone on missions where my sniper's got all the kills. You have to do a bit of prep I guess, getting all the enemies down into the 9-10 hp range for the sniper to finish off, but when you pull it off it's so satisfying. I tend to just wade into the middle of the map now trying to aggro as many groups as possible :lol: