General Film News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Hatredsheart

Re: General Film News

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:12 pm

Sly Boots wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:56 pm
Not watched the trailer, but that is a film that had zero need for a sequel...
Indeed.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:18 am

Raid wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:12 pm
Christ, and I was thinking the poster I saw for Twister 2 (Twisters) was bad. Nobody wants this except marketing executives.
Bizarrely, it’s something Ridley Scott has been trying to get going since the original. In the early 2000s he had an outline for a sequel where Russell Crowe would come back like Jesus for convoluted reasons, so not only is it a terrible idea, it’s a terrible idea that originated from the director rather than execs.

The trailer looks dire. Can’t wait for Ridley Scott to blame the public for its limited success.

EDIT - Correction: In the original concept, Maximus did not come back like Jesus. He was resurrected by the Roman gods to fight Jesus, to put and end to Christianity. :lol: Is it wrong that I wish they’d gone down that route?

EDIT 2 - The script is available! https://www.scribd.com/doc/39980725/Gla ... -Nick-Cave

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:12 am

Wrathbone wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:18 am
Raid wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:12 pm
Christ, and I was thinking the poster I saw for Twister 2 (Twisters) was bad. Nobody wants this except marketing executives.
Bizarrely, it’s something Ridley Scott has been trying to get going since the original. In the early 2000s he had an outline for a sequel where Russell Crowe would come back like Jesus for convoluted reasons, so not only is it a terrible idea, it’s a terrible idea that originated from the director rather than execs.
Well, consider me corrected. :lol:

I did a bit of googling and read a synopsis for the version penned by Nick Cave, which was apparently requested by Crowe, and it's wild. Cave apparently wrote it with the mindset that it was never going to be produced, and has the emperor exclaim β€œMy giraffe was struck by lightning!” at one point. The ending has Maximus travelling through time fighting in other major conflicts.

I can't pretend I don't want to see that version, but it would have been a stain on the original. Let's be honest, *any* version, including the one being made, is going to be a stain on the original - there wasn't a single plot thread left after the original, and it's damned near perfect as a standalone action film.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:19 pm

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Can't think of one

Post by Can't think of one » Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:33 pm

Lenny Solidus wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:19 pm

Jesus! Why don't they just show ALL the death scenes :?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:48 pm

I felt like I'd seen too much after just the first trailer, I haven't watched any of the subsequent ones.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:22 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:48 am

I'm still not sure what to make of that. It looks like it might be great but the "musical" element is a bit off putting for me at the same time. Loved the first film but never re-watched it after seeing it in the cinema for some reason.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:11 am

That trailer convinced me more than the first did, though it's possibly more to do with knowing more about the plot than we did before. Phoenix was incredible in the first, and from the little glimpses we get of his actual acting in this (which looks to be equally good), I reckon he's going to sell the concept. It's not often I feel genuinely excited to watch a sequel that wasn't really needed.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:17 am

Animalmother wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:48 am
I'm still not sure what to make of that. It looks like it might be great but the "musical" element is a bit off putting for me at the same time. Loved the first film but never re-watched it after seeing it in the cinema for some reason.
I know what you mean. I'm sure it'll be good, I've just zero appetite to go see it for some reason, possibly because with Joker it feels like the film said everything it wanted to. It doesn't need a sequel. I'd be more interested in other characters being given similar treatment, with an adult tone and nuance.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:20 am

Not enough musical! I demand more musical!!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:20 am

Uffff... Fucking awful looking.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:13 am

I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt, it could still be a fun action flick, and some of the casting choices are pretty good (though I think Jack Black as Claptrap may actually be more annoying than the original voice actor, and despite that being the whole point of the character, that's not a good thing). I just hope the pee joke isn't indicative of the comedy as a whole (though Borderlands hasn't ever shied away from gross-out stuff), and that they haven't decided to make Tiny Tina a chosen-one as the trailer implies for some reason.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:39 pm

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:43 am

Animalmother wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:20 am

Uffff... Fucking awful looking.
Others seem to agree with you mate

https://www.scifinow.co.uk/cinema/borde ... save-this/