Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Animalmother
Local

Re: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Post by Animalmother » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:54 am

Rusty wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:53 pm

We decided to go to a 5 skull region just to get some funky gun he'd seen on the interwebs. That was a bit frustarting. I hate the purple army ones that ramp up to silly proportions if you fail at the stealth. But we got it anyway and are now about to start the main campaign :)
I had the same idea when I started playing, got my ass handed to me and decided I didn't really need that gun just yet.
If you got the version with the bonus missions I'd avoid doing any in that region as they glitch and make taking down the area commander impossible.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:10 am

Rusty wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:53 pm
Just picked up another copy of wildlands so I can play with my son. It was about 12 quid. Hopefully we'll have many hours of fun out of this. I started again as I couldn't remember anything from my first play through.

We decided to go to a 5 skull region just to get some funky gun he'd seen on the interwebs. That was a bit frustarting. I hate the purple army ones that ramp up to silly proportions if you fail at the stealth. But we got it anyway and are now about to start the main campaign :)
If you want a third man along for the ride, add OriginalSnowy on uPlay :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:09 pm

I did say to my son: "don't be surprised if someone called snowy turns up as if he sees playing this he may jump on :)"
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Could happen, although not today as had to take my wife to the airport.

Watch this space - will keep my chat squeaky clean too btw
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 pm

Not bothered about Breakpoint but I've just started co-oping Wildlands with a friend and we're having a surprising blast so far. It's arcadey as hell but there's still a lot of fun to be had stealthily taking out an entire base of enemies in a tropical storm at night.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed Origins on PS4 too though and it's so funny to see the cross over with the eagle/drone mechanics.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:52 am

Wildlands is great fun, it is nice to see people picking it up.

If you turn the difficulty to maximum, and turn off a lot of the features that make you prescient (except the enemy marking which we left on, otherwise it becomes nightmarishly hard) it forces you to be stealthy, which is very cool. However, stuff still goes wrong, and when it does the game supports full-blown action-movie heroics beautifully.

People complain that it is too samey, but if you love the premise then you basically have oodles of different tactical challenges waiting for you to play out. With a game like this, I always felt that you could not have too much. This was mainly why I was so disappointed with the changes they made to Breakpoint - when for years publishers have been issuing copy and paste identikit versions of their games annually Ubi choose to do some awful RPG-lite homogenisation with their titles. All I wanted was more of the same, maybe tighten up the vehicle controls a little, improve the AI (although they got it to a pretty good point in the end) and give me a new massive world to play in. But no - bullet sponges and loot crates, you utter fuckers.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Angry Joe gave it 3/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 pm

Interesting you should mention the RPG lite mechanics that Ubisoft seem to be cramming into every single game they make, Ian. I'm just finishing off AC Origins and have found the changes over the original format to make the game a fair bit more interesting. Watching clips for Odyssey though and it seems they've gone too far with it. I do not relish the idea of having branching dialogue options in a series like that where the plot and writing is generally really not worth giving much attention to.

Likewise with bullet sponge enemies. I absolutely hate those in shooters. I was happy that sneaking around the camps in Wildlands and headshotting enemies with a silenced pistol is a very viable tactic.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:05 am

Mantis wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 pm
Likewise with bullet sponge enemies. I absolutely hate those in shooters. I was happy that sneaking around the camps in Wildlands and headshotting enemies with a silenced pistol is a very viable tactic.
:lol: meanwhile....Call Of Duty

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 pm
Interesting you should mention the RPG lite mechanics that Ubisoft seem to be cramming into every single game they make, Ian. I'm just finishing off AC Origins and have found the changes over the original format to make the game a fair bit more interesting. Watching clips for Odyssey though and it seems they've gone too far with it. I do not relish the idea of having branching dialogue options in a series like that where the plot and writing is generally really not worth giving much attention to.
Actually they refine it nicely in Odyssey. I have played a heap of the game, which I picked up after enjoying and finishing Origins, and keep on going back for more. I have unconsciously stopped playing it a few times but fire it back up, jump back in and have a ball.

With AssCreed I think the RPG element works. The worlds have become so expansive that giving you a structure like an old-school RPG makes for an enjoyable mechanic, but they have to realise that it doesn't work for every genre.

A tactical shooter (and with the difficulty dialled up GR:W can be that) must remain a tactical shooter. They have completely screwed the pooch on this one.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:35 pm

Well I never, I hadn't expected to come back to this thread following my experiences with the beta, however I chanced upon an article in RPS the other day that piqued my interest.

It would appear that after the huge-selling and (justifiably) extremely popular Wildlands, Breakpoint sold like a bucket of cold sick. I am not at all surprised, I said from the outset that Division-style MMO-lite gameplay was totally at odds with the tactical shooter roots of the games. Picking up a baseball cap that is a higher level than a tactical helmet and therefore increases your survivability was just nuts. Then there was the 'ooh robots!' gameplay - I like my tactical shooters to be at least a bit grounded in reality and have no desire to shoot up bullet sponge robots.

Now, the latter part is unfortunately baked in as part of the story, buuuuut the sales figures must really have hurt them on one of their premium franchises, as it would appear that they have made some massive changes to how you can choose to play.
RPS Article wrote:When you load up Breakpoint from March 24th, you’ll get the option to choose between three game modes: one to play the it as it originally was, one that gets rid of that rubbish tiered loot and gear levels, and one that lets you customise a bunch of settings to personalise your game.
Now if I read that correctly, it sounds like they are going back to the Wildlands approach - choose the gear you like (OK, maybe some macguffins to unlock certain elements) and take on the world with everything being as it should be, no bullet sponge enemies that are "too high level" - excepting the drones I guess.

A little shop around showed that there is a publisher sale currently going on on the Epic gamestore *cue hisses* with the game £20 till tomorrow. For reasons unknown Epic had decided I needed a £10 off voucher too so I bagged it for a tenner. Two Ubi games in one weekend, with Division 2 having been £1.79 on Friday which was just too cheap for me to forego.

I gave Breakpoint a tryout today, granted in silly MMO clothes, but I wanted to see how it has evolved. Quite nicely is the answer, vehicles feel a lot better with cars handling better than in Wildlands but weirdly helicopters having no heft whatsoever and you no longer start gasping like an asthmatic pit pony if you dare to run for 10 yards. Another nice point is that the prescience of the enemies has gone - in Wildlands you would have them home in on you relentlessly once you had been identified, but in Breakpoint if you break LOS and scuttle off, the bads will all head to your last known location. This makes for some great cat & mouse battles.

So yeah, for a tenner I am in. And come the 24th I eagerly await the revised game mode - just need to convince my co-op buddy to take the plunge now.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 am

Funnily enough I've had a craving for Wildlands recently, if I can get this for cheap then I'll definitely have a look.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:20 pm

I have probably asked before - you play it on PC or console AM? Happy to hook up to scratch that itch for you either on Wildlands or Breakpoint.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:47 pm

Dirty peasant I'm afraid. Checked price of Breakpoint on console, 60 fucking euro. Cunts :x

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:39 pm

Going very cheap at the moment (on console anyway). Has the update improved it?