Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Raid
Local

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:50 am

New trailer and gameplay shown off at Mechcon last night, and a new release date of September 2019:

The guy playing is PGI's lead designer Russ Bullock, whose six years of operating the Mechwarrior franchise has apparently not taught him that battlemechs rotate their torsos to line up shots.

The game doesn't look terrible, but I wish the franchise was in the hands of a more capable developer. Besides the truly gorgeous mech designs (the adaptations from hilariously poor 80s lineart has always been the highlight of Mechwarrior Online), it all looks a bit cheap. MWO has been a decent shooter, but it's just never had the investment that it needed. There's a new $20+ mech pack (containing three variants of the same chassis) every month, but they've managed maybe one new map per year.

Hatredsheart

Re: Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Out December, but another Epic store timed exclusive...

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/mechwarr ... mes-store/
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:15 pm

This exclusive caper is a right pain in the arse.

The free games they are doing is a far more effective method of getting my attention and therefor custom than any of this exclusive bollocks, nothing softens my game boner quicker.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:04 am

Yeah, I now won't be buying it on release unless something happens to restore faith in EGS.

This is getting to be immensely frustrating. Cyberpunk is now pretty much the only PC game I can be excited about because I know it's not going to be an EGS exclusive thanks to CDPR having their own storefront.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:44 am

So its out...... :-k

I kind of want it but I kind of dont want to buy anything on EGS :(

IGN 8.1
"MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries checks most of the boxes I would have asked for out of a modern revival of the series. There are tons of mechs that can be kitted out in tons of ways, and they’re all a lot of fun to drive. The campaign is expansive, complex, and reactive, though at times it can also be aggravating and directionless. The mission structure can also feel a little repetitive after a while, but a variety of exciting environments serve to mitigate this."

PC Gamer 80
"MW5 is unmistakably a game about being a sandbox mech jockey, and the stories are just a low-quality veneer over some superb robot combat. If you're here for a mech smashing simulator, this is the best new mech smashing simulator around."
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Been watching videos of it being played but it's just giving off vibes of MWO in single player. That's fine if you liked that.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Bad AI, poor scaling, unimpressive sound design and animation that's just not suited to a Battletech game have largely killed my enthusiasm for this. It's never going to feel like a Battlemech game if your enemies are just running in circles (occasionally smashing through their own base structures), their feet hovering in mid-air because the animation doesn't adjust properly for inclines, amid stalks of grass that are a metre wide and ten metres tall.

As I said earlier in the thread, it just looks a bit cheap. I desperately wish Microsoft would take back the reins of the franchise they own and pour some money into it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:41 pm

Honestly I could overlook a lot just because there’s just nothing else out there for big stompies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Lack of VR support is another big miss for me. PGI moved from an ancient build of Crytek to Unreal, an engine with practically built-in VR support, and they've still not bothered with it. Granted, given that nobody at PGI seems to understand how big Battlemechs actually are, I get the feeling VR wouldn't feel right either. There's minimal game controller support too from what I've heard, so much so that PGI had to create a reference guide on how to do it (it involves faffing about with USB hardware IDs and ini files; you can't just bind buttons in-game by selecting an action and pressing a button to bind it to).

Basically what I want is a battlemech sim, and what PGI have created is a first-person shooter.

If I'm being honest, I'll probably end up buying this when it comes to Steam. Hopefully by that point the AI will have been fixed. You're right in that there just isn't a lot of choice in the Big Stompy Robot Sim genre

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:29 am

I saw the RPS review of this yesterday and almost bought it, but then saw some of the in-game video which put the brakes on sharpish. Reading other reviews highlighted some pointed issues for me. Mech battles involving running round and round each other in a weird two-dimensional dogfight, rinse and repeat mission types, poor controls and absolutely the lack of VR support.

As it stands this one is a no from me /Dragon's Den
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:34 am

From what I have heard from someone who loves MW and has played this is that the reviews are being massively over generous and the game is a mess.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:27 pm

It’ll be in a humble bundle come feb.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Doubtful unless Humble have started issuing EGS keys. It's an Epic exclusive for 12 months.

One of the big issues I've seen mentioned is with the co-op; one of the game's big selling points. The host has to do absolutely everything for the clients outside of missions; it was bad enough that co-op players can't have a joint campaign - if you join a game, only the host's campaign progresses, but it turns out that clients can't do *anything* outside of missions besides running around the dropship. They can't choose their own mech, they can't use the mechlab, they can't see their full loadout, they can't even choose the paintjob of the mech they'll be piloting. That's half the bloody draw of a Mechwarrior game!

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:29 am

Humble has been selling EGS titles like Metro on their site. So it could happen.

So the Host has to pick their friends mechs and loadouts and even paintjobs in co-op. What the hell.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu May 07, 2020 9:10 am

On gamepass. Let’s see how bad it is....