Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:07 am

TBF I remember basically nothing about it :lol:

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:03 am

The Tourist - BBC

Its basically the Australian Fargo, its a good show but let down in last episode which got a bit messy. The climax was let down and it had one twist too many when it wrapped up.

7/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:45 pm

Wasn't The Expanse on Netflix for an extremely brief period a few years ago? I remember enjoying it but don't think I ever got beyond season 2
Spoiler
Ramming the Mormon ship into the infected meteor is the last thing I remember
Book of Boba Fett episode 4. More episodes like this and the show actually has a chance of being interesting. Was good.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:54 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:45 pm
Wasn't The Expanse on Netflix for an extremely brief period a few years ago? I remember enjoying it but don't think I ever got beyond season 2
Possibly. The show was cancelled by SyFy at the end of season 3, at which point it was picked up by Amazon and presumably the earlier stuff moved to Prime.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:31 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 pm
The Expanse

This is, I'm pretty confident in saying, my favourite TV series of all time.
Well I figured it would be churlish to let such a recommendation pass so decided to give it a try. I can say categorically that I am not a sci-fi fan by any means with many of the shows enthused by on here leaving me bored to tears (I let those discussions sail past while I stand to one side :-" ).

Really enjoying it. Alan's warning made me make sure I started on the right season and 1 day later am on about episode 6. I like that it feels genuine and am thoroughly enjoying learning what is going on, although I do struggle to understand all the dialogue. Very good so far though, I can see myself sticking with it if they keep this level of quality.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:28 pm

Oh it only gets better; season one is the lowest rated of the series.

I had trouble with some of the Belter dialogue, but I absolutely love that they're given their own creole. It really makes them feel like a separate people, which is a key part of the story, and it's just another brilliant bit of world-building. I never felt like I was missing anything by not being able to translate, there's enough context in the tone of voice that you really don't need anything else (and bravo to both the actors and directors for that).

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:50 pm

Yeah it is very impressive, most of all I think for the fact that it all feels believeable.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:40 pm

Somebody watch Peacemaker for fucks sake!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:53 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:28 pm
Oh it only gets better; season one is the lowest rated of the series.

I had trouble with some of the Belter dialogue, but I absolutely love that they're given their own creole. It really makes them feel like a separate people, which is a key part of the story, and it's just another brilliant bit of world-building. I never felt like I was missing anything by not being able to translate, there's enough context in the tone of voice that you really don't need anything else (and bravo to both the actors and directors for that).
I squeed a bit when Jared Harris entered the show, one of my favourite actors and he steals every scene he's in. Love the back and forth with Tom Jane.

eny

Post by eny » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:39 pm

After Life s.3

Whatever you think of Gervais, his subtlety and the character ensemble, along with the story, are a masterpiece. I have never cried more with a show, so many correlations in my own life but different circumstances. Outstanding.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:50 pm

A couple of episodes into The Expanse now, and all I want to do is inject more of it into my eyeballs asap. In fact Ep2 was the best yet, great TV.

I'm actually thinking about buying the novels and reading them as I watch the show (show first)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:17 pm

I'm almost certainly going to pick the novels up at some point. As good as the final season was, I have a suspicion that there's been a fair bit cut out (the last season was only 6 episodes long, while all of the others have 10 or 13 episodes) as there are plot threads that don't feel resolved. I do vaguely remember discussion as to whether the show would be based on the entire novel series or whether there're some untouched books remaining.

I'm glad people are enjoying it. I do have a habit of hyperbolising when talking about my favourite media, but this is the one of the few shows where I think it's entirely justified.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:34 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:17 pm
I'm almost certainly going to pick the novels up at some point. As good as the final season was, I have a suspicion that there's been a fair bit cut out (the last season was only 6 episodes long, while all of the others have 10 or 13 episodes) as there are plot threads that don't feel resolved. I do vaguely remember discussion as to whether the show would be based on the entire novel series or whether there're some untouched books remaining.

I'm glad people are enjoying it. I do have a habit of hyperbolising when talking about my favourite media, but this is the one of the few shows where I think it's entirely justified.
There's 9 books (the latest one came out in 2021, so not sure if there'll be further ones also), so not beyond the realms of possibility there's more resolution to be found there.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:01 am

Onto season 2 of The Expanse. Thoroughly enjoyed S1 but I have realised something - while I know the characters, I have no idea what any of their names are as they don't seem to use them with the exception of Amos :lol:
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:24 am

Snowy wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:01 am
Onto season 2 of The Expanse. Thoroughly enjoyed S1 but I have realised something - while I know the characters, I have no idea what any of their names are as they don't seem to use them with the exception of Amos :lol:
Maybe it's because I watch with subtitles (it helps with the creole bits I find), but thought the names were pretty frequent. The rest of Amos' crew is Holden, Naomi and Alex the pilot, then there's Thomas Jane's detective character Miller.

I particularly like the way everyone uses Fred Johnson's full name every time it's used, as far as I can tell he's the only person that's done with. Unless I've got it wrong and his full name is actually something like Ted Fredjohnson :lol: