Pathway - Indiana Jones meets FTL meets XCOM - out April 11th

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Pathway - Indiana Jones meets FTL meets XCOM - out April 11th

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:11 am

This sounds like it could be fantastic... it's basically a mash-up of several different things, all of which are amazing - Indiana Jones-esque storyline and aesthetic, FTL-esque mechanics, squad-based XCOM-esque combat. All for £13.

If the initial user reviews are positive then this will probably be a day 1 purchase for me.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Pathway - Indiana Jones meets FTL meets XCOM - out April 11th

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Saw you firing this up, Dj... how is it? :)

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:09 pm

He's on the case. :)

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:32 pm

It's a lot of fun, FTL mixed with turn-based combat.

I managed to finish my first mission first time out although there were a few casualties along the way. Natalya bought it on the first combat mission and a friendly dog I ran into along the way died on the final mission after we ran out of fuel and had to walk to the final point on the map.I did manage to take on four enemies and win in the final area which was a neat achievement. The final guy was a medic who didn't seem to attack just run and heal so it turned into a bit of a Benny Hill sketch with me chasing him round the map. Then suddenly he turned and fired on me! I wasn't expecting that, luckily it didn't kill me and I finally managed to finish him off with a bleed attack.

Money and XP carry over and anyone who got knocked out is unavailable for a few missions while they heal up. Each character has skills they can use which use up braver points, these slowly refill during rounds.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:14 pm

sounds vaguely interesting! but where the hell do i find the time to play it??
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:15 am

Seen this hovering around a Mixed rating on Steam, and now a pretty downbeat review on PCG:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/pathway-review/

Seems like everyone enjoys the first mission or even couple of missions, but after that becomes a chore because of repetitive combat and scenarios.

Bit of a shame, was such an intriguing premise. Maybe the devs will continue adding new scenarios and tweak combat to make it less repetitive.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 am

According to the developers the procedural generation isn't working quite right so you are seeing more repetition than you should right now. They are working on fixing it. You do have to grind a bit but I'm still enjoying the game and find the combat fun enough that I don't mind.