I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:34 am

Heathers (1988). Strong beginning that lost focus around the mid point. Slightly overrated but I can see how it influenced so many films that followed. 7/10

The Wages of Fear (1953). Absolutely brilliant. This film has been adapted 4 times now and I think this is just as good than the William Friedkin adaptation Sourcerer from 1977. The 4K looked amazing. 8/10 It was a long film. I might see this again in the future.

Giants and Toys (1956). A Japanese film about markerting toffee back in the 1950s. I really liked the colour palette and the style of 1950s Japan. 7/10

The Goose Steps Out (1942). A British propaganda comedy that has some very good comedy, especially the play on words. Obviously very dated. 5/10

Fun with Dick and Jane (1977). A comedy caper with Jane Fonda. It was amusing and a bit silly. A fun film to watch to pick you up. 7/10

Easy Riders (1969). This is my second viewing. I came away more impressed with the repeated viewing as I understood what it was trying to say. It still has one of the most devastating endings for a film. 7/10

12 Angry Men (1957). Again my second viewing, this time on 4K. Jesus, this film is a masterpiece. The very simple concept of a man trying to change a Jury's mind and to question the court case. A masterclass in acting, direction and camera angels. I want to get this on 4K but need to import it from the US at £30. I am hoping for a UK 4K release, if not I will have to bite the bullet and buy it. 9/10

OK - that will do for now, will write on some more tomorrow. As I said, I have watched a lot of movies of late!
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:55 pm

Love it. I wish there was more time in the day to watch several films and still get things done :)
-- To be completed at some point --

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:58 pm

Fight Club
I was listening to a podcast about films that bombed at the box office and never knew this was a commercial flop. First saw this in the cinema 25(!) years ago and was blown away, had never seen anything like it. Was probably in my top 10 for many years. Rewatched it yesterday for the first time in a very long time and it hasn't aged well unfortunately. Still looks great and is stylish as hell it's just the characters now come across as whiny, toxic edge lords. Saying that it's still a great film.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:12 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:58 pm
Fight Club
I was listening to a podcast about films that bombed at the box office and never knew this was a commercial flop. First saw this in the cinema 25(!) years ago and was blown away, had never seen anything like it. Was probably in my top 10 for many years. Rewatched it yesterday for the first time in a very long time and it hasn't aged well unfortunately. Still looks great and is stylish as hell it's just the characters now come across as whiny, toxic edge lords. Saying that it's still a great film.
It's a great film, have always really liked it. Re its commercial performance, iirc it was just marketed really, really poorly - trailers made it look like some meathead fight movie, which turned off a bunch of people... and the sort of people that would enjoy a film like that were turned off by what it actually is :lol:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:32 pm

Deadpool & Wolverine
Saw this the other day and it's very, very funny from start to finish. Of the 3 films it is the weakest but that's not a put down by any means. My one criticism is that there are too many references and in jokes, the film probably won't age well because of it. Apart from that prepare for a non-stop barrage of jokes, swearing and mindless violence (hilarious mindless violence. .). Hugh Jackman is great and I genuinely think he was enjoying himself. The usual side characters barely get a look in this time and it focuses almost entirely on the main protagonists. A fuck ton of cameos that I won't ruin. If possible go see it without looking at trailers or reviews that are bound to spoil it.

Not a spoiler but there's a nice little montage of behind the scenes clips from all the Fox films during the end credits. Great stuff.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:35 am

https://www.pcgamer.com/movies-tv/the-f ... ud-expect/

Anyone going to watch it just out of morbid curiosity?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:41 am

I've no interest in Borderlands, but I do love a truly bad film that was made with legitimate intent for it to be good (i.e. not the likes of Sharknado). I might give it a glance if it goes on streaming.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:55 am

I think counter-intuitively I actually have more interest in watching it now than if people came out saying it was good :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:24 pm

I said in the film news thread I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, and I think that still stands. "Visually repulsive" could equally be used to describe the games if we're being honest, the art style was never supposed to be especially appealing - just as a reminder, the second game made use of the phrase "wall sphincters" for example. The comments about the cast having no chemistry and phoning it in do put me off though.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:44 pm

It's actually amusing how vitriolic the hate for the Borderlands film is, it actually feels like something of an achievement to have produced some that is apparently utterly unappealing to not only its target demographics but basically everyone on the planet, and without even a shred of merit or saving grace.

I'll definitely be watching it as soon as it hits streaming :lol:

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:59 pm

Here's another less than satisfied customer

https://www.scifinow.co.uk/cinema/borde ... save-this/
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:15 pm

Hatredsheart wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:59 pm
Here's another less than satisfied customer

https://www.scifinow.co.uk/cinema/borde ... save-this/
Well that makes it sound like a steaming pile of shite. Terrible casting choices as well and it sounds like no one involved played the games. I'm shocked!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:45 pm

Found this rather sarcastic review on IMDB...

10/10
BEST F$<×*]?% MOVIE EVER
**Review of the New Borderlands Movie**

The new Borderlands movie is, without a doubt, the best film I have ever seen! It perfectly captures the wild and vibrant energy of the video game series, delivering a non-stop thrill ride from beginning to end. The action is intense, the humor is spot-on, and the characters are brought to life with fantastic performances.

As someone with severe brain damage and a small mental capacity, I found the movie to be incredibly engaging and easy to follow. Its clear, exciting visuals and straightforward storyline made it a memorable experience. This film stands out for its ability to entertain and connect with viewers across various perspectives. If you're looking for an unforgettable cinematic adventure, this movie is a must-see!

:lol:

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:58 pm

:lol:
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:21 am

Andy Farrant really doesn't like it. :lol: