A Little Help, please

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Solitaire

A Little Help, please

Post by Solitaire » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:50 am

Okay, this is going to be a "way out there" post, and I'm imagining that nobody will know wtf I'm even talking about, but I gotta try here...

There's some crazy 70s sci-fi movie that I watched when I was a kid. It was quite stylized, almost avant garde, I would say, even for standards of the 70s. I've struggled for two decades now to remember the title of the movie. My best friend Mike, who has seemingly seen every movie ever made, cannot recall this particular movie.

It was definitely filmed in Europe, no question about it. My recollections are of post-modern, Scandinavian style buildings - hey, it's the future, you know.

The key detail that I recall is that the protagonist has had his mind altered in some way, and that he has a "keyword" that unlocks... something. I don't remember what. That keyword is "ANTWERP." Yes, Antwerp, as in the city.

Is there anyone on this forum that recalls anything like this, at all? Any details that would help in my search? It's driving me 'round the bend! I distinctly recall absolutely loving the story (as a teen, and from thence on, I've loved sci-fi) but I'll be damned if I can dig up anything at all about this particular movie.

Thanks for reading :)
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Solitaire

Re: A Little Help, please

Post by Solitaire » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:02 am

Good Lord. Proving that anything that exists is now on the internet, here's the movie/tv series "The Lathe of Heaven":

I'll watch the whole thing tomorrow, because it's 10:00pm here and I really should just go to bed. Was filmed in Fort Worth, Texas? Okay, that surprised me... I was definitely wrong in my OP, lol

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:29 am

Well, that's my morning taken over. I do like these clever sci fi things. I've never heard of this one. Might even try the book afterwards.

Shame it's only a TV movie but it's the ideas that count. I see there was a 2002 shit remake.
-- To be completed at some point --

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:57 pm

I like how it only took you about 10 minutes to find it after making the post :lol:

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:59 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:57 pm
I like how it only took you about 10 minutes to find it after making the post :lol:
I know, right? I debated deleting the whole thing but thought some people here might enjoy the show. I've searched for it before, without luck, obviously! I must have hit on the right keywords last night :p

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:37 am

The whole plot reminded me of The Monkey's Paw. Wishing is hard to get right :)
I like to try at making the perfect wish that can't get mistaken or is ambiguous :) I also find holes in my own work
-- To be completed at some point --

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:22 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:57 pm
Pretty common, we even have a term for it in software. The act of describing it to someone else using a different medium (thought vs writing/typing) makes you think about the problem differently, or choose different words that'll spark association.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.