General TV News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: General TV News

Post by Raid » Tue May 24, 2022 6:10 pm

I doubt I'll dive straight into it either. Besides the lack of enthusiasm, I've got Strange New Worlds and Better Call Saul, then the Obi Wan series that starts on Friday to be watching. I also started on Love, Death and Robots this evening.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri May 27, 2022 7:00 am

The trailer for the Star Wars: Andor series is out.

Looks fine I guess, I can't say I'm that interested in Cassian Andor's backstory (sorry Disney, but I grew up with Kyle Katarn via the games, replacing him with a very similar character did rub me up the wrong way slightly), but as Rogue One is one of my favourite Star Wars films I'm happy to see more of the same sort of stuff.

With Star Wars TV shows now I'm always trying to guess which other property they're going to cross over with, because the franchise is a massive cross-marketing exercise these days. I'm guessing this is going to be set a few years prior to Rogue One, so that puts it in the same time period as Rebels and Jedi: Fallen Order. We've already seen a BD droid from Fallen Order appear in Book of Boba Fett, and Cameron Monoghan is the right age to be playing Cal Kestis in live-action, so it'd be nice to see more videogame crossovers.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri May 27, 2022 7:13 am

Raid wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:00 am
(sorry Disney, but I grew up with Kyle Katarn via the games, replacing him with a very similar character did rub me up the wrong way slightly)
Same here. As much as I like Rogue One, I wish Disney had at least publicly acknowledged how much of it came from Dark Forces (I mean, Jan Ors to Jyn Erso is comically lazy if they were trying to pretend the project was entirely original).

If game crossovers are becoming a thing for Star Wars, though, I want to see a TIE Fighter TV series. That could work so well, showing a more human side of individual Imperial troops trying to justify what they're doing. Or maybe it could play it as satire in the style of Starship Troopers, showing Imperial pomp and arrogance to such a degree that it becomes farcical. I reckon there's potential there.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri May 27, 2022 10:41 am

I like that premise, see it from the other sides perspective. But it's Disney so that's not very likely unfortunately. They'd have to have a change of heart and join the rebels midway through.

The main problem with Obi Wan and Andor is we know the characters appear in later films so there's no real threat to their lives. But saying that Andor looks pretty good from the trailer.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri May 27, 2022 11:08 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:13 am
Same here. As much as I like Rogue One, I wish Disney had at least publicly acknowledged how much of it came from Dark Forces (I mean, Jan Ors to Jyn Erso is comically lazy if they were trying to pretend the project was entirely original).
The irritating thing is that they haven't just entirely done away with Kyle and Jan. They're both pilots for the HWK-290 in the X-Wing Miniatures game that I play, and there's an upgrade card that turns the HWK into the Moldy Crow. That's all been released since Disney owned the property, and not just the once; when they upgraded the game into the second edition version a couple of years after Rogue One came out, Kyle and Jan were still present. Disney tend to be incredibly controlling when it comes to merchandise, so I'm certain they signed off on the inclusion. There's actually a ton of fan-servicey stuff in XW:TMG from what is now considered Legends Canon; Marek Steele (the player character from TIE Fighter) is a pilot for the TIE Advanced x1, Darth Vader can pilot the TIE Defender, and the game includes the Alpha-Class Star Wing (the Assault Gunboat, although it includes the SLAM action that should have been reserved for the Missile Boat, which doesn't feature).

With Grand Admiral Thrawn and the TIE Defender featuring heavily in Rebels, Disney it seems are quite content to pick and choose the popular stuff from the pre-Disney days, despite them having previously declared it all non-canon. And they'll change elements to make them fit in with the new setting; the TIE Defender was introduced for Rebels far earlier than it should have been. It's pretty galling, frankly.

But yeah, as much as I think a TIE Fighter series would be a good idea, it doesn't seem plausible when any characters that start on the bad side end up on the good by the end of the story. It's really irritating. It feels like there shouldn't be anyone actually working for the Empire, because it's apparently so easy to realise that they're actually not the good guys they claim to be.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:57 am

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... yLep3-0sXY
The network has entered into early development on its first sequel to its blockbuster fantasy drama: A live-action spin-off series centered on the fan-favorite character Jon Snow, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Kit Harington is attached to reprise the role should a series move forward.
Please god don't let it move forward. I can understand the rationale behind House of the Dragon even though I've zero hope for it, but this has no reason to exist.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:04 am

Yup, Jon's story is done, I have no burning desire to know more about his life from this point.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:33 am

I'm not sure who they think wants anything further from that story. Did they just disconnect from the internet after season 6?

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:43 am

Jon, old, grizzled, and fat from goose, recounts his stories to the new Night's Watch. They scoff at his fantastic tales, until…
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:53 am

Lol, if Kit Harrington's still playing him I doubt we're talking about old, fat Jon Snow...

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:49 pm

Has he done anything apart from that shitty Pompeii film since GoT?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:03 pm

He was in the MCU film that was so bad I can't remember the name of it. He played an unremarkable person. Role of a lifetime.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:28 pm

Suited his acting style at least.

I have zero interest in any future Game of Thrones adaptations or spin offs. They've thoroughly killed my interest in that series.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:33 pm

He voiced Sir Gadabout in the kids' film Zog, he's a very busy man!
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:44 pm

Apparently he's worth about $14 million and he has a nice missus, he's doing ok for himself.