Re: General TV News

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:01 pm

Now this guy knows his shit.

Amazon should hire this guy - job done.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:33 pm

The last few comments exemplify why I have enjoyed hanging around here for almost twenty years now. It's such an intellectual burrowing down into a sensitive topic, everyone being quite polite and accepting, lots of great points being brought up, and all around a safe place to express opinions and such.

Speaking to the frothing masses of racist shitheads that infect my country over here in the US, they'll not listen to a single word of any of this. They've been raised from before they could walk with hatred for anyone that isn't snowy-white-skinned. It goes well beyond just hatred, though. It's entirely a part of their core being. Other races are barely human. There's no nuances to this, no spectrum of thought. If they could snap their fingers and whitewash the entire planet, I'm sure they would - or enslave every other race, utterly and completely.

The internet does allow cretins to spout off nonsense and hate, it always has, thanks to the anonymous nature of posting stuff. But it's not safe to push those horrible opinions aside anymore, to blame anonymity or childishness or whatever, and discount their statements. Race wars are making a comeback, at least over here. I for one take their statements seriously, even if it's "just" commenting on a new fantasy tv series. It's part of a larger narrative for them, it's the life that they're living and breathing, this hatred from the moment their eyes open every morning. I wish I were being hyperbolic but I'm certain that I'm not.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:20 pm

MMEGA:Make Middle Earth Great Again! :P

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:56 pm

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:26 pm

While I love the LOTR films (despite their flaws at times), I think PJ lost some credibility in the argument of “we treated the films like we were uncovering Middle Earth’s history” when he added shit like Legolas riding a bat and cart-mounted automatic crossbows to the Hobbit films. Even Return of the King had the infamous oliphaunt trunk-slide and the nonsense with the flood of skulls in the extended edition.

I’m not sure holding him up as an example of how to treat Tolkien’s books with dignity and respect is as full-blooded an argument as some people think it is.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:02 am

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo- ... k-33577711
Not exactly filling the fans with confidence there are they.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:05 am

Weird choice. No matter who they choose, it will be wrong.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:52 am

I can kinda see why they've had to do it. It's one thing doing it in a game where the player isn't expected to sit through the "down time" between missions; devs don't tend to spend huge amounts of time between gameplay segments (unless you're Hideo Kojima where the gameplay segments seem to be a massive inconvenience for his machinima projects), and they can get away with Chief never taking his helmet off. It's awkward to do that in a TV show where the intensity has to be lower. They made the same choice even in The Mandalorian, where the character was religiously obliged not to show his face. In a game you bond with the character because you're the one doing the work, that's not the case in a TV show.

I'm not sure I agree with the choice, but frankly I don't think it matters all that much. Master Chief wasn't really much of a character in the first three games, he was just a very capable soldier who carried Cortana around. I'm more disappointed that because of the choice they couldn't use the game's voice actor.

They're doing a lot to change the actual fiction, which bothers me more. They've clearly completely done away with the original game's plot, and I'm just hoping they've not done away with the background to it too. The Pillar of Autumn arrived at Halo in the game because it made an emergency jump away from the Covenant armada that destroyed Reach. It was a complete surprise. Now it seems to be a big mystery based on an uncovered Forerunner artefact. I think they're risking it being a hollowed out shell of the original material, with the visual aspects intact but none of the story.

There's another red flag for me; the mysterious blond woman (the one saying "Humans, surrender to the Covenant") walking through certain scenes.
Spoiler
She appears to be on High Charity, the Covenant city station that appears in Halos 2 and 3. You can see the ancient Forerunner ship (the one that looks like an electricity pylon) in the background. She's also slowly walking through a scene where humans appear to be being attacked by slimy alien things which I assume are Flood.

I have a sneaking suspicion they're giving either the Covenant or the Flood a human-looking proxy to appeal more to the audience, which is a sci-fi trope I don't care for. If an opponent is supposed to be monstrous, let them look monstrous! Humanise them with storytelling if that's the effect you're going for, don't represent them with an attractive human woman. It's just lazy.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:22 am

The fact that Hollywood does not "get" the source material it adapts is as old as the trees.

The Powers of the Ring already looks like a shitshow, I am beyond caring now.

{edit} I mean The Rings of Power...you see - I really dont care

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:47 am

I'm similar on the Rings of Power, at this stage I've just no interest in it at all. That might change if reviews are stellar, although I'm not particularly hopeful of that.

I loved Jackson's LOTR, felt very meh about the Hobbit to the point I've never even bothered watching the final film of that trilogy, and the source material this series is based on was deathly dull imho.

So we'll see.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:05 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:47 am
felt very meh about the Hobbit to the point I've never even bothered watching the final film of that trilogy

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 am

Indeed. It was absolute garbage regardless of whether you know the source material. I was genuinely surprised at how tedious they'd managed to make it considering it was from the same director that gave us Helms Deep and Pelannor Field.

I don't really have a hard and fast rule for respecting source material, I have to treat it on a case by case basis. I don't really care about the Halo changes because I'm not paying for the subscription service that it's restricted to so won't be able to watch it anyway (and frankly it's a while since I was that invested in the franchise).

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:36 am

Raid wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 am
Indeed. It was absolute garbage regardless of whether you know the source material. I was genuinely surprised at how tedious they'd managed to make it considering it was from the same director that gave us Helms Deep and Pelannor Field.
In fairness to it, the first 45 minutes or so are okay, as are the final 15 minutes. If you cut out the actual battle, which is a travesty and goes on for bloody forever, it's mostly fine.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:30 pm

I'll have the starter and the dessert please. No need for the main course. Thanks

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:50 pm

I feel an urge to watch Five Armies because I watched the first two although can't say I'm looking forward to it.