Let's Play... XCOM 2 (War of the Chosen)!

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Raid
Local

Re: Let's Play... XCOM 2 (War of the Chosen)!

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 am
I'm relieved that only Raid took damage
Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 am
I'm relieved that only Raid took damage
How dare you.

https://imgur.com/a/xFn1FbU

¬_¬

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:12 pm

:lol:

You should be focused on the 'only' part! :o

When Mantis in particular kept missing vital shots, I really thought we'd lose at least a couple on that mission.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Yeah, terrible things happen when those vital, 90% chance to hit shots miss. My failure in my first go at the first legacy campaign was due to Bradford missing an 85% point-blank shot on a Muton. I always find it the most frustrating when it's a sniper though, as they take more effort to position properly (given that unlike every other soldier type, you can't move them and take a rifle shot in the same turn). Granted, the consequences aren't usually as severe as, say, a charging skirmisher missing a 95% sword strike, therefore leaving them standing directly next to an enemy that's about to move.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:09 pm

I think they gimp snipers secretly in the Early game. The amount of misses I used to get with mine despite aim assistance and high ground and all that. The miss percentage was just too high on both of my playthrough to be a coincidence. Later game though they were great especially when you get the grapple ability
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Jez wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 am
Love this stuff Sly. Well told and all that :)
Seconded.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Wait till you see the nickname the game gave you :lol:

And, uh... Raid, you know what you were saying about the superpowered alien rulers that the DLC I bought last night add to the game...?

8-[

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:05 pm

I am not above making an entire team of Sly Bootses and making them grenade one another...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:05 pm
I am not above making an entire team of Sly Bootses and making them grenade one another...
Let's just say I instantly regretted the decision to click 'yes' when the game asked me if I wanted to activate the DLC for this campaign.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm so many entries ahead now it's getting a bit ridiculous, I might have to rethink how I'm posting them up :lol:

It depends what you guys want, at the moment I'm going into a fair bit of detail, but I guess as we progress and chuntering through missions I could summarise things a bit better here and there, just post key flashpoints, that sort of thing?

The good news is I'm really invested in this campaign and getting you guys through it, had the old heart pounding a few times!

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Whatever you feel makes it easy for you Sly but not sacrifice too many bits :)

I forgot that the star trek bunch pretty much acted this game.

I could never finish it was to say it just gets ridiculous difficult and I detested those limited turn levels.
19-10-2003

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:06 pm

Jez wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:00 pm
Whatever you feel makes it easy for you Sly but not sacrifice too many bits :)

I forgot that the star trek bunch pretty much acted this game.

I could never finish it was to say it just gets ridiculous difficult and I detested those limited turn levels.
There's an option in the menu now to lengthen them, which I've done for this, and I think there are mods that patch the timers out completely. I don't mind a bit of urgency, though, as long as it's achievable.

I actually find it gets easier (famous last words) as you progress, as your top-tier weapons pack a big punch and the armours mean it takes a good few hits for someone to go down. If I lose anyone, it tends to be earlier on in the campaign.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Yeah I think remember the option to lengthen the timers but they still irritated me. I guess it's there as a counter to overwatch spamming. I just think they could have achieved this differently such as putting in harder enemies if you dawdled too long or something.

I found the same as you though Sly it was difficult at start then you peak but at some point in the middle it really climbs in difficulty. Maybe that's foggy memories though
19-10-2003

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:27 pm

I bounced off this for the same reasons Jez. One of the things I loved about the original XCOM series (and Xenonauts later) was that you had free reign to exercise whichever tactics you liked, where XCOM the remakes threw elements in that you could not tactically prepare for and imposed limits on turn times and the like which forced your hand as a player. I prefer more purity to my tactics, and that eventually killed these two for me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm

See, I was a big fan of the strict mission time limits when I first played the game; I thought they added to the sense of dread that the game fostered. I do however think they're a bit harsh when you first start out. The second mission in all of my WotC playthroughs has required you to get across a map and hit a button in four turns, and that map is generally one of the underground ones with short sight lines where you need to be extremely careful not to charge face-first into an ambush. It's downright impossible, and I don't know whether that's intentional or not. Maybe the devs *want* you to fail a few times, or maybe they just didn't do a good enough job of balancing them. In my current playthrough, this was the mission where completing the objective awarded the Avenger with an engineer, and because I failed it meant that I couldn't start excavating debris for the first month of game time (the Black Market didn't pop up quickly, and even after it did there weren't any engineers available to buy).

I think I may try the game with extended timers next time around.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:14 am

New entry! :o

https://imgur.com/a/TTGmyVK

Another fairly short, between-missions entry this time. But hoo-boy does it heat up after this.