Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Everyone seen it....except you

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 pm

Raid wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:40 pm
Casablanca
I'd argue this is essential viewing. It's a masterfully told story with some of the best dialogue in all cinema. It becomes even more powerful when you realise that it was made in 1942, and the characters' struggles against the Nazis in the film were reality for the actors, with victory far from certain at that point. There are scenes when you can see exactly what the story means to them.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:59 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 pm
Raid wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:40 pm
Casablanca
I'd argue this is essential viewing. It's a masterfully told story with some of the best dialogue in all cinema. It becomes even more powerful when you realise that it was made in 1942, and the characters' struggles against the Nazis in the film were reality for the actors, with victory far from certain at that point. There are scenes when you can see exactly what the story means to them.
It's an excellent movie, as is Citizen Kane.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:05 pm

Good thread this, Achtung! :) I'm getting plenty of things to add to my watchlist.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:05 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:23 pm
The Man with No Name trilogy is hit and miss for me. The first 20 minutes of A Fistful of Dollars are superb - the iconic scene where Clint demands an apology to his mule is one of my favourite scenes of any film, ever. And there are too many great moments in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly to mention. The problem is that in between all these highlights are long stretches of mediocrity where not much happens.
I didn't really get into Westerns until a few years ago, so I only watched the Dollars trilogy a year or two back. I don't disagree with any of that assessment, but I will say that they're as much an experience as they are a technically strong film. The glacial pacing and badly dubbed dialogue make them what they are, and it makes them surprisingly relaxing. I don't think I'd consider them essential viewing by any means.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:55 pm

The only western I really love is Tombstone. Sometimes I feel like thats like saying the only FPS I like is CoD. :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 pm

I feel Leone elevated everything from the Dollars trilogy to go on and make his true masterpiece, Once Upon a Time in the West. It's my most watched western by far.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm

I love TGTB&TU and For A Few $ More. The first of the trilogy, A Fisful of $, sends me to sleep, but I agree with you Maturin, Once Upon A Time is masterful.

Still nothing beats the ending of The Good.....
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:19 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:13 pm
I love TGTB&TU and For A Few $ More. The first of the trilogy, A Fisful of $, sends me to sleep, but I agree with you Maturin, Once Upon A Time is masterful.

Still nothing beats the ending of The Good.....
Jesus, that was like trying to read a text message from a teenager :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:35 pm

Maturin wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 pm
I feel Leone elevated everything from the Dollars trilogy to go on and make his true masterpiece, Once Upon a Time in the West. It's my most watched western by far.
I'll jump on that the second it becomes available on a streaming service I have access to. I think it's the highest-regarded Western I've not seen yet.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:55 pm
The only western I really love is Tombstone. Sometimes I feel like thats like saying the only FPS I like is CoD. :-k
Tombstone is top class and is undeserving of such a perverse comparison! Feel no shame in your top tier taste here.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:00 pm

I'm a big western fan in general and I love Tombstone too. I'm really into all the gangster movies as well so I've seen pretty much everything everyone seems to have missed in this thread.

My partner and I went through the IMDB top 200 list a few years ago and ticked off a huge chunk of it that we'd seen and then took turns picking stuff we hadn't seen yet to watch. We did a gangster movie anthology run through as well because she hadn't seen any of the classics.

I don't think I've seen Deer Hunter or Amadeus though.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:29 pm

Fucking loads. I am absolutely not a film buff. So:
- Most of the Avengers titles and loads of superhero films
- All the Transformers films
- Casablanca
- Citizen Kane
- All the Back to the Future films
- Loads of older titles (pre-70's)
- Too many to mention tbh

I have watched the Deer Hunter though, and liked it, but not watched it for yonks. Apocalypse Now is overrated.

Oh, and Chris, take it from me that you want to avoid saccharine shite like The Breakfast Club like the plague. Take it from someone who was a teenager in the 80's and every single girl I dated would suggest we watch it. In the pursuit of sexual gratification I sat through that fucking turgid bollocks more times than I care to remember and carry a burning hatred in my heart of hearts for every bastard involved in it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm

:lol:

at this point Snowy, its probably quicker to list the classics you have seen. Personally the 70s was the best decade for Hollywood, the films were so gritty and real.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:59 pm

Try your best not to lose any sleep over Transformers or Avengers. ¬_¬
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:00 pm

Snowy wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:29 pm
- All the Back to the Future films
My face just distorted in distress. :lol: Rectify this!

I had a similar experience a few years ago when a colleague (my age, mid-thirties) told me they'd never seen a Star Wars film, and further discussion revealed they'd never seen Indiana Jones either. By December I'd just about regained my composure when I discovered they'd never seen Die Hard. :cry: