Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Baldur's Gate 3: developed by Larian Studios

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:21 am

I was able to defeat it by the heroic tactic of climbing up a nearby tree :lol:

It was working, too, until it ran off at 50% hp. I presume you can find it later - in fact in another, seemingly optional area, as we entered one of my companions commented on a nearby bulette hole - but in the absence of handy trees there I thought sod that and went a different way :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:47 pm

I watched an hour or so of Zoe from Eurogamer playing through this the other day, and I found myself agreeing with you Wrath - the surfaces are too much, and too big a departure from the rules they're supposed to be replicating. It wouldn't be so bad if the surfaces were caused only by higher level spells, or if you could ignite surfaces using cantrips only by directly targeting them rather than a character stood on one. Cantrips simply should not be capable of area denial unless written into the source material.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 pm

I should emphasise again that it’s still really good, despite my grumblings. If we’re going to compare it to the Original Sin games (which, let’s be honest, is easier than comparing it to BG1 and 2), I’d say it’s much better in every regard. These are the sort of problems I expect will be refined and balanced throughout early access so I’m not worried. The core of BG3 is excellent.

Just tone down the damn surfaces! :lol:

EDIT - A few thoughts on their approach to maps and the world in general, which I raised concerns about before release. I don’t dislike it in BG3 as much as in OS. I’d still prefer a greater number of smaller, distinct maps with a feeling of travelling about a country, because the megamaps are so densely packed with stuff going on that the scale of the world is lost completely. I did briefly see a world map at one point, but I didn’t get a proper sense of where I was or how many other areas there will be.

I think some of D&D’s essence is lost by their approach, as you’re not travelling from town to town, resting in taverns and shopping for new equipment, nor are you resting after a full day of travelling and adventuring. You’re wandering round a small patch of wilderness, resting not because it’s night or you’ve reached a destination, but because you’ve run out of spell slots. It’s like an adventuring theme park, where every conceivable danger and quest and environment is no more than five minutes in any direction. In a world of monsters and magic, this is the sort of thing that requires me to suspend my disbelief the most.
Last edited by Wrathbone on Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:36 pm

Even though that is kind of their 'thing' and what they designed the combat around in OS2, I found that it was a bit too over the top sometimes even then; like when you couldn't see the floor across the entire screen for all the fire after a chain reaction occurred. I would want it toned down substantially for Baldur's Gate so that it feels more true to D&D and the original games. There are specific spells in 5e which create area denial surfaces, it diminishes the appeal of their niche if you can create crazy chain reactions with surfaces just from cantrips.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Mantis wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:36 pm
Even though that is kind of their 'thing' and what they designed the combat around in OS2, I found that it was a bit too over the top sometimes even then; like when you couldn't see the floor across the entire screen for all the fire after a chain reaction occurred. I would want it toned down substantially for Baldur's Gate so that it feels more true to D&D and the original games. There are specific spells in 5e which create area denial surfaces, it diminishes the appeal of their niche if you can create crazy chain reactions with surfaces just from cantrips.
It definitely is substantially toned down from DOS2, for a start there are hardly any of those exploding barrels that cause chain reactions across an entire arena.

It could maybe be toned down a bit further, and I'm sure they're listening to that feedback.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:49 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 pm
I think some of D&D’s essence is lost by their approach, as you’re not travelling from town to town, resting in taverns and shopping for new equipment, nor are you resting after a full day of travelling and adventuring. You’re wandering round a small patch of wilderness, resting not because it’s night or you’ve reached a destination, but because you’ve run out of spell slots. It’s like an adventuring theme park, where every conceivable danger and quest and environment is no more than five minutes in any direction. In a world of monsters and magic, this is the sort of thing that requires me to suspend my disbelief the most.
I did find an inn, but it was on fire :lol:

To your point, maybe, but I still remember spending the equivalent of about 10 real-time days escaping from Irenicus' dungeon... most of it asleep.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:40 pm

This is quite amusing, though:

:lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:07 am

I encountered the minotaurs last night and had to call in some help to get through it:
Spoiler
Ages ago I befriended (well, intimidated into submission) some ogres who agreed to come help me when I sounded a horn. They smushed the minotaurs to a pulp.
My immediate reaction was that the minotaurs have been beefed up for the game, or that they were modified mini-bosses or something, because aside from the trick up my sleeve I had NOTHING to bring to the fight. But no, after consulting the stat block for the minotaur, holy heck are they brutal for a challenge rating 3 monster! :shock: How have I never deployed a team of these guys against you in our campaign?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 am

Noooo :lol:

Yeah, like I said in a previous post I'd have been smooshed at that point, were it not for keeping one of the minotaurs on his arse for two rounds with an ice patch.

Wait til you find the bulette -_-

Have to say, I'm quite enjoying playing a fairly evil Drow ranger, going for a dual-weapon build that's working pretty well so far, and being able to add to the party a giant spider who can enweb enemies from range or poison them up close is quite a game-changer.

It was also quite cool how I didn't need any persuasion checks to access the goblin camp, as the guards all piss their pants at the sight of me.

It also became considerably easier when I realised I could pickpocket the smith at the druid grove's entire stock without repercussions, and my entire party is now equipped with +1 gear :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:43 pm

Damn, looks like they resolved the pickpocket issue, when I tried it just now I got caught.

In any case, having hit level 4 with my ranger in the goblin camp, rather than continue through areas I've already played I went back and started a new playthrough as a tiefling warlock (wonder where I got that idea :lol:).

When I played ranger I was sure when the full game comes out I'd play as one, it was so fun, however I'm now seriously considering playing a warlock. It started out basically ok, but then at level 2 I unlocked the repelling blast ability, that means my eldritch blast can now catapult ragdolling enemies halfway across the map, which never fails to be hilarious, and on several occasions has blown them off cliffs for an insta-kill.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:48 pm

Getting bogged down by fights in the Underdark. I think at this point I might give it a month or two until more updates have rolled in and then restart as an evil character and different class. I'd love it if Barbarian was available then.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:48 pm
Getting bogged down by fights in the Underdark. I think at this point I might give it a month or two until more updates have rolled in and then restart as an evil character and different class. I'd love it if Barbarian was available then.
Was it the hook horrors? That fight was a bit of a grind. But actually there aren't that many down there... them, the minotaurs and just a couple of others I think.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:18 am

It was the hook horrors! If I’m being honest, I rage quit after spending a good 15 minutes fighting them, only for one of my guys to be sent tumbling into the abyss. :oops:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:00 pm

I've played... quite probably too much of this :lol:

I really love it. I've now played as four of the six classes available so far, taking all to level 4 but only finishing the EA with my rogue and fighter. I'll probably leave it there for now until there's more content added, and also I didn't really feel like playing as a cleric (my most yawnsome class in any RPG) or wizard, as I feel with the current level cap you're quite limited in terms of effectiveness.

First play was as a rogue, which I enjoyed, although I don't know if I'll main it when the full game comes out, as I enjoyed other classes more, and also I like Astarion so would like to keep him in the party.

Second play was as a ranger, which I really liked. Felt quite strong both in melee and ranged (I was mainly speccing for a melee build), and being able to call on a giant bear or spider from level 3 meant the group as a whole felt very strong. For this one I also played a drow, which opened up different conversation paths and made one group in particular act very differently towards you. It would be interesting to see more of that dynamic throughout the rest of the game.

Third play was as a tiefling warlock, and once you level up your eldritch blast with agonising blast and repelling blast, and can send enemies ragdolling around and flying off ledges, it was quite fun. It feels like you can build one to be pretty powerful, although I don't know if using EB as every attack would become a bit monotonous longer term to main one.

Final play was as a fighter. Usually a class I never pick because they always feel a bit vanilla-bland, but of the four I probably had the most fun here (maybe tied with ranger). First of all it meant I could kill La'Zel when you find her the second time and loot her armour :lol:. But when I found trinkets that allowed me to gain 2 AC as a bonus action and misty step, I basically became a juggernaut capable of teleporting around the battlefield, hardly ever took damage in combat (which if you pick the right feat means getting a reaction attack against any enemy that misses you in melee), and could kill most enemies in one or two hits (though difficulty did noticeably go up in the underdark... though even then I was the main damage dealer with insane survivability). Even though it was my fourth and (for now) final run, it was the one that most left me wishing I could continue as this character.

I didn't even need any fancy strategies to take down the minotaurs or hook horrors, just kept hammering at them until they went down. With the former, the fight was even easier when I saw they're vulnerable to bludgeoning damage, I switched from my greatsword to my 2h maul and was now doing circa 20-30 damage per hit rather than 1-10.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:51 pm

By the way, WB, let me know if you wanted to try out the MP at all :)