Xbox Game Pass for PC

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Xbox Game Pass for PC

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:09 am

Tunic actually falls into the same category for me! Looks cute as hell, I'd have certainly spent £20 but for GP, but having played it for an hour or so there again realised it's not for me. I get why people would enjoy it a lot, but I just can't get on with these attritional, Soulslike combat games. GP has saved me about £50 this past week :lol:

A different example would be Outer Worlds, which I was very excited for and would have pre-ordered but for the GP release. Played it there, enjoyed it well enough, but had I paid full price I'd have been left quite underwhelmed and disappointed.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:26 am

I'm still calibrating my tolerance for Soulsborne-style games. I did enjoy Elden Ring initially but got to the point where I was getting genuinely quite angry at it, put it down for a bit and then never went back. I enjoyed the hell out of Jedi: Fallen Order and I'm really loving Tunic (where I think the perspective and simpler animations mean that I pick up on the attack telegraphing much easier).

I'd never have tried Outer Worlds after bouncing hard off of Fallout: New Vegas, and, sure enough, didn't get on with Outer Worlds either.

Remember when games used to have demos? I know that's basically two decades ago now, but I find Gamepass has replaced that concept quite successfully. It's almost like piracy but with a small monthly fee to legitimise it.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:06 am

I enjoyed Outer Worlds but not enough to stick with it - I tend to find that I quickly tire of busywork RPGs these days.

Rather embarassingly Gamepass doesn't actually give me all that much - I do install things but don't have the time to put in, so often end up pinballing titles on and then off my HDD with barely any playtime. What I play most through the Xbox app is Forza 5 (which I bought as I love hooning about in the Forza titles).

Recently:
- Guardians of the Galaxy - would not work with a gamepad, uninstalled.
- Ori and the Will o' the wisps - looked nice but got stuck for 5 mins on the opening sequence and had to go and do something else, uninstalled as I knew I would never go back
- Kentucky Route Zero - played for a few minutes, figured it might be interesting, but didn't instantly grab me. Uninstalled.
- Hitman Trilogy - enjoyed a few missions and will probably go back, but uninstalled as I needed the M2 drive space.
- Aragami 2 - just installed... let's see...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:19 am

I did actually download a bunch of stuff last night as part of me trying to make better use of my subscription:
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Tell Me Why; the Life is Strange series is one of those ones that I reckon I'll probably like, but I never got around to it when it was on Gamepass, so jumped at this one when I realised it was on there
-Donut County, which I've seen recommended a whole lot
-Backbone; nice art style, and I tend to quite like Noir-ish things
...aaaand Perfect Dark: Zero, which I have very fond memories of but I'm pretty sure was dreadful and I enjoyed because it was one of only two games I was interested in when the 360 launched, and I wanted to see how accurate my memory was.

Obviously what actually happened was I went to play Tunic while some of this downloaded, and got so engrossed that I didn't come up for air until it was time for bed. :lol:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:23 pm

Weird West seems fun
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:38 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:23 pm
Weird West seems fun
It's ok, but what let it down, in my view, is the combat is excessively chaotic and hard to hit anything once it all kicks off. Strange control system.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:24 pm

Agree. Aragami 2 however is a sublime little game, you feel properly ninja :)
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:45 pm

Cool, I'll check it out.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:29 pm

Resubscribed until May 2024, saving myself over £190 with the CDKeys Gold trick. That is a sizeable amount, well worth doing for anyone whose sub is almost up.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:31 pm

Great stuff, yep for £3 p/m it's a stunning deal

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:04 pm

Yeah, I'm fully planning on going for the full two years when my current plan expires next week. Do we have any idea what the offer is actually called? I'll need to check it's still on before buying seventy quid's worth of Gold that's worthless to me if the offer ends.

What do you do to activate it, just add the Gold codes to your Microsoft account?

Edit: Ignore that, Sly posted the process on the previous page.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:14 pm

It still works as of today. I picked up two years worth of Live Gold for £36 each off CDKeys and added them to my account then it gave me the option of upgrading to Ultimate for an extra months subscription cost. When you accept that it brings up the message about converting your existing Live subscription over.

Just be warned the conversion is limited to 36 months only. So if you bought more than 3 years worth of Live then you will lose the extra months.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:45 am

Out of curiosity what's the benefit of an Ultimate upgrade - assume it is only worth it if you also own an Xbox?
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:53 am

I think it gives you access to EA Play as well

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:04 am

Hmm, I don't think so. I have access to EA Play and don't have ultimate (that I know of).

E: this page shows the tiers at the bottom. Additions for ultimate appear to be Xbox Live Gold, Exclusive free Perks, and access to Xbox Cloud Gaming.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.