Strange New Worlds

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:52 pm

Yeah, Discovery season 2 was a soft introduction of the new Pike and they carry some of that story into SNW. The first episode maybe needed a "Previously on" bit.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:08 pm

The 100% totally legitimate site that I'm watching it on doesn't have episodes 4 or 5 so that's the end of that for now :?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:21 am

So my friend gave me his Paramount+ login so I can watch this again legitimately (plus Tulsa King, Yellow Jackets and a ton of other stuff :P ). It's definitely embraced the silly side of the franchise but it's enjoyable. Watched the obligatory everyone dresses in a silly costume episode, it was fine.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:22 pm

If you think the costume episode is silly, wait until s2e09. And on that note...
Spoiler
So Star Trek did a musical episode, following a handful of other pop-culture shows. Buffy The Vampire Slayer's Once More with Feeling is a long-standing favourite piece of television for me, so I watched this with fairly high expectations. I think there are even a couple of references to it in SNW (there's a non-sequitor about bunnies, there's a line very similar to "I've got a theory", which is the opener for one of OMwF's songs).

Unfortunately it fell a bit flat for me on first viewing. Buffy got away with the premise because 90% of the plots were "a demon did it" anyway, but the explanation for Subspace Rhapsody was preposterous in a way that I don't think Star Trek can really manage. With Buffy the musical came after a good hundred or so episodes, and was the culmination of a much longer season's storylines, so there was vastly more setup. We barely know some of the SNW characters yet. And frankly I thought Buffy's songs were better, with more clever wordplay.

But then I relistened to the score yesterday and I think in isolation it works better. There are some genuinely brilliant performances from some of the cast, and it's not surprising when you realise Celia Rose Gooding (Uhura) has both a grammy and a Tony. La'an's solo number is probably the standout for me, but I'm fond of Spock's "I'm the X" for the sheer number of mathematics puns, and Uhura's solo is a showstopper. The only disappointment really is Number One's pair of songs, which feel a bit weak next to the other cast members.

It's not going to be a classic piece of television as I was hoping, but it's a half-decent album.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:58 pm

Watched all but last episode in season 2. Enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

Episode 7 had me stop and make sure I hadn't started the wrong series and was very confused for about 5 minutes. Was a fun one otherwise.

E8 then went pretty dark in comparison and was definitely one of the best of the series. Dr M'Benga is a great character.

E9 was very different again but it rapidly started to get on my tits and I couldn't wait for it to end.

So just the last episode to go and who knows how long until the next season unless it's already finished filming. Good show.