BBC 2027

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

BBC 2027

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:02 pm

OK the licence fee is going

how will you fund it?

I think the licence fee should be reduced to £50 to run 3 terreristal channels, one for entertainment, one for news, one for kiddies. Radio should get advertising. Add a worldwide subscription for premium entertainment and factual.

I don't know. Its a tough to figure this out.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Re: BBC 2027

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:37 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:02 pm
I think the licence fee should be reduced to £50 to run 3 terreristal channels, one for entertainment, one for news, one for kiddies.
I like that idea, but I'd scrap the licence fee entirely and incorporate a hugely reduced amount into tax instead to cover basics for ad-free terrestrial BBC channels. I'd keep BBC One, BBC Two and CBeebies as they are but bin the dedicated BBC News channel from what the tax covers. Most of it is just filler or repeated headlines and there are better ways of accessing news these days. All other BBC content would be an online-only subscription. You could perhaps have a free account with ads versus a paid sub that is ad-free.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:47 pm

Scrap it, run ads and make iplayer subscription based. Worldwide pool of subscribers could make up a lot of the lost revenue. A tv licence is a ridiculous relic that holds every other self funded channel hostage and quite frankly, BBC stuff is mostly a bag of shite these days.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:06 pm

I wonder what the impact would be on the wider BBC Culture and World Service stuff. It is quite an influential British soft power around the world regardless of how lacklustre the programming has been lately.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:36 pm

The BBC really need to get moving on this, try to get ahead of the game a bit. License Fee numbers are dropping each year anyway, so the argument for just leaving things as they are is increasingly moot. So many young people now just don't need the BBC.

They can easily fulfil the basic elements of the charter and turn the rest of their output into an efficient, commercial enterprise. It'll mean restructuring and reducing their crazy numbers of employees, but it's going to have to happen at some point.