General TV News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

General TV News

Post by Raid » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:22 pm

I figured we probably need a TV news thread, given the Good TV thread seems to be better suited to discussing airing shows, and we have something similar for films.

Anyway, I'll kick off with Netflix's adaptation of Cowboy Bebop, which has finished filming. I'll admit I'd forgotten about this adaptation, it was put on hold back in 2019 after star John Cho (playing Spike) suffered a knee injury while filming, and then Covid happened.

Suffice to say there's a lot riding on this for me. Cowboy Bebop was the best anime I ever watched, it's almost certainly in my top 5 TV shows in general. It has my absolute favourite soundtrack from any form of visual media, which I still listen to reasonably often twenty years later (and I *really* overplayed it when I was a student, to the point where I convinced a friend doing a music degree to play a few tracks on his student radio programme). Remaking it is like remaking Star Wars or The Next Generation. I don't think there's a hope in hell of it living up to that; I don't think there's ever been a live-action anime adaptation that wasn't a let-down.

But I still can't help but be excited; I think John Cho's a good pick for the lead, the almost impossibly lithe Spike Spiegel, and the adaptation is going to have hour-long episodes which suggests to me it'll have some budget behind it.

It's supposedly coming in 2021, though there's no more specific date than that.

Animalmother
Local

Re: General TV News

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:31 am

Good idea sir

Season 5 of Rick & Morty out soon. I think the last season had some of my favourite episodes yet so that's a good sign.

Season 2 of The Witcher is finished filming and is due sometime later this year maybe. Same with Black Summer, the slightly trash but still enjoyable zombie apocalypse show.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 pm

I am going to start on R&M once I finish season 12 of Family Guy
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:14 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 pm
Damn, that's like saying I'm going to eat this delicious chocolate cake after I've finished this shit sandwich.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:22 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:14 pm
Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 pm
Damn, that's like saying I'm going to eat this delicious chocolate cake after I've finished this shit sandwich.
Chocolate wouldn't be my first choice after a shit sandwich but to each their own. Are you watching R&M from the start without ever seeing it? You lucky bastard!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:26 pm

Even in its prime I would say that Family Guy is leagues behind Rick & Morty.

R&M and South Park are the absolute kings of cartoon comedy.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:40 pm

It did take me two attempts to get into Rick and Morty but I have to agree these days that it's up there with South Park. Rick as a character is really abrasive, and it leans hard into the awful drunken belching early on (which I detested on the first watch of the pilot), but make it past that to the point where he's a little more likeable and it's an absolute riot.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:33 am

Rick and Morty is some of the cleverest writing I've ever watched, genuinely. It smashes so many Sci-fi tropes but plays with them first, usually subverting them. It absolutely transcends the fact it's a cartoon. Really really clever stuff.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:15 pm

Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 am

New season of Castlevania starts next month on Netflix. If you haven't watched this I'd highly recommend it, very funny and very gory. Seasons are very short and you can blitz through them in a few hours.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:39 am

Yeah, agreed. I know nothing about the games and have never played any of them, but I enjoyed the animated series a lot. Glad it's coming back.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed May 05, 2021 11:06 am

Can't really find much about it but they've apparently started filming Masters of the Air, new Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg produced show about bomber pilots during WW2. Same people behind Band of Brothers and The Pacific so top notch stuff hopefully. Director of True Detective doing the first few episodes so that's a plus.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/band- ... 0-6490647/

20 years since Band of Brothers was first on and it hasn't been bettered yet by something similar.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed May 05, 2021 6:07 pm

let me guess, the Americans win
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed May 05, 2021 6:37 pm

Spoilers man!! :x

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed May 12, 2021 3:39 pm

New season of Love, Death & Robots out on Friday. Yusss!