Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:32 pm

I have played a good chunk of this today and so far it's been enjoyable enough. There has been a lot of talk about it being Uncharted crossed with Dark Souls but I would say after working my way through the first three areas that it reminds me more of the new Tomb Raider games. The start is very Uncharted but the story and characters are nowhere near as interesting as those games and it's mainly about the action on screen rather than any chat and story, it is also fairly puzzle heavy in places.

Combat wise it is a bit like Dark Souls but it doesn't have the same kind of heft and anytime you fight someone who isn't a human it becomes a bit mashy as it is harder to tell when a non-human is attacking. The parry system is pretty good but it doesn't have the finesse of Sekiro which could be because of the difficulty I'm playing on or it could just be that the combat is rather light.

Basically it is one of those game that when you are playing you are having a pretty decent time but once you stop you don;t have any real desire to go right back and once the game has been completed you wont really think about it much afterwards and if you took off the Star Wars veneer I don't think I would have even bothered playing it.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:20 am

This may well be the first SW game I've bought since KoToR, then.

Nice.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:38 pm

So that's Fallen Order finished up. I have fairly mixed feelings about it overall. It's a solidly made game which borrows HEAVILY from other games without adding anything new and I do think if it wasn't a Star Wars game I would have given up at some point, but killing the Empire's goons remained just about fun enough to see me to the end, it certainly wasn't the story which is very poor.

I think they made a mistake of trying to put Souls style combat into the game as it only really works one-on-one which is basically the boss fights and early on when you face off against solo Inquisitor enemies. Later on it falls apart as they throw multiple types of enemies against you and you are trying to break down the guard of multiple foes, plus block and deal with blaster fire, it creates an artificial difficulty and I think they would have been better served reducing the amount of enemies you faced at at time and just making the Inquisitor enemies tougher, a bit like the way Sekiro does it. Most fights devolved into me constantly dodging round the arena trying to get enemies alone which doesn't make for fun gameplay. Maybe it was the difficulty I played on and it feels better the next step down, I dread to think what it is like to play at the next step up which is the highest difficulty. Oh and anytime you face a beast it's a right pain as tells are often tough to pick out.I think ultimately it is a safe product, one born out of the strife that EA have had with regards to getting a singleplayer game out the door, there is a fair bit of fan service and at one point they take it too far but it is a competent Star Wars game which will please some more than others.

One final thing, I beat the last boss when I was on basically no health and had run out of healing which feels fitting for a game trying to ape Dark Souls.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:33 pm

Just finished. Thoroughly enjoyed that. What a great, plot-driven, self-contained single-player experience, with no padding or microtransaction bollocks and customisation options you unlock organically through just playing the game.

See EA, you can do it! :)

I read the other day there's a sequel in the works, if it ends up as good as this could see that being a day one purchase.

Big recommend to any others with Game Pass.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:39 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:38 pm
Maybe it was the difficulty I played on and it feels better the next step down, I dread to think what it is like to play at the next step up which is the highest difficulty. Oh and anytime you face a beast it's a right pain as tells are often tough to pick out.
Interesting that you mention the difficulty level, I decided upon starting that I had no interest in Souls-like attritional combat so played on story mode, which imho made it much more fun an arcadey and less of a chore to get through.

I really enjoyed the environmental traversal and puzzles, and hunting for secrets and hidden areas.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:14 pm

I keep trying to get into it and end up distracted by other games after a few hours. It seems good, it just hasn't grabbed my attention for some reason. I will endeavour to get back into it!

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:52 pm

I own but have never completed the original. I should maybe give it a second chance.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:56 pm

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:03 pm

Addition - For console players who plan to pick up Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, the game requires far less space. According to the landing page for the standard version on the Xbox store, the install size sits at 43.98 GB.

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/ ... w6li3vmc00

Source: Polygon

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:20 pm

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:18 am

Apparently the performance on PC is really bad, maybe wait for a fix...

pappaduck

Post by pappaduck » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:46 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:18 am
Apparently the performance on PC is really bad, maybe wait for a fix...
This VRAM issue seems to be a problem in a number of titles, I don't know if its a UE4 problem but Hardware Unboxed have been pretty scathing about cards with less than 16GB of VRAM which seems absurd.

I was hoping this 3070 I bought a couple of years back would last longer running games at 1440p.

Never finished the last Jedi game but enjoyed what I played. I might go back to it now I've finally finished Breath of the Wild...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:24 pm

I was planning on holding off given the first game launched with technical issues anyway, but you'd think they'd have made sure the sequel launched with minimal problems given how well publicised Fallen Order's were. Seemingly the console versions have issues in both quality and performance modes too.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:16 pm

:lol:

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:02 am

Performance isn't meant to be a whole lot better on consoles. Looks like it was rushed out.