GTA VI

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Wrathbone
Local

Re: GTA VI

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:10 am

I enjoy GTA and will doubtless buy GTA VI on day one. That being said, I don't love its air of adolescence or its mostly hateful characters. I feel like the story side of it would work better if they took a lesson from RDR2 and let you play someone who is clearly a scumbag, but not a complete monster. As Arthur you do many terrible things obviously, and yet you root for him because he has moments of humanity and remorse and basic decency. In GTA V you play as three irredeemable, unrepentant, unlikeable shits, and that's the problem.

GTA VI will have an incredible world to explore, I'm sure. I just hope the content within that world has progressed somewhat.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 am

I don't think Franklin is irredeemable or unlikeable, he's a bit bland if anything, almost a total blank slate.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:15 am

Yeah, that's fair - he's easily the best of the three. Michael is little more than a tiresome prick and the less said about Trevor, the better.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 am

Oddly, I quite like the three protagonist system, and also the fact they're quite different, as it's almost role-play-lite (for me anyway). I tend to find that if I'm mooching about, racing, doing comparatively wholesome open-world stuff I tend to do it as Franklin, if I'm in the mood to go to the cinemas or while away a day on the golf course or tennis courts while (often unintentionally) acting like a bit of a dick, generally I'm doing it as Michael.

Then there are the days when I feel like just saying to hell with it all and going on a sociopathic rampage, and it's nice to have the option to do it as Trevor rather than have it being out of character for the person I'm playing as.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:44 am

The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:24 am
Snowy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:23 pm
I absolutely love the GTA series, have played through GTAV about four times, and did likewise with 4.

Rockstar make the best open worlds for just having fun in, as my loss of my life to RDR2 Online testifies...
Nothing to add to your post. I just worry that no one else will agree with you. Has the Jack Thompson Re-enactment Group rolled into this thread? Jesus.
Not really sure what you are getting worked up about? Nobody is offended by the humour/writing they just think it is very tired and doesn't work anymore.

Rockstar have had an issue since probably Vice City that they seem to work in isolation and don't pay attention to what is going on in the industry so their games don't progress as much mechanically as they should. When this series started it was revolutionary but since then they haven't really added anything to the formula and for me it's grown stale. I don't want a world where the majority of the fun just comes from messing around, I can get that in so many other places now.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:35 am
Oddly, I quite like the three protagonist system, and also the fact they're quite different, as it's almost role-play-lite (for me anyway). I tend to find that if I'm mooching about, racing, doing comparatively wholesome open-world stuff I tend to do it as Franklin, if I'm in the mood to go to the cinemas or while away a day on the golf course or tennis courts while (often unintentionally) acting like a bit of a dick, generally I'm doing it as Michael.

Then there are the days when I feel like just saying to hell with it all and going on a sociopathic rampage, and it's nice to have the option to do it as Trevor rather than have it being out of character for the person I'm playing as.
Actually while I found it made the story a little disjointed, I agree with the above, it is how I tended to play as well :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm pretty sure Facebook was considered a problem as early as 2013, but I suppose those gags could have been written years earlier. My point stands though, I just find a lot of the humour too plain. It doesn't really spoil my enjoyment of the game much, it's definitely one of the more better open world games (there's just something very enjoyable about the driving physics in GTAV).

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:51 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:21 pm
I'm pretty sure Facebook was considered a problem as early as 2013, but I suppose those gags could have been written years earlier. My point stands though, I just find a lot of the humour too plain. It doesn't really spoil my enjoyment of the game much, it's definitely one of the more better open world games (there's just something very enjoyable about the driving physics in GTAV).
Don't get me wrong, it does tend to have the subtlety of a punch to the fruits, was just an observation :)

The driving physics were awesome in 4 and even better in 5, plus the mechanism to escape a wanted rating from 4 onwards was a huge improvement. Half my enjoyment still comes from hooning about, especially as Franklin when you unlock the car-modder up near Trevor's house that lets you mod cars for free. "Ooh that looks fun", *steals*, off to the modder, pimp the arse out of it and then go on a massive joyride... \:D/
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:44 am

I overreacted, I'll admit. I was however shocked at how many people have turned on Rockstar's humour, seemingly all of a sudden. Or maybe I haven't been paying attention until now ¬_¬
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:05 am

The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:44 am
I overreacted, I'll admit. I was however shocked at how many people have turned on Rockstar's humour, seemingly all of a sudden. Or maybe I haven't been paying attention until now ¬_¬
I've disliked it since GTA IV.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Subtle it ain't, but I have no problem with it. Then again, I think that Bottom is the height of comedy genius ;)
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

eny

Post by eny » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:11 pm

I'm on the love it side, I have to admit. GTA is GTA...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:12 pm
Subtle it ain't, but I have no problem with it. Then again, I think that Bottom is the height of comedy genius ;)
The Housers wish they could write comedy as good as Bottom.