General TV News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Re: General TV News

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:03 am

There are fans of Discovery or are they just trek fans with Stockholm syndrome?
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:15 am

Indeed. There's no way I'm paying for another subscription just for Picard and Discovery. If the next season of Lower Decks is on there I'll be disappointed though. Maybe if you can subscribe for a single month, I'll sign up and binge watch it all once a year.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:42 am

Discovery and Picard have done nothing to convince me to sign up to yet another streaming service. I wasn't overly enamoured with the few episodes of Lower Decks I saw, either.

I didn't bother watching Discovery S3. S2 had a few reasonable moments but so, so many bad moments, and the ending was an unmitigated disaster. And Picard, fun as it was at times, was a total mess.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:19 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:42 am
Discovery and Picard have done nothing to convince me to sign up to yet another streaming service. I wasn't overly enamoured with the few episodes of Lower Decks I saw, either.

I didn't bother watching Discovery S3. S2 had a few reasonable moments but so, so many bad moments, and the ending was an unmitigated disaster. And Picard, fun as it was at times, was a total mess.
This is where I am, with the difference that I bailed on Discovery S2 an episode in.

Much as I love the Original series and TNG, I won't be signing up to another service.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:51 am

Discovery S3 had brief, fleeting moments where it actually felt a bit like a Star Trek show (and I don't remember those happening in the previous seasons), but it was all brought down again by a god awful fetishization of The Federation as a concept (the way the characters talk about it, it's as if it's a religion, and a cultish one at that), and once again the season-spanning mystery had an ill thought-out cause that they gave no scientific basis for. It's just horribly written for the most part.

Picard's only decent moments were the nostalgia of seeing some of the command crew of the Enterprise D together again. The story wasn't total crap (even if the premise shat all over one of TNG's best episodes), but it had this air of a fantasy show about it, not science fiction, not helped by the fact that it had a long-haired, naive, Romulan pretty-boy who fights with a sword in it.

And yet despite all my criticism, there's just something annoying about the fact that I won't be able to watch it. It'll be the first Star Trek that I haven't been able to watch on a service I have access to. I think Alan's stockholm syndrome reference is worryingly accurate in my case.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:01 am

For those who can stomach 3 min of adverts, Blade Runner Black Lotus is available to see on More4 (its the only place you can catch it).
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:33 pm

In the UK, there's apparently a free streaming service called Pluto TV it'll be available on. Presumably until Paramount+ launches.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:59 pm

"We love our fans, which is why we're ignoring everything they've asked for and going with the plan that will make us the most money anyway."

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:10 pm

Watched Episode 1 already, it's nothing special.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:28 am

Oh ffs Netflix.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235060256/

My recommendation has gone from "Watch both the Anime and Netflix series, the original is brilliant and the adaptation isn't as good but still fun" to "Don't bother with the Netflix series, watch the anime." Without a second season, the adaptation does not end in a remotely satisfying way.

I really, really hope there's something behind the scenes to explain this, like the actors or showrunners quitting, because if they've purely gone off the ratings just three weeks after the show debuted then what hope does anything on the platform have?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:46 am

I'm still sore about them cancelling GLOW, which had a decent following and was praised by fans and critics alike. Supposedly it was due to the pandemic, but Netflix have said they've no plans to pick it up again.

I imagine their habit of cancelling things for no clear reason is purely down to numbers rather than any human or creative impetus. If a show doesn't generate enough new subscribers or retentions, it'll get binned regardless of other factors. If that's how it works, it's a false economy because many shows only find their feet and become popular after the first season. If you're going to invest however many millions in creating a first season and it's not a flop, it's probably worth pursuing a second season.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:09 am

Indeed. All of the 90s-era Star Trek shows were poor in their first two seasons, and I get the feeling that they'd never have seen their thirds were they made today. It's short sighted and, in my opinion, damaging to their brand. It just shows that Netflix isn't run by people interested in telling stories, it's run by accountants.

I saw a comment on Reddit that makes sense here; Netflix is only interested in new subscribers, because people are unlikely to cancel their subscription on the cancellation of one or two shows. When I signed up for a new Netflix account upon moving house, it asked which shows I was interested in and then put those items on my To Watch list. What I expect they're actually doing with that information is taking it as the reason you've signed up. If an expensive show isn't generating new subscribers, it's not worth continuing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:11 am

Raid wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:28 am
Oh ffs Netflix.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235060256/

My recommendation has gone from "Watch both the Anime and Netflix series, the original is brilliant and the adaptation isn't as good but still fun" to "Don't bother with the Netflix series, watch the anime." Without a second season, the adaptation does not end in a remotely satisfying way.

I really, really hope there's something behind the scenes to explain this, like the actors or showrunners quitting, because if they've purely gone off the ratings just three weeks after the show debuted then what hope does anything on the platform have?
I have mixed feelings - while I enjoyed the first season and am glad I watched it, if Ed was going to be a major part of S2 then it would have been a shitshow.

And yep, still annoyed about GLOW, and Santa Clarita Diet, and Mindhunter and a bunch of other stuff cancelled in its prime.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:02 pm

It all comes down to bang for their buck. Expensive shows are getting axed because they obviously have a model based on the amount of people watching, or cumulated time watched, fell below a certain parameter. Dont forget Netflix knows EVERYTHING you do on your account. So if you start a show and stop watching after 20 min and never go back - they know.

A Google search shows that $12 billion is spent annually on original content, so their way of thinking is who cares if a show gets axed - two more will follow.

Netflix model is throw absolutely everything at the wall and see what sticks.

The shows are getting axed simply because not enough people are watching. :roll:
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:20 pm

I think my biggest problem with this is the speed at which they've made the decision. Netflix isn't like traditional television, it's not like people tune in because something they want to watch is on right now, and if they don't they'll miss it. Viewers have to discover stuff, they have to be in the right mood for that stuff, and they have to not want to be finishing off their previous stuff first. I know they have untold numbers of analytics, but making this decision just three weeks after they first published the show feels like a ridiculous kneejerk reaction to someone without access to said analytics.