Outward

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Outward

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm

Yikes. Yeah, wish I'd know that would go up so steeply.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:26 pm

Not read it yet, but 6/10 from Destructoid:

https://www.destructoid.com/review-outward-547670.phtml

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:22 am

Another middling review:

https://www.pcinvasion.com/review/outwa ... tasy-land/

Sounding more and more like it won't be my cup of tea, despite some interesting (on paper) ideas.

Also sitting on a Mixed rating on Steam when I checked last night.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 am

Who on earth are PC Invasion?

Steam reviews are going to be pretty worthless this early as people will have hardly put any time into the game.

I never expected this to review that well to be honest, it sits in that tier that studios like Piranha Bytes occupy. You are either willing to put up with the issues for the gem of a game that lies within, or you are not.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:37 am

I think if you're interested in this genre/type of game then reviews won't sway you either way. you'll be doing your own investigations and then buying it
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:45 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 am
Who on earth are PC Invasion?

Steam reviews are going to be pretty worthless this early as people will have hardly put any time into the game.

I never expected this to review that well to be honest, it sits in that tier that studios like Piranha Bytes occupy. You are either willing to put up with the issues for the gem of a game that lies within, or you are not.
I did get a bit of a Gothicy vibe reading what everyone is saying about it.

If I'm honest though it sounds a bit of a drag to play with the iron man mechanics (at least the Gothic games had a quick save), lack of any fast travel options, having to go away and restock to retry difficult encounters... thinking despite the fact I generally like PB games this one won't be for me. Or at least not until it's dirt cheap.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:47 am

I get what you are saying about the lack of a quick save and if you don't get on with that then you wont like the game as it's an integral part of the game. It's stuff like this that makes me really interested in playing it though, it's totally different to other games out there.

This is the kind of thing that really interests me.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/you-never-di ... -stronger/

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm

This is a bit of a diversion but I saw you playing it on Steam Sly and wondered what you thought of that TC mod for Skyrim.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:03 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm
This is a bit of a diversion but I saw you playing it on Steam Sly and wondered what you thought of that TC mod for Skyrim.
Yeah, I've mentioned it in the currently playing thread, I think, but it is excellent. As good as a professionally developed game and I've been having a blast with it.

Considering it's free it's a no-brainer for anyone that likes Elder Scrolls games.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Mine crashed after the initial 'setup' scene and I haven't been back yet to try to fix it.
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:53 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Mine crashed after the initial 'setup' scene and I haven't been back yet to try to fix it.
Weird, I've had a few crashing issues (but this seems at least partly linked to my tabbing in and out frequently), but nothing too major.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:12 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:03 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Yeah, I've mentioned it in the currently playing thread, I think, but it is excellent. As good as a professionally developed game and I've been having a blast with it.

Considering it's free it's a no-brainer for anyone that likes Elder Scrolls games.
I must have missed that, I'll scrub back through the topic.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:59 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:12 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:03 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:

I must have missed that, I'll scrub back through the topic.
Hm, actually I didn't say much about it there, I'd actually mentioned it on a Liverpool forum I post on, which has a small PC gaming thread. This is what I said there:
Incidentally I finally got stuck into this about a week ago, and it's really good! It certainly feels like a game by a professional studio and not one by amateur modders, the voicework in particular is mostly of a level that puts some proper titles I've played to shame. I've also read there's about 100+ hours of gameplay, which given that in roughly 15 hours I've seen perhaps 10% of the map, seems realistic. It's basically as big as Skyrim (but far prettier, imho).

Doesn't hold your hand, either. I've had my arse handed to me numerous times in the first dozen hours, before I discovered a decent weapon. There's no level-scaling like in Skyrim, so it's more than possible to wander into an area too tough for you, which is great if you like a bit of a challenge.

Considering it's free - free! - to Skyrim owners via Steam it's an absolute steal. Highly recommended.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:46 pm

Cheers, despite having a lot of games on my plate I have a hankering for playing something like an ES game.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:14 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:46 pm
Cheers, despite having a lot of games on my plate I have a hankering for playing something like an ES game.
Without wanting to big it up too much, I think it's closer to Morrowind than anything Beth has made since Morrowind :)