Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
elgaucho

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by elgaucho » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:23 pm

So this game just came out in the last couple of days. Has anyone decided to venture in?

I don't rate IGN, but i'm very tempted by this. I'm just wondering if it'll be like Dark Souls where i love the concept but don't have the time to master it appropriately.

Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:25 pm

I tried Dark Souls and got (maybe?) halfway with it before I lost the stomach for it. I don't think that kind of attritional, learn-by-dying gameplay is really for me.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 pm

I am the same, have played Souls and Bloodborne and bounced off both.

I like the premise for this, but doubt that the actual game is for me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:46 pm

I played Dark Souls for about 10 mins...than uninstalled it when I could not control the character because there were like over 20 commands. I cannot be doing with that
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Ive only finished Demon and Bloodborne, the others I've gotten so bored with before the end. This is a bit more interesting in look and it sounds less grindy and no gear also sounds like a good thing to me. I'm sure my mate will buy it and I'll give it a spin.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:29 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:25 pm
I don't think that kind of attritional, learn-by-dying gameplay is really for me.
Likewise. I've watched Eurogamer's video team play through all of Dark Souls 1, most of 3 and Bloodborne (I find Let's Plays make for good background noise), and I suspect the suspense of whether they'll beat a boss is more enjoyable than the dread of trying to do it myself. I *want* to like the Souls series, challenge is one of the most desirable qualities in a game for me, but games that are purposefully stressful aren't really my thing. The whole needing to recover your dropped souls / echoes / whatevertheshinobiequivalentis mechanic just sounds unfair to me.

...yet I'd still like to actually try Sekiro. It's immensely pretty, and I quite like the grappling hook mechanic. One of my all time favourite games is the Ninja Gaiden reboot from the original XBox, and none of the other similarly-styled action-RPGs I've played since has scratched the same itch. The feudal-Japan trappings of Sekiro and faster pace compared to the Soulsborne series do appeal. I long for the days when most games had demos; given that the last few full-price games I've bought have been a bit of a bust, I'm not prepared to take a punt on this without knowing I'd enjoy it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:45 pm

I've never really understood the argument that the Souls games are designed to be purposefully stressful and super difficult. Once you've got a grasp of the mechanics and learnt enemy attack patterns they really aren't that hard so long as you take a nice steady pace. You can't rush through these games like they're fast paced DMC style titles, at least not until you have a very strong grasp on them from repeat plays.

I'll be picking Sekiro up as soon as my schedule permits me a good chunk of time to sit down with it. From what I've heard it is quite a different beast to Souls and Bloodborne.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:54 pm

I've grabbed Sekrio as I love most of what From have produced in the last few years. So far I've gone back and forth on whether I like the game. I was enjoying the combat until I met a mini-boss and then it became really difficult as the tells were quite hard to pick out and you can't take many hits and don't have much healing. Then I started to get more of a grasp of it and began to enjoy it a bit more. Right now I'm enjoying the combat but finding some of it a bit monotonous. You can't really take on more than a few enemies at a time and most areas have 4-5 so it's a case of either stealing in and killing a few or getting in picking off a couple then running and hiding and waiting for them to reset and then repeating the tactic again.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:06 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:45 pm
I've never really understood the argument that the Souls games are designed to be purposefully stressful and super difficult. Once you've got a grasp of the mechanics and learnt enemy attack patterns they really aren't that hard so long as you take a nice steady pace. You can't rush through these games like they're fast paced DMC style titles, at least not until you have a very strong grasp on them from repeat plays.

I'll be picking Sekiro up as soon as my schedule permits me a good chunk of time to sit down with it. From what I've heard it is quite a different beast to Souls and Bloodborne.
Partially it's a personal thing as I'd never really used a gamepad before, I was joystick all the way through my Spectrum and Amiga years and I've never owned a console. I just don't have the in-built memory of where the buttons are without looking.

Even so, over many hours I reached a point with DS1 where I was comfortable enough traversing the world as long as I was careful not to pull more than 1-2 enemies at a time and be prepared to run if I bit off more than I could chew.

But I never enjoyed any of the boss fights. For me they were just joyless, attritional grinds, the stress of the encounters emphasising my lack of familiarity with the joypad controls. For most I ended up reading guides online and then hoping I got lucky on the umpteenth attempt. I reached the point where I was in some caves where hidden archer bastards were pelting me with poison arrows that I realised I'd sated my curiosity but still wasn't really enjoying it so I quit.

I'm sure they're very good games for people that like that kind of thing, but not for me.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:45 pm
I've never really understood the argument that the Souls games are designed to be purposefully stressful and super difficult. Once you've got a grasp of the mechanics and learnt enemy attack patterns they really aren't that hard so long as you take a nice steady pace.
When you compare them to other games, the speed at which you can go from having a full health bar to being dead is remarkable. Add to that the ease at which you can lose a large amount of progress (it's not so much the loss of your leveling currency, it's the fact that enemies respawn when you either spend it or die, encouraging you to keep playing rather than go back and spend it) from a split second of mucking up, and you've got a recipe for frustration and stress.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:27 pm

I don't think they're especially harder than many newer indie titles and many many classic retro titles though. They're just harder than your average modern AAA game, which really isn't saying much because games seem to be designed to be laughably easy nowadays.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:27 pm
I don't think they're especially harder than many newer indie titles and many many classic retro titles though. They're just harder than your average modern AAA game, which really isn't saying much because games seem to be designed to be laughably easy nowadays.
I tend to stay away from those as well in fairness, like Cuphead, most things with roguelike in the description etc.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:09 pm

I'm going to wait for it to be on sale and snap it up :)
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 am

Mantis wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:27 pm
I don't think they're especially harder than many newer indie titles and many many classic retro titles though.
For me it's not so much the difficulty as the fact that when you die, you have to go through 10-15 minutes of doing the same stuff over and over again on the basis that you'll get better at it. I don't have the time or patience for that, and I don't find that approach makes me any better - it makes me increasingly annoyed which means I end up rushing and failing. It's not an enjoyable challenge.

I know we've had this argument before and it dismayed many people, but it bears saying again: There is no good reason why Dark Souls (and games of a similar ilk) couldn't include an easy mode where you can quicksave, or at least save before a boss fight. Come at me.

*saves*

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:17 am

:lol: