Strange New Worlds

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:28 pm

Good lord. :lol:

Back in the 60s, Star Trek did episodes like this because the studio happened to have old costumes from earlier productions which meant that they didn't need to make new ones, which is why we got the planet of the Nazis and Roman gods and the like. This latest episode of SNW was, clearly, trying to replicate that same feel, but the context is rather different given that it's actually got a decent budget. I didn't actually hate it, but while I've praised this series in the past for effectively modernising TOS, I think this was a step too far. It would have been better if it looked like more than a few cast members were enjoying themselves (Anson Mount was clearly having a wonderful time, Navia and Gooding at least seemed to be having fun). It was another slightly weird conclusion too; I've really enjoyed Dr. M'benga throughout this, but the decision he makes at the end just doesn't seem like a logical choice for his character, and I'm not sure he was the right character to lead the episode.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:10 am

Ep 9 was a return to the sort of writing and directing that I think the franchise deserves, and Ep 10, which I just watched, was very well done, probably the best episode of the season.

I agree with you on "that" episode, as well, re: Dr. M'benga. There are so many more ways to have concluded that particular side plot - they could have revisited that planet where Pikes' old flame lives, for example, and worked out a deal, or M'benga could have used the advanced tech that he was given, alluded to at the end of that episode, to create a cure or stretched out his daughter's lifespan - or something. What we got was this odd and sudden conclusion, devoid of any expected emotions, and that's that, moving on. Was so clinical and rushed. Oh well. Last two episodes made up for the nonsense, for me, but just barely! If there's a second season, I hope the writing will continue in this vein.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:58 pm

Finally got around to watching the last couple (there's been so much good TV to watch recently), and yeah, I'm with you on most of that I think.
Spoiler
Episode 9 was, let's face it, Alien 3. I don't have a problem with that at all, but the Gorn have come a long way since that incredibly lethargic fight where Kirk had polystyrene boulders thrown at him. Even the one that Mirror Archer faced in Enterprise wasn't half that deadly. I'm gutted that we lost Hemmer though, he's probably been my favourite of the new characters, but at least he got a very effective goodbye scene (considering he's not really had a lot of screen time).

Episode 10 though, wow. Firstly, Future Pike turns up in a new version of easily the best looking Star Trek uniform. That's already a nice touch. But then they go and remake Balance of Terror, one of the best episodes of TOS, but put their own spin on it? And it's really bloody good without walking all over the original? And did you happen to notice the (admittedly not very subtle) 60s-style facial lighting they were doing throughout? In case you're unaware, it's not just re-treading the same plot from the TOS episode, about half of the episode is a shot for shot remake.

I think you could argue that remaking an older episode shows a lack of originality, but I just love how they used it to reframe Pike's conundrum. It's not the first time the series has remade a TOS episode; Trials and Tribble-ations is one of DS9's mostly highly-regarded, I just think they did an amazing job with it, and it was a genuinely clever use of nostalgia. There was only one thing I wasn't keen on and that was the new chap playing James Kirk, who looks the part but doesn't sound even vaguely similar to Shatner, and he even had the exact same lines to deliver.
I genuinely think this has been the best first season of any Star Trek show. There are a couple of duff episodes, but that's still a hit rate of 80%. Every Star Trek show from TNG through to Enterprise took two years to find its feet, with the odd good episode in there, and both Discovery and Picard have been miserable failures. I'm throwing The Orville in there too. Strange New Worlds hits the ground running and mostly keeps that momentum until the absolutely brilliant finale. The writing's been fairly strong, it doesn't replace good storytelling (...or characterisation ...or really any semblance of common sense) with a visual effects budget, it's positive without being overbearing, and it has a fantastic cast. Anson Mount's Pike is absolutely in the running for replacing the TNG-era Picard as my favourite Star Trek captain.

If you get chance to watch it, it's absolutely worthwhile. I said after the first episode that it felt like the return of the franchise I grew up on. I wasn't wrong.
Last edited by Raid on Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:40 am

Here here. I'll take that 80% of yours, for sure - I was, obviously, massively disappointed with a couple of the episodes, but all in all the writing and direction has been solid, the characters are varied and interesting, yeah I'll even give the pilot a pass, now that her character arc has been ever so slightly nudged forward. I didn't know any of that regarding the TOS stuff. I'll have to find that old episode and give it a watch, or just follow the link you've provided :)
Spoiler
The new James Kirk actor, yeah, that was probably the only thing about the episode that annoyed me. Surely they could have gotten someone better. Look what they've done with Spock. That actor has given me chills on occasion, he is able to sometimes absolutely nail Nimoy's pitch and cadence. Of course, he's built like an Olympic swimmer :lol: but okay, modern times and all that jazz. Heck, I've got an acquaintance from high school who's a Trekkie, he goes to the conventions, and cosplays Captain Kirk eerily well. I should send the producers his photo, haha
I know Enterprise got a ton of flack, back in the day, but I honestly enjoyed the first two seasons immensely. I liked how the whole business felt brand-new, like the Capt having to duck under bulkhead supports in his own quarters, almost like living on a submarine. I felt it started falling flat during season 3, and for me anyway, season 4 was such a letdown that I didn't even finish watching all the episodes. I suppose I should, eventually.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:57 am

I'm the opposite with Enterprise, I thought season 3 was where it started to get its own identity (after basically being another go at TNG in the first two seasons, which followed Voyager doing very similar stuff for seven years). The first couple of years weren't terrible (with the exception of the cringeworthy attempts to make Star Trek "sexy"), but they just didn't feel like they were doing anything new, despite the opportunity that the setting presented. Season 4, when they started to finally get into the birth of the Federation stuff, was really pretty good though, full of multi-part episodes and probably my favourite Mirror Universe one.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:03 pm

I'll need to re-watch it all. I was seeing it in 'real time' so to speak, as the episodes aired. I bet with all these years gone by I'll have a different opinion of the show. Thanks for the info!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:11 pm

Just watched the first episode.

My god, they did it. They finally did it. They actually made a good Star Trek show :shock:

Loved it, everything about it. They nailed what I want out of ST, and I really hope they can keep this up as it's the best thing ST since TNG.

Well done people, we finally got there =D>

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:25 pm

And that's Season 1 done, enjoyed them all apart from the
Spoiler
medieval style fantasy one
and I thought the finale was excellent too. Roll on Season 2.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:18 pm

So finally finished off S1 of Strange New Worlds... and thought it was just really excellent throughout. Even the medieval fantasy one that most people disliked I enjoyed for a bit of silliness and a chance for the actors to have a bit of fun in very different roles.

And Anson Mount... just a standing ovation for him in particular. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything before this, but he's come out of basically nowhere and staked a claim to be possibly my favourite ST captain, certainly in the top 2 with Picard. Just exuded capability and charm without the slightly smirking/creepy edge that Shatner had as Kirk and while it took Picard a few seasons to warm to (as initially he was written as a bit aloof and chilly), Mount's Pike is instantly likeable.

No real criticisms with any of the series... there was one episode that I commented to my wife was like an episode of Next Generation that you'd skip past on a rewatch, but that aside it was excellent. Roll on series 2! :D

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:56 pm

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:16 pm

Yay! :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun May 28, 2023 7:56 am

If you don't mind a reveal of something that's probably going to be amazing, watch this 'til the end. It's probably not what you're expecting.

:D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:38 pm

Episode 1 of season 2 is good fun. Plenty of excitement, the odd laugh.

Episode 2 might be one of the best written episodes of Star Trek ever made.

There's a theme that runs through Discovery, something that was at least partially responsible for my losing interest. When Discovery arrives in the 32nd century, they come across a space station manned by a single junior member who has been waiting his whole life for an officer to come and put up a flag. It's pure, unadulterated Starfleet fetishism, symbolic of everything I dislike about patriotism. They hold the organisation up as the purest example of everything good in existence, just a season break after a Starfleet sub-organisation tried to destroy the universe, or something. They try to carry it by getting Sonequa Martin-Green breathy and teary eyed. You know, like she does in just about every episode. It's utterly cringeworthy.

SNW s2e02 is that, but with 55 minutes of substance to back it up. Even if you ignore the obvious symbolism, reminiscent of all of Star Trek's great courtroom episodes (Measure of a Man, Drumhead, Duet to some extent), it still works. It's restoring my faith in Star Trek as a franchise after Discovery and a couple of seasons of Picard tried to ruin it.
Last edited by Raid on Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:02 pm

Agreed, some excellent writing and acting in ep.2. Really enjoying both seasons so far.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:36 pm

I watched the first 2 episodes and it's pretty good. The cast are all very likeable and feel well rounded. Pike is a charismatic mofo to say the least. I really like the fact that the tech is from the original series, no holograms leaping off control panels or such shite. My one gripe is in the first episode they mention a rift in space opening up and I thought I'd watched a later episode by mistake. I have no context for said rift ripping.

I'll definitely watch a few more and the fact that it's only 10 episodes per season helps.