Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - new fantasy tactics RPG out now

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - new fantasy tactics RPG out now

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 01, 2019 9:20 am

Had my eye on this for a while, didn't jump into the Early Access but it was released fully yesterday.

People have compared it to Final Fantasy Tactics, but I haven't played that so no idea, but it does look like an intriguing turn-based tactical RPG thingy so colour me interested.

There's a free demo that can be had here, downloading it now:

https://gamejolt.com/games/fellseal/278 ... ild/680948

Steam page:

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - new fantasy tactics RPG out now

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 am

I wished I'd grabbed this at it's much lower price. FF Tactics was a brilliant game and I've always been interested in getting into the Disgaea games which are similar.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

Yeah, it's a bit pricey given that Druidstone, which appears to be in a very similar genre, is out on the 15th, costs a bit less and looks like it might be the better game (I do love me some puzzles).

But I'll give the demo a whirl and see what I think.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed May 01, 2019 10:33 am

This is a bit different from Druidstone if it is following the FF Tactics route, a lot more stat heavy and focused on stuff like elevation. I think you would prefer Druidstone which looks to be a lot more like Divinity: OS.

Honestly I am probably better off picking up Disgaea 5 on Switch which is currently £25.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 01, 2019 10:38 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:33 am
This is a bit different from Druidstone if it is following the FF Tactics route, a lot more stat heavy and focused on stuff like elevation. I think you would prefer Druidstone which looks to be a lot more like Divinity: OS.

Honestly I am probably better off picking up Disgaea 5 on Switch which is currently £25.
Yeah, that's my gut feeling as well. I think I'm picking up Druidstone either way, may keep this wishlisted in hope of a future sale.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 01, 2019 12:40 pm

Only played about 30 minutes of the demo (the first two battles basically), and it seems pretty neat.

Think I'll pick it up, not sure when though. Like Dj I kind of which now I'd jumped on the EA price, didn't realise it was coming out so soon...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Played a bit more. It's a fun game, and you can see how flexible it can be with characters being able to switch classes at will (within reason) and unlock different skills.

That said I'm not seeing a huge amount going on tactically, so far at least. Movement is quite limited, as is spell range, so you can only do so much in terms of positioning or being clever with magic (in fact the one time I tried to get my wizard in a position to actually hit enemies with a spell he was mobbed and killed quite quickly). Maybe that improves as you level up characters, not sure.

For the price I think I'll stick with my plan of buying Druidstone and picking this up in a sale. I do recommend giving the demo a whirl though if you're interested.