Cube World - Out September 30th

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Cube World - Out September 30th

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:51 pm

I found a fix to get it running on Win7, but...

I think I'm done. I ran around for a while, took me ages to find a village, where you're supposed to find quests that will help you get better gear, only to find when I got there everyone was turned to stone. A check of the forum and I'm supposed to track down a witch somewhere and kill it to free the villagers. The problem is my starting gear is so shite I got two-shotted by a fly.

I've been killed by various things of various levels since, including an onion.

I can't see a way to play this game, and I'm not sure I can be arsed to do so.

What a shame.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:18 pm

I played a couple more hours, and made a bit more headway with it. I think the key was rerolling a warrior; I went with a ranger first but where before I was pew-pewing mobs ineffectually from distance only for them to run up and one-shot me, the warrior a) actually does damage b) has some decent fighting skills and c) a bit more survivability.

I've been able to take on groups of enemies my level (one of the warrior skills is a whirlwind move that both blocks enemy attacks and can heal you), and picked off individual enemies a level above me. I've traversed a chunk of my starting region in this manner, and have acquired a boat, glider and climbing spikes to aid traversal.

However, I haven't found a single piece of loot to raise my 'level'. I've killed maybe 20-30 enemies and got two pieces of equipment to drop, neither of which was usable by my class. I bought a marginally better weapon from the shop in a town I found, but he didn't sell anything better than that, so not sure where to go after this really.

I guess you're meant to keep killing dozens of mobs hoping for a relevant piece of equipment to drop but a) low-level enemies aren't plentiful and b) combat isn't enjoyable enough to want to do that.

That said once you're playing it you do find yourself being weirdly sucked in.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:01 am

The old XP system worked really well I thought. Picking off solitary enemies to try to squeeze a bit more xp for a level up.
I had a mega quick 5 minute go last night as a ranger and like you said, I pulled 2 flies and managed to cheese them a bit and killed them. Then pulled 2 more but they ran straight up to me and then pretty much one shot me.

I'm jumping on this tonight with my son but I must remember to temper his enthusiasm a bit before hand. Wonder if co-op will be better suited to the game?
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:02 am

Starting to make headway in this now. I started finding white-level quests, one of which was a daunting 4k hp boss, but my warrior's heal-attack ability meant I was able to whittle him down, and was rewarded with a green-level weapon. I was then able to take on higher level quests and enemies, which have started to reward other higher level gear.

I was also able to train a pet and now ride a fearsome collie into battle :lol:

People have discovered that if you 100% a region then it apparently makes it so your gear doesn't degrade when you move to the next region.

It took a bit of stick-to-it-iveness, but I'm starting to enjoy this quite a bit now.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:10 am

Good to hear, actually.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:47 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:10 am
Good to hear, actually.
It feels like the difficulty curve is the inverse of what you'd expect - a solid cliff-face at the beginning, but gradually becoming easier as you chip away at things bit by bit. I've gone from running away from a crow to charging into groups of green-level mobs and laying waste to them.

I think class makes a huge difference here, at least in my somewhat limited experience. Ranger felt massively weak, and I'm hearing mage is similarly so - basically your damage isn't enough to kill enemies before they reach you, and your hp is so low you can't withstand their attack for more than a couple of hits.

Playing a warrior is where it turned around for me, and I've read that people playing rogues are similarly having a good time with it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

I tend to stick to ranged in these things (can't remember what rediculous level I got my Alpha character to) so it's handy to know that warrior/rogue can actually play the game :)

i would have stopped playing an unfairly challenging game.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Definitely. I'm still in the starting region, but I'm now all-purple equipment, in the process of trying to upgrade to gold (legendary). I've completed one dungeon, which was pretty fun, and am working my way around the countryside slaughtering mobs of blues and purples. Bosses of my level can still provide a challenge, some have big attacks and if you get your dodge timing wrong can still take you down pretty quick.

Overall, pretty fun now. My intention is to 100% the region before moving on so my gear doesn't reset.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:39 pm

And lo, just as quickly as it began, the fun came to a grinding halt, leaving in its place only frothing rage.

I'm still in my starting area. I have all legendary equipment after much grinding of resources and scouring far and wide for iron ore - ie as high-level as it is possible to get for the purposes of combat.

