Raid
Local

Re: Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:42 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:23 pm
Screenshots...

https://imgur.com/a/h6KujfN
Cool, so it has a distant viewpoint for gameplay, but cutscenes and conversations happen from much closer angles. Good choice.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:05 pm

It's already looking pretty great.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Looks like a pretty faithful adaptation of the 5E rules, and turn based! :D

Boxes are being ticked in my head.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:05 pm

I missed the first half hour of the stream, but everything thereafter has certainly looked very promising.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:26 pm

I’ve still a million questions and I’m slightly concerned that on the surface it looks like D:OS2 with D&D rules (what is it with Larian games starting on beaches?) but I’m more optimistic than I was.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:35 pm

D:OS2 with D&D rules would not bother me in the slightest. I love the tongue in cheek nature of those games and it's not like Baldies Gate didn't have odd humour with that chap with the space hamster. I forget his name, didn't even play the second game so my memory of the series is vague.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:48 pm

Our D&D campaign has gotten me invested in the setting, so just having a modern game in that world is reason enough for me to be interested.

Plus the ability to throw items from your inventory makes me think potato-based combat options will be available.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:57 pm

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:58 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:35 pm
D:OS2 with D&D rules would not bother me in the slightest. I love the tongue in cheek nature of those games and it's not like Baldies Gate didn't have odd humour with that chap with the space hamster. I forget his name, didn't even play the second game so my memory of the series is vague.
The thing this bothers me most about the OS games is their maps and sense of location. Everything is too condensed! You can spend 20+ hours on a single giant map, and I find it claustrophobic and kind of overwhelming. It’s hard to quantify or adequately explain, but I think it’s partly because for an epic-scale RPG I want to explore places across a wide set of distinct, well-defined areas with varied landscapes, not a couple of huge maps with loads of stuff packed into them. It’s also partly that throwing too much stuff in one place is stifling - there is such a thing as too much content. In D:OS2 I found the starting area (after the ship) a bit tedious after a while because I’d racked up quest after quest within an area of a few hundred feet and I no longer had any sense of who anyone was, what they wanted or why I was actually doing anything. It was information and choice overload.

In both OS games, I never had a sense of what any area was outside of the main towns on a map. They felt like a mass of wilderness with stuff scattered about them and no sense of distance or scale. If someone asked me to do a rough sketch of the maps, it’d be like trying to retrace my steps from a bad dream.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:33 pm

I find it quite hard to say how I feel about that. I mean, it really does look like OS with a bit of a reskin/rule change. I guess I just... figured it would be something more?

That's not to say it won't be decent in its own right, but I'd hoped they would have stylistically gone down a completely different visual path. I do find the OS graphical style - both in the game world and the UI - a bit cold and clinical at times, compared to the warmth and character of the BG games.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 am

Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 am

Seen a lot of anger about this being nothing like BG but I never thought it was going to be that similar when Larian were revealed as the developers. They were pretty bad at making RTP games and I'd argue that the PoE series has shown that there perhaps isn't as much interest in the wider gaming world for more RTP games. Seen a few people talk about Kingmaker showing that it can still function as a combat choice but even that sequel is putting in turn-based combat as an option.

I sort of get where you are coming from with the maps Wrathbone but I think they do a lot better with the second game in that respect and personally I would rather there was more on a map than the maps in the BG games where some were just a few groups of monsters and not much else. I think part of it with the Original Sin games is that you are not going backwards and forwards between places really, it is more linear and so it feels a bit different.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:16 pm

I think it's better as turn based anyway. Something never felt right about the constantly pausing to issue commands, it was just a messy system. It's more akin to actual DnD if they make it fully turn based anyway.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:35 pm

I think it worked near-perfectly in the BG games - since the realtime/pause system let you speed through the easier fights without getting bogged down while also letting you slow things down when tougher fights needed some real thought.

I do still love full TB games though. I just reckon BG found a great compromise that was really seamless.

A lot depends on the design of the game world too. More structured linear games might be able to make every fight a big challenge, where drawn-out turnbased encounters are a necessity, while the more freeform exploration of the old BG games (where you're often returning through previous areas) lent itself to a more flexible combat system.