Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Snowy
Local

Re: The Outer Worlds - PC, PS4, X1, Switch 2019

Post by Snowy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:56 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:36 pm
Thanks both, will take a look.
Worth doing mate, I upgraded a few months back, it is painless and cheap.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:56 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Yeah, I think I will. As it happens my dad, who knows more than me about computers, is coming over tomorrow, so think I'll go through it then. I couldn't afford it at £130-odd, but for £13 it makes sense to.

Thanks to Hatredsheart and MM for their suggestions, I'll hopefully get it looking like Win 7, which I've become accustomed to and I don't deal well with change :lol:

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:52 am

I'd forgotten that Win 10 even did tiles as I've had that shit taken off for years now :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:26 pm

Spent a good bit of time playing this yesterday and am very much enjoying it. The pace of the game is similar to Fallout as you spend a good bit of time wandering about, action is pretty similar as well just without the body part targeting system. One thing I'm not enjoying is the clunky UI and inventory, it's pish. Having to manually add weapons and health to equipment slots is a pain. I have subtitles disabled but they still appear anyway. Weapon models are very bland as well, some look like they lifted from Bioshock.

All that aside it's a fun game. I'm playing it on Normal difficulty, the higher levels require you to eat, drink and sleep regularly least you drop dead from exhaustion. Nah.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:13 pm

I'm really enjoying this so far.

The intro sections wierdly reminded me of the original Unreal opening levels for some reason. Although the game is compared with Fallout 4 - in the Unreal engine, everything feels much more solid albeit contrainted (no bunny hopping up the side of cliffs for you). Gunplay seems good except I can't workout why, at this early stage you don't just used the most ranged thing.

Things that feel negative are the shit AI of the enemies and the way they agro then lose interest with you. More to come I reckon.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:10 pm

I've seen on Reddit some ini tweaks that can remove some of th eshitter effects like Chromatic Abberation.

It's what I'm going to dive in and try first hing tomorrow (well, first thing after work)

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:22 am

I've been really enjoying this, it feels like a much more focused version of a Bethesda game with elements of Mass Effect. My only complaint is that the Unreal Engine has been really poorly optimised, texture pop-in is awful, it's so bad that it effects the loading of conversations so I have had to turn down the textures as it was taking minutes for conversations to load.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 am

Finished this up yesterday. I had fun and it's the first 'Fallout' game I've completed so it was obviously doing something right. I enjoyed the combat a lot more than I have done in the Fallout games and the story/side missions were better told than in Bethesda's games. It doesn't do anything particularly new or different but it is a solid game and it benefits I think from being more focused. Usually with Fallout games I lose interest eventually as I get distracted by so many different things but with the streamlined nature of the game, that didn't happen. There is one area in which I think the game suffers from being smaller, the main plot. It doesn't really get going until near the end and then it feels like they dump a load of info on you very quickly and suddenly the game is over. It is almost as if they had to truncate things a bit maybe due to budget and time, which wouldn't be a first for Obsidian.

I'm using Fallout as a reference so much because this is basically a Fallout game in all but name and setting. It's a cliche but if you are a fan of Fallout games then you will enjoy the Outer Worlds.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Did you get caught in the glitch where you'd crash to desktop if you tried entering a door just before a cutscene kicks in?
I had to google the answer and it was a bit convoluted of hacking the door as normal but then going all the way back out to a door on the otherside of the room and use that one. Apart from that it's run flawlessly. It's the first game in a while where I played it on easy mode (as I normally do) but found it way too easy so restarted on hard. It's still not that hard though :)

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:52 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:10 pm
I've seen on Reddit some ini tweaks that can remove some of the shitter effects like Chromatic Abberation.

It's what I'm going to dive in and try first hing tomorrow (well, first thing after work)
Mod for that here mate, amongst others -

https://www.nexusmods.com/theouterworld ... ll+time%29
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Ooh, there weren't many mods to start with so will go have a look now.

The main one I want is if you get a stealth kill you shouldn't be penalised with negative reputation. If you get seen, then fair enough.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:17 pm
Did you get caught in the glitch where you'd crash to desktop if you tried entering a door just before a cutscene kicks in?
I had to google the answer and it was a bit convoluted of hacking the door as normal but then going all the way back out to a door on the otherside of the room and use that one. Apart from that it's run flawlessly. It's the first game in a while where I played it on easy mode (as I normally do) but found it way too easy so restarted on hard. It's still not that hard though :)
No I never had that issue, was pretty much free from bugs apart from the weird texture streaming thing that effected audio.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:48 am

I read a bit more and apparently it's a problem with having that holographic disguise thing. Using the other door you enter without it active.
Oh and this door is pretty much near the end of the game.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:36 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 pm
Snowy wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:
Yeah, I think I will. As it happens my dad, who knows more than me about computers, is coming over tomorrow, so think I'll go through it then. I couldn't afford it at £130-odd, but for £13 it makes sense to.

Thanks to Hatredsheart and MM for their suggestions, I'll hopefully get it looking like Win 7, which I've become accustomed to and I don't deal well with change :lol:
Sly, not sure if you've paid for it yet, but you can still upgrade from Win7 to Win10 for free by going here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Just download the media installation tool and do a normal upgrade. It takes your Windows 7 key and converts into the Win10 equivalent in the process.

I've just done it and I'm really surprised that everything still works perfectly. I was expecting to spend the day hassling over drivers. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:44 am

Maturin wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:36 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 pm
Snowy wrote:

Sly, not sure if you've paid for it yet, but you can still upgrade from Win7 to Win10 for free by going here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Just download the media installation tool and do a normal upgrade. It takes your Windows 7 key and converts into the Win10 equivalent in the process.

I've just done it and I'm really surprised that everything still works perfectly. I was expecting to spend the day hassling over drivers. :lol:
Thanks mate, I hadn't done it yet for various reasons, but will check that out.

As regards all your applications, like games, documents, pics etc, are all those unaffected by the upgrade? Ie, is everything still there as it was before?

I've never upgraded the OS on an existing computer before (in the past it's always been on a brand new machine), so not sure what is involved.