Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Post by Mantis » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:00 pm
although I don't know if using EB as every attack would become a bit monotonous longer term to main one.
Welcome to Warlock life. 8-[

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:13 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:51 pm
By the way, WB, let me know if you wanted to try out the MP at all :)
I think I’ll wait until after Cyberpunk to restart, but yeah, would be up for it then. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:00 pm

First story update due soon:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/ ... 0702891542

It will be interesting to see what that involves. I doubt it will be new areas as what's there now seems like a pretty complete Act 1, but perhaps new playable races and classes, maybe even new party companions?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:53 am

Patch has landed, and it's a biggie - 4.8gb.

No new content as such, but lots of changes that respond to a lot of the criticisms, including making fire far less prevalent, two short rests per long rest, a hide helmet button (hooray), making it so if you jump over a gap the rest of the party follows, making companions a bit less objectionable, and lots more besides.

All positive stuff as far as I can see.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:21 am

Yeah, I had a long peruse over the change list and it's all good stuff. Very encouraging to see them listening to feedback, even if there are still a few more things I'd have them change. ;)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:07 am

New class dropping imminently - druid:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/baldurs-gate ... aded-dice/

I might not replay the whole act, but I might try out the new class for a bit to see how it feels.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:57 am

I've watched the full livestream now, and there is something deeply funny about the conversation cutscenes changing from a shot of a hideous, deformed hag taunting your party to the adorable face of a badger that doesn't offer any reaction.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 am

:lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Update is now out, so rolled a druid and took it for a little spin earlier.

I've only just met Shadowheart and reached level 2 so very early days, but feels decent to play. During the prologue the shellalagh cantrip seemed absurdly powerful; use it as a bonus action going into combat, and proceed to beat everything in sight to a fine paste :lol:

I've just got my wild shape ability and went for the sub-class that gives you the option to transform into a polar bear... because it's a frickin' polar bear, so looking forward to playing around more with that.

I've tinkered with all the classes now and one thing I can say in Larian's favour is that it's going to be incredibly difficult to decide which to play as first when it's fully released, as they've all been fun in different ways. And there's even more to come!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:52 pm

Once I've finished my latest replay of Witcher 3 (yet again), I'm going to dive back into BG3 with a new character. Druids are usually my least favourite class, but what they've done with it looks interesting.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:41 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:16 am

It's a frustratingly vague phrasing:
"We are really trying to get the game done by next year," he said. "It's not gonna release this year for sure."
To me that could mean either "It's definitely not releasing this year" or "It's not certain whether it will release this year".

Realistically it's highly unlikely to be this year, though.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 am

I read it as him not being sure they'll be able to get it done by the end of 2022, but definitely not in 2021.

Either way it's frustrating having to wait this long. It's vindicated my decision not to buy the early access, but we're now potentially looking at it being in early access for over two years, which I find to be excessive. It's good to gather user feedback, but it just feels like they're using it so that they don't have to hire in house play testers.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:57 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 am
I read it as him not being sure they'll be able to get it done by the end of 2022, but definitely not in 2021.

Either way it's frustrating having to wait this long. It's vindicated my decision not to buy the early access, but we're now potentially looking at it being in early access for over two years, which I find to be excessive. It's good to gather user feedback, but it just feels like they're using it so that they don't have to hire in house play testers.
I'm not sure that's entirely true, I think they're being ultra-cautious about taking player feedback on board so as not to upset the fans, regarding what is already a pretty big departure from the preceding games. They've already changed quite a bit from that feedback, such as the excessive use of fire tiles and explosives that Wrath mentioned previously. From what they've said the next big update will also mainly concentrate on changes made due to player feedback.

I also read they'd been set back considerably by a hack, and combined with the change in working circumstances from the pandemic, it's likely they never envisaged the EA going on for that long.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:24 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:57 am
Raid wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 am

I'm not sure that's entirely true, I think they're being ultra-cautious about taking player feedback on board so as not to upset the fans, regarding what is already a pretty big departure from the preceding games. They've already changed quite a bit from that feedback, such as the excessive use of fire tiles and explosives that Wrath mentioned previously. From what they've said the next big update will also mainly concentrate on changes made due to player feedback.

I also read they'd been set back considerably by a hack, and combined with the change in working circumstances from the pandemic, it's likely they never envisaged the EA going on for that long.
Yeah I agree with most of this especially the pandemic bit which has messed up a lot of schedules. Taking that into consideration I don't think it's a surprise that the game is taking longer to make it out of EA.