Pillars of Eternity 2

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Wrathbone

Pillars of Eternity 2

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:22 pm

I’ve just finished a second run through Pillars 2 with all the DLC and I need to gush about it a bit. I seem to remember doing similar after my first run, but that was back on PW and the game deserves more attention than it gets. It’s extraordianary, and the content improvements from patches and DLC (well... 2 of the 3) have only made it better. I know many didn’t enjoy Pillars 1, but this is distinct and superior in a multitude of ways - the story is sprawling, engaging and occasionally profound, the tone is now upbeat rather than po-faced, the world is reactive to your choices and unique aspects of your character and it’s one of the best seafaring / pirating games I’ve ever played. If anyone wants to play it but can’t face the slog of Pillars 1 first, seriously, just read the plot summary on Wikipedia and get stuck into Deadfire.

The DLC, while not essential, is mostly excellent, with each one focused around a different god. Beast of Winter and Forgotten Sanctum are substantial adventures in their own right, and the consequences of them also integrate impressively into the main story. Seeker, Slayer, Survivor is still decent but it’s little more than a series of arena battles with some lore draped over them.

For me, Pillars 2 is up there with Witcher 3 as one of the modern RPG benchmarks. It is a rich world worth exploring, brimming with secrets and adventures and political turmoil which you can influence or manipulate in subtle or overt ways. It’s a story about colonial exploitation, a divine civil war and the value of reality itself. And pirates. Lots of pirates. Everyone who loves a good RPG should give it the time it deserves.