Half-Life: Alyx [VR] - 23rd of March

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Half-Life: Alyx [VR] - March 2020

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:54 am

Snowy wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:24 am
If it has a lot of movement in it (which wasn't really shown) it will be a vom-fest for many, myself included. I have Skyrim VR and can't play it for feeling motion-sick.
Yep, that's my concern. I had to get a refund for Skyrim VR because I found it unplayable with both movement options. If Alyx is similar then I'm out. If it has transitional shooting gallery style movement then it could work, but I imagine that's going to get tiresome over a 10-20 hour game. I get headaches after more than an hour using VR anyway, so a long-format VR game is a hard sell to me under any circumstances.

I know Valve want to push the boundaries of the technology, and I've no doubt they will, but I don't think it's going to be as successful as they presumably imagine due to the inherent issues many suffer from with VR.

Anyone else feel like this will be the make-or-break game for the viability of VR as a mainstream gaming platform?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:18 am

I think now nothing will boost VR into the mainstream and this could definitely be the last hurrah. I see some people buying sets to play this game, but not a lot.

Valve just do not want to make a HL3 game and I am so past caring now.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:18 pm

Anyone else feel like this will be the make-or-break game for the viability of VR as a mainstream gaming platform?
Nah I don't think it is make or break but if it is good it could see a lot more people try and make games in VR.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Mogster

Post by Mogster » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:43 am

That video makes me feel sick just watching it on the tablet... :lol:

I have a DK2, I used it quite a bit at first but then I’ve gradually given it up. It’s very immersive for sim racing but I found it hard to accept the loss of gfx detail and had fatigue, nausea and comfort issues so eventually returned to my monitor. I’ve never gone back. Massive ultra widescreen PC monitors are becoming commonplace, VR makes too many people nauseous, consumer VR is dead (it was never alive) imo. It’s interesting when you see pro level simulators for aviation or motorsports they almost never use VR.

BoggyB

Post by BoggyB » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Things have moved on a fair bit since the DK2, man.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:54 pm

...yeah. Even if you accept that recent VR headsets just can't replicate the resolution of a good monitor (although they're significantly better than the DK2), the tracking, framerate smoothing and hand controllers are still transformative enough to make modern headsets a quantum leap over the DK2. With my limited experience (basically anecdotal evidence from Reddit), motion sickness isn't nearly as commonplace as it was with the dev kits. I've personally never had anything more than a flutter while pulling an extreme inverted maneuver and looking up towards the ground in DCS in my CV1. I've not had a single moment of motion sickness in the Rift S.

The reason pro-level simulators don't use VR is because the owners have much more money. Yes, they're probably better than a VR setup, but they cost thousands to put together, while I can have a virtual cockpit for a fraction of the price. Combined with some quality peripherals and I get 90% of the experience for maybe 20% of the cost.

Consumer VR isn't dead, it's just niche. The PC headsets aren't making a massive splash, but the standalone Oculus Quest is proving to be fairly popular, with 400,000 units sold between May and September (the most recent sales figures I could find). It featured in every tech-lovers Christmas buyers' guide I saw over the last couple of months, and I expect those figures will have grown substantially. VR is one of those technologies that was never going to be an instant blockbuster, because it's impossible really to demonstrate it without putting on a headset yourself. PSVR has sold more than 4 million units, and that's according to sales figures from March. Sony are suggesting there'll be a second generation headset for the PS5.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm

Rossell

Re: Half-Life: Alyx [VR] - 23rd of March

Post by Rossell » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:16 pm

A Half Life game. Releasing on its first revealed release date? With no delays?

Holy mother of God. Also new gameplay videos:

This ign video shows the continuous movement system halfway through have a look.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:17 pm

I suppose it's worth pointing out for those not used to it that VR games demonstrated with a flat video really don't do the experience justice. I'd say it's going to be really atmospheric when you don the headset.

Still, it's a shame that they've replaced Alyx's voice actor. I suppose it's twelve years since the last HL2 release so it's perhaps not surprising.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:13 pm

Yeah, even though the original actor is still doing voices it's few and far between (Merle Dandridge I think her name was, voiced a character in Last of Us).

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:44 am

First review is in by Edge, 9/10

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:02 pm

So since I know I don't have the capacity to run this game yet I decided to go see what happened at the end.

Holy shit, I'm still processing it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:32 am

When you start you're on a ledge over looking city 17. I just stood there watching the city do stuff for ages ignoring the prompts to say 'use this button to move'.

Love it so far, bit scary in some places but only got an hour in or so.
-- To be completed at some point --