I have two objectives left, both rated yellow. The first is an enemy base where you have to defeat four mini-bosses before a mega-boss spawns you also have to defeat. First three mini-bosses were challenging, but I eventually toppled them. Over the course of the next real-life hour the fourth ground me into paste over and over and over, each time requiring a respawn at a semi-nearby temple and increasingly wearying hike back to where I died. In the end, I gave up, just couldn't do it. The guy has 15k hp (I have 2.5k) and every few seconds casts an explosive spell with four blasts each of which causes 1k damage. This was most often an instant kill. If I managed to dodge more than two of the blasts, invariably my health would be so low he'd kill me with the next hit. I never got his health down to more than 50% (they heal in-between attempts).

The second was a castle-cum-dungeon. The first couple of floors were a breeze, full of blues and purples I could chew through without taking damage. Then you get a key from one of the corpses, it opens a new door, and there's an area now with yellow-strength enemies. The mobs I dispatched with little difficulty, but then ran into a boss the size of a house who two-shots me (17k hp this time), and when I respawn and hike all the way back, the steel door is now locked again and apparently the key melted the first time I used it. Ie, I ain't getting back in there to try again. Enemies reset after midnight, but to be perfectly honest I can't work up the enthusiasm for doing it all over again only to probably die again at the same point, because of the way the 'levelling' system works it is impossible for me to become any stronger than I am now.

I could move to a new area, lose all the gear I spent a dozen hours accruing and start again from scratch.

But, in all honesty, I think I'm done.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 am

Damn. My son and i spent about 3 hours last night having fun exploring but I think we've hit a simialr problem.. we've not come across 1 upgrade to our weapons or armour. So every time we kill (white only - god that sounds racist) mobs they drop just money. That money did buy us a slightly better white weapon each but not enough.

We spent nearly an hour trying to down a boss and leaving one of the corpses at the site so he didn't despawn/reheal. Whittling down his health by a few hundred each time before he instakills us. Then one of us respawning a wee while away and hiking back in. We then switch over who does the corpse watch whilst the other one respawn and hiked back.

Eventually killed him but he dropped.. nothing...some coins...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:35 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:44 am
Damn. My son and i spent about 3 hours last night having fun exploring but I think we've hit a simialr problem.. we've not come across 1 upgrade to our weapons or armour. So every time we kill (white only - god that sounds racist) mobs they drop just money. That money did buy us a slightly better white weapon each but not enough.

We spent nearly an hour trying to down a boss and leaving one of the corpses at the site so he didn't despawn/reheal. Whittling down his health by a few hundred each time before he instakills us. Then one of us respawning a wee while away and hiking back in. We then switch over who does the corpse watch whilst the other one respawn and hiked back.

Eventually killed him but he dropped.. nothing...some coins...
That's annoying, in my experience all bosses and 'named' enemies have dropped gear, and usually a level above their own.

I did complete those two enemy bases in the end, though it was tight and died a few more times. As far as I can tell I've now 100% completed this region (when you reach 100% lore level it shows all remaining explorable sites), but it hasn't upgraded my gear to '+' quality for some reason, so I'll lose it all when I leave the region, and basically start over again somewhere else, which is a bit of a downer.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:40 am

Out yesterday, currently sitting on 42% positive on Steam:

People are really pissed off by the changes from the alpha.

As for me, after 30 hours I think I'm done with it. I've had a go at each of the classes and in a couple of those I enjoyed the most I did a few different regions to get a feel for the region-locking mechanics and intended gameplay loop.

The foundations of a fun game are there. Once you're get over the initial hump and start progressing in a region, taking on progressively harder missions and enemies, taming pets and riding them about... it's strangely compelling. But then going into a new region and losing everything is a huge drag, every time. I don't even think the system is simply broken, after a couple of regions it felt like I wouldn't even mind losing weapons and armour. But losing your methods of travel every single time is awful whenever it happens. Walking is so slow, and swimming even slower, that suddenly not being able to move faster by riding, gliding or sailing, or be able to climb up rocks even, is awful. It should be changed so you keep those, if nothing else.

People are angry about what happened to a game they enjoyed in 2013 and what was promised not matching the final product, but if it ever hits a massive discount, or if the developer ever addresses those issues, then it is worth checking out for the fun there is to be had.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:52 am

I still haven't given it the time it deserves before I bin it :) I still thro in a hour or so here ans there. Haven't even left the first region yet but do have a few green and blue + items so should have a bit of a headstart on the next one.

No yellow bits yet.

I've started having a look at another cubeworld 'fork' from the code. Some clever peeps are trying to make the game as it should have been. They're coding it in Rust, which I've never heard of, but I'm interested to have a look to see what they're doing.
Desparately trying to remember the name of it...

Veloren.net

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:07 am

When you accidentally stumble into a new region:

:lol:

[taken from Reddit]