Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Chernobylite

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:27 pm

ManBearSquid wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:25 pm
How is it? It looks really interesting.
Initial impressions very positive. I've not done a lot apart from the tutorial, up until you get your base, but very much enjoyed my time with it so far.

Stalker vibes are strong with this one.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:23 pm

I'm definitely interested, but I've loads to play for now so I'll likely grab it in a sale at some point. That's actually what mostly stops me buying games closer to their release prices, too many others with less than half the time that I used to have for them. Fuck knows how any of you with kids ever get any game time in!

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:44 am

It looks fairly heavy on the jump-scares from what I have seen, which is a big red flag for the forums official death metaller big girls blouse :oops:

Tell me if I am wrong Alan...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:39 am

Snowy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:44 am
It looks fairly heavy on the jump-scares from what I have seen, which is a big red flag for the forums official death metaller big girls blouse :oops:

Tell me if I am wrong Alan...
I'm with you on the girl's blouse front :lol:

Not really had anything so far on that front, though most of the reviews say rather than horror it goes for more of an unsettling vibe. Will report back though once I'm further in.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:26 pm

Put about 8 hours into this now, and nothing really that scary so far. There's no jump scares to speak of, it's mainly some areas being a bit unsettling, but the scares happen organically, eg if you go around a corner and there's one of the creature-type enemies on patrol there.

There was quite a funny moment when that happened to me. I was creeping around a building, aware that somewhere I could hear one of the creatures stomping around. I went to the top floor, came out of the stairwell, and it was right there in my face. Now, you can't hip shoot in this game, you can only fire by looking down iron sights or through a scope by holding down RMB. The gun I was holding at the time was my sniper-scoped pistol, ie when I held it up to shoot I couldn't hit a bloody thing with it. By now the creature is pummelling me quite severely, and in my panic I forget which things I've bound to which keys, and instead of bringing out my close-range shotgun to finish him off, I instead pulled on my gas mask, complete with unskippable 3-second animation.

At which point I died :lol:

It's a good game, enjoying it. I also appreciate that the maps, while not small, are nicely self-contained, so I can log in, spend an hour doing a mission from start to finish, then go back to base and log off. I find myself gaming in short bursts currently, so this suits me down to the ground.