U Boat

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Snowy
Local

U Boat

Post by Snowy » Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 am

I have been keeping an eye on a title in development for a while now, being a big fan of the old Silent Hunter titles and the mixture of ambush predator and claustrophobic terror that submarine sims project when done well.

U Boat was released to early access yesterday, but I am now in two minds about it. It looks like it has all the aspects that I would enjoy, but also gives you a kinda Fallout Shelter job of looking after the crew who can all lose their shit if you get it wrong, or get sick, or various other bad things that I suspect could get in the way of stealthy hunting of allied shipping.

Anyone picked it up?
Last edited by Snowy on Thu May 02, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Re: U Boat

Post by Rusty » Thu May 02, 2019 7:21 am

Reading the reviews:
After 10 hours my biggest frustration with the actual gameplay is that there is too much needless busywork with the crew management
clearly this is a very different game, more management, less tactical
My first Impressions were, kind of a better version of Shelter
-- To be completed at some point --

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri May 03, 2019 5:04 pm

That's a shame, Silent Hunter was a brilliant series and nothing has ever really compared with it. In depth crew morale management is really not something I am interested in when it comes to this genre of game.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri May 03, 2019 5:49 pm

Morale is a thing for eldritch horror games, surely.

Wait, guys, I've got a great idea for an expansion pack... Nazis at R'lyeh! - Manage your elite Kriegsmarine officers and discover the secret SS informant as the Fuhrer demands the secrets of the Great Old Ones!

I'd play that.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Let the Reich One In

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Pretty buggy and not in depth enough at the moment when it comes to Silent hunter levels of things you're in full control over. You know using the map and stopwatch to work out the speed of the target. This game does it all for you when you go to fire a torpedo.

I do like being able to walk around inside and fiddle with the equipment but the mucking around with crew stuff feels off putting. Might be something I'd like as I do like it in say Rimworld.

If they do add it in as a option or mode for more in depth stuff like that I'll be more inclined to buy it. But keeping my eye on it's development though :)
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat May 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Shame I too was keeping an eye on this but it looks like it's overkill on micro management. Hopefully the full release will cut down on the micro management
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4