Half-Life: Alyx [VR] - 23rd of March

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Snowy
Local

Re: Half-Life: Alyx (Had to be VR)

Post by Snowy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:28 am

You have a better memory than me :)

What I remember most about HL2 was the use of physics. Something we completely take for granted now but iirc HL2 introduced it and showcased it with the puzzles, gravity gun etc. I enjoyed HL2, and have replayed it once or twice, but it was a long time ago and I am not sure I am interested any more.

Thinking on it I suppose I am open-minded about a Valve VR game, they used to be a company that took real creative steps and if they can recapture that, they could maybe create that killer title that brings VR into the mainstream of gaming.

I wait to be convinced though. It has felt a long time since Valve were that company.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:19 am

Lee wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:57 pm
Just finish HL2 Episode 3 and end the saga. Don't need spin offs in the universe anymore.
This, although I can't get preachy about Episode 3 because I never bothered finishing Episode 2. ¬_¬

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:55 am

Maturin wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 pm
I think a fair bit of revisionist history goes on with Half-Life 2 where people forget about the things it bought to the genre/games as they are so ubiquitous now. I see people also denigrate the physics stuff a fair bit.
Likewise, I think some people forget how much criticism HL2 got on gaming forums back in 2004 when it was released. I still remember that thread on PCGF quite clearly; a lot of us were basically saying the gunplay was a letdown and the enemy AI was a major step backwards from the marines you faced in HL1, etc.

I clearly recall it getting a mixed response (from gamers) back then, so I wouldn't personally say there's any revisionism going on.
Was the same on the old Prey's world site. And I am still thinking Farcry blew away HL2 in all but the gravity gun and some physic puzzles.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am

I wont argue about the gunplay, most of the guns lacked omph, but at the time the game received almost universal praise. Also FarCry was half a game at best, once the Trigens turned up it was a mess.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 am

I liked HL2 a lot, and agree with Dj about Far Cry. It's a game of two halves for me, Brian.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:19 am

I've been pretty consistent with my criticism of HL2 over the years; it just wasn't as good as its predecessor, even if the tech at the time (physics of course, but also the facial animation which was outstanding in 2004) was impressive. The game was an experience, it wasn't an especially fun shooter.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:23 am

My main problem was the pacing. Every good idea was run into the ground in repetition. If it were half the length it would have been twice the game. I remember the episodes being worse in that regard.

Doom 3 was better ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:23 am
My main problem was the pacing. Every good idea was run into the ground in repetition. If it were half the length it would have been twice the game. I remember the episodes being worse in that regard.

Doom 3 was better ;)
Doom 3 was turgid bollocks with contrived gameplay elements that made no sense. I'm not honestly sure that FPS have really moved on much since HL2. I guess the direct descendants might be the New Wolfenstiens? (SP)

HL2 for me was about the story, the characters and the world. It was perhaps and little too long and a little too linear but the style and architecture of the world was fantastic. I don't think it was a quantum leap like HL1 mind.
Last edited by arqueturus on Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Gimme.

Guess whose back, back again, GMans back, watch the end.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:15 pm

It looks... fine, I guess. I find it very difficult to get excited about VR games from trailers, because so much of the experience can't be conveyed through flat images. It *could* be great, the worldbuilding from HL2 was pretty good, so as long as they get the atmosphere right it'll probably work.

BoggyB

Post by BoggyB » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Ha, somehow I knew what the tone of this thread would be. ;)

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:16 pm

I can tell already they want to plan the story into the end of Episode 2, introduce a macguffin that somehow saves the day after the cliffhanger maybe. I have a feeling we're getting an insight into the Eli/GMan/Alyx situation too.

I wish there was a non VR mode for this, I really do.

New voice actor for Eli, understandable, but a new voice actor for Alyx :o

Edit: oh yeah the Y in Alyx stays on screen slightly longer at the end of the trailer. It's an upside down lambda symbol.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Pricey. All I suppose its fairly standard these days.

I don't have any kind of VR but it does look pretty interesting to me. I'll never play it though unless like Rossell says there's a non-VR version. I'm curious if it flows like a so called normal game or if it's just a series of arenas chained together ala Time Crisis/Virtua Cop as the trailer seems to imply.

Lee

Re: Half-Life: Alyx [VR] - March 2020

Post by Lee » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Raid wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:15 pm
It looks... fine, I guess. I find it very difficult to get excited about VR games from trailers, because so much of the experience can't be conveyed through flat images. It *could* be great, the worldbuilding from HL2 was pretty good, so as long as they get the atmosphere right it'll probably work.
True about the experience from trailers. It be neat for a demo to try out as that would surely help initial sales and not just mostly rely on nostalgia for the most part.

It's a bit pricey so will wait on sale for it. I don't tend to return to many VR titles barring Elite so far.

If you bought the new Index kit you get it for free or well if you buy it now or just the headset/controllers you get it tossed into the price for free. Have to say wouldn't mind having a discount for owning the VIVE from a loyalty scheme standpoint.

But will see how it fares when the playthroughs begin on Youtube.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Snowy
Local

Re: Half-Life: Alyx [VR] - March 2020

Post by Snowy » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:24 am

If it has a lot of movement in it (which wasn't really shown) it will be a vom-fest for many, myself included. I have Skyrim VR and can't play it for feeling motion-sick.

It also looks quite jump-scary which also puts me off, I hate games that make me jump and have avoided them completely in VR (Arizona Sunshine etc).
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=