Bar Staff

Re: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:52 pm

Free copy of game and DLC...
From October 5-11, you can claim a free copy of the original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon for PC alongside the Fallen Ghosts DLC for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands and the Deep State Adventure for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint. All the giveaways can either be claimed directly through the Ubisoft Connect launcher on PC or via a giveaway page, where you can choose your platform of choice should you want the Wildlands DLC for Xbox One , PlayStation 4, Stadia, or on the Epic Games Store. The original Ghost Recon is only available on PC.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/ghos ... tober-2021

And this new battle royale :x

Ah you beat me to it DJ. Not something I'll be playing anyway.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:19 pm

So the two upcoming Ghost Recon games are a Battle Royale and a Hero Shooter. Again, the game itself doesn't look shit (even if it's not for me), but it's just such a pathetic use of a license that used to mean slow-paced tactical action.

What's next; Ghost Recon Tactical Air Drop - a falling block puzzle game where you clear blocks by connecting a weapon to a scope, rail and magazine block? Actually, scratch that, I don't want to give them ideas.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:12 pm

Here's me thinking Deep State was a new expansion, and I've just worked out it's only a giveaway for those who don't already have it. Just wasted an hour swearing because I couldn't play it even though it says I own it....only to realize that is what Episode 2 is called, so I've completed it already.

FFS ](*,)
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:20 am

Disappointed as all heck with this news.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:40 am

If it helps, the Fallen Ghosts expansion for Wildlands is decent (although there are a couple of awful missions in it). Overall though, why have they not realised that the franchise is a brilliant one if they just stick to what it is about? Honestly, Ubi could fuck up making a cup of tea.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 am

Will they be genuinely perplexed when no one gives a shit about either of these new games? Probably.

Ubisoft is full of talent but empty of direction or originality it would seem.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:29 am

Thing is, they seem great at locking onto ideas that people like then rinsing them till everyone is sick to the back teeth of them - looking at Far Cry, AssCreed etc. Take Wildlands though, which sold hugely for them, and they just locked into completely fucking it up. The expansions were dogshit (Nitro Road) or unsatisfying (having Fallen Ghosts take place outside the main campaign with new toons, plus awful finale missions that removed any option for tactical play). Then Breakpoint as a sequel which was fucking diabolical at launch, and even though I have had a load of fun with it since it has been fixed it would have been loads better were it not set in fantasy-land.

And now, what? A load of derivative shit with the Tom Clancy name, when all anyone wants is a map like Wildlands, gameplay improvements like we see in Breakpoint, and here, take my damn money. The one title they don't rinse and repeat is the only one that was really good from the get-go.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:34 am

The trailer doesn't give many hints at the style of gameplay, though I suspect it will be your fairly rudimentary run and gun affair. I'm really bored of Ubisoft's obsession with drone style scouting units, they even managed to cram it into Assassin's Creed with the hover Eagle.

There is definitely a market for slower paced, more tactical battle royale style games. Hunt Showdown currently has that crown by a significant margin, best PvP game I've ever played.

Ghost Recon could have made for a very interesting tactical PvP game. It's a shame that the trailer suggests that they're going down a more arcadey route.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:00 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:34 am
Ghost Recon could have made for a very interesting tactical PvP game. It's a shame that the trailer suggests that they're going down a more arcadey route.
Personally I am not interested in any PvP titles, the world is full of them. Co-op is a hugely under-exploited seam of gameplay where you can go against opponents who can be relied upon to work in a manner similar to the real world and without the toxicity on adversarial play. The shared experience is way richer imo than the PvP one.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:44 pm

Oh I agree 100%, but given the choice between an arcadey PvP battle royale game or something a bit more slow and tactical where you can make meaningful choices on your approach, I'd go for the slower more thoughtful game every time. My PvP gaming is strictly limited to Hunt nowadays, I don't have the stomach for much else or anything hyper competitive.

What I'd really like to see is a Ghost Recon game more in line with the original games. Wildlands and Breakpoint are okay, but I find them incredibly repetitive and pretty much every base assault works out the same. I really am not keen on Ubisoft's obsession with enormous open worlds with maps full of icons that all play out the same. Their games replace depth with sheer glut and they wear thin with me very quickly.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:32 pm

Mantis, what you're describing is exactly what 99% of the GR community wanted, myself included of course. The GR subreddit is on fire with memes, anger, rants, etc. Hell, they could have revamped GRAW for cryin out loud and wound up with a new generation of players. Here's to hoping they'll take a hint and create a game that we want to buy, in a few years.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:43 am

Mantis wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:44 pm
Wildlands and Breakpoint are okay, but I find them incredibly repetitive and pretty much every base assault works out the same. I really am not keen on Ubisoft's obsession with enormous open worlds with maps full of icons that all play out the same. Their games replace depth with sheer glut and they wear thin with me very quickly.
I can understand that. For me both Wildlands and Breakpoint are primarily vehicles for a shared experience and that is what I enjoy. Co-op gaming is as much the opportunity to chat to mates as it is the gaming experience. Taking Breakpoint as a recent example, we fell into roles that really worked, Todd providing overwatch, with Chris and I sneaking into the bases clearing down the opposition. Seeing the sudden spiralling vapour trail of a sniper round whipping past to take down an unseen enemy was so damned cool, it really conjured the illusion of being part of a small spec-ops team. The layout of the base, the focus of the mission, both were largely irrelevant other than to place us in the scenario where we could work as a team.

The open worlds also help in this regard, with frequent discussions as we hover in a helo above the mission zone as to where to put the bird down, the best route to infiltrate from etc. For me, the recent GR games are a huge platter of tactical delicacies to be eaten in whatever order you like, which works fine for me. That said, I would be just as happy with a GRAW reboot. I just want good tactical combat in a co-op setting, surely not that much to ask?
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:25 am

Yeah, I have to say I completely dismissed Wildlands when I first played the pre-release beta as another crap action game, but playing as a group made for a really fun time. The game doesn't go out of its way to give you those tactical options, but due to the nature of the map and the cooperation between teammates, they still give you that feeling of coldly, methodically working your way through an installation. There's definitely room for improvement; the AI is pretty terrible, it'd be nice if they actually worked together. and alarms did more than just making them hold their guns ready.

...but that improvement isn't going to happen if they're just slinging you on a map with a bunch of other players. AI is essential for a Ghost Recon experience because you need some level of predictability.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:48 am

I'll try and hop on for a session if you chaps are still managing to sneak any in at some point. I literally only managed to turn up for one afternoon when I last tried a few months ago. :lol: