Re: General TV News

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed May 04, 2022 11:13 pm

Space Force axed
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu May 05, 2022 4:41 am

I'm not surprised. It wasn't dreadful, but it felt like a punchline to a joke someone had made three years earlier.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun May 08, 2022 12:12 pm

I stopped watching after Capaldi but if anyone's interested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61371123
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun May 08, 2022 5:20 pm

Hatredsheart wrote: ↑
Sun May 08, 2022 12:12 pm
I stopped watching after Capaldi but if anyone's interested
only if the plots and scripts get better, until then - nope
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun May 08, 2022 5:31 pm

Well they're giving the show back to Russell T Davies in an attempt to recover the falling ratings, so things are likely going to at least change. I personally was glad to see the back of the guy when he handed the reigns to Steven Moffat, so I can't say I'm all that enthused, but the reactions I've seen are largely positive.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon May 09, 2022 9:28 pm

New season of Love, Death & Robots out next week, woooo!!!

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue May 10, 2022 11:52 am

Raid wrote: ↑
Sun May 08, 2022 5:31 pm
Well they're giving the show back to Russell T Davies in an attempt to recover the falling ratings, so things are likely going to at least change. I personally was glad to see the back of the guy when he handed the reigns to Steven Moffat, so I can't say I'm all that enthused, but the reactions I've seen are largely positive.
I think people have just forgotten how garbage Davies was simply by comparison to Moffat being so fucking bad.
Raid wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue May 10, 2022 12:15 pm

It's funny, I see that comment quite a bit, but I can't relate to it. I hated Davies' stuff by the end, and thought Moffat's was infinitely better (with notable exceptions).

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 10, 2022 12:24 pm

I can't get on board with any modern Doctor Who (i.e. everything from Ecclestone onwards) because despite watching maybe one or two episodes a season, it's always set in London. All of space and time to play with and somehow the fate of the universe always comes down to present day London. Or Victorian London, if it's Christmas.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue May 10, 2022 12:41 pm

I get your point, although I don't think London is as pervasive as it was during the first few years of the post-2005 stuff. I know it's different from a storytelling perspective, but from an entertainment point of view, is it really any different from it being filmed in a Welsh quarry every week? I don't think the setting is as important as the writing.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 10, 2022 12:50 pm

Oh I'm not going to claim that early Doctor Who was much better in that respect, because although my childhood memories of it are very positive I'm certain that watching it now would be a trial. I do think the setting is important when its central to the concept of the show, though. We're dealing with a being who styles himself as a protector of the spacetime continuum, so there is an expectation of weird and wonderful settings beyond the scope of everyday life. What's the point in having the TARDIS if you're going to use it to go from Charring Cross to Trafalgar Square a few hours ago? To me it just stinks of laziness and the classic London-centric view that many Londoners have of the world.

Also it just feels cheap. I get that it's a family show and the production values are never going to be HBO-levels, but a lot of the dialogue is painful. I like the idea of the wider concepts of the show, but in practice they rarely work for me.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue May 10, 2022 1:09 pm

I think you have to remember that The Doctor isn't the only person in the TARDIS; I seem to remember a lot of the early visits to the city were Rose's doing. I forget how he picks Martha up, but I think she had a London accent too, so I assume she featured in the reasoning. Donna was a Londoner too. Maybe The Doctor just has a thing for that seductive accent.

Is it lazy? Sure, but apparently it's hardly a new thing. I went to see if I could find a list of stories set there, and found a wiki page longer than my university dissertation. Given how shoddy the writing can be in the series, it wouldn't surprise me if there's some nonsense about it being a 'temporal nexus' or some such, in order to explain away what is obviously a production factor.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue May 10, 2022 1:12 pm

The funny thing is that all those episodes set in London were actually filmed in Cardiff :lol: