I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Animalmother » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:41 am

The Trip (not the Steve Coogan one..)
Norwegian comedy about a couple who head to a cabin for the weekend as their marriage is collapsing. Three escaped prisoners show up and the gleeful violence hits the turbo button. It's like Bottom made by Peter Jackson in his early days with mostly practical effects. It's not the the best thing ever made but it is genuinely funny and the body trauma is eye watering in places

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:49 am

Dune

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it, spectacular visuals that really deserved a huge screen. I think an not familiar with the books might struggle a bit but most of its explained pretty well.
Can't wait for the concluding part.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:12 am

Good good. This is the film that will drag me back into a cinema.
-- To be completed at some point --

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:39 pm

I'm going to make an effort to go back to the cinema next couple of weeks for No Time to Die. At the same time though, Dune, the French Dispatch, and Eternals has also got my attention. Hmm.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:00 pm

Rusty wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:12 am
Good good. This is the film that will drag me back into a cinema.
yep. I plan to take day off and go early morning when its just me and old people
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:14 pm

Annoyingly, I have my son Thursday and Friday next week as he's off school but I can't get an early ticket. They start at midday :(
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:45 pm

Joker - I enjoyed this far more than I was expecting, largely because I didn't think it had a particularly good reputation but it's possible I've misremembered. Great performance by Phoenix, beautifully shot, good original score (although I think using "Send in the Clowns" was a little painful), and I quite liked it as an origin story.

Arrival - I watched this a couple of weeks back and forgot to review it, which is a shame as it was probably my favourite new film I've seen all year. I'm quickly becoming a Denis Villeneuve fanboy (I didn't know this was one of his until the end). It's so refreshing to see a First Contact scenario be as long-winded and complicated as this was, and I just loved the concept behind the language.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:01 pm

I thought the Arrival was kind of ruined by the time stuff. The rest was very good though. Reminded me a lot of Contact and I really like Contact.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Raid wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:45 pm
Joker - I enjoyed this far more than I was expecting, largely because I didn't think it had a particularly good reputation but it's possible I've misremembered. Great performance by Phoenix, beautifully shot, good original score (although I think using "Send in the Clowns" was a little painful), and I quite liked it as an origin story.

Arrival - I watched this a couple of weeks back and forgot to review it, which is a shame as it was probably my favourite new film I've seen all year. I'm quickly becoming a Denis Villeneuve fanboy (I didn't know this was one of his until the end). It's so refreshing to see a First Contact scenario be as long-winded and complicated as this was, and I just loved the concept behind the language.
Very much enjoyed both of these.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:17 pm

I want to see Arrival, but Jeremy Renner is one of those actors that I find unreasonably irritating to even look at. Maybe he's a great guy in real life, I dunno, but I just can't be arsed with him on my screen...

I'll watch it one day.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:13 pm

Interesting read here's on the philosophy of Dune ( the movie not the book spoilers in the article, beware.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:40 pm

Saw "No Time to Die" last Sunday, and got HBO Max just so I could watch "Dune" - and I'll go to see it in IMAX tomorrow. Easily one of my favorite movies ever. Not hard to imagine, since it's my favorite book as well, read it five times and counting.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

2Channelwonder

Post by 2Channelwonder » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:40 pm

No Time To Die

Basically The Dark Knight Rises of the Craig Bond films, and took the time to do things differently though I will say every time there were subtitles on screen it slowed down the pace of the film completely and there was an issue with a character's location changing rapidly from one scene to the next that felt like a continuity error, aside from that I did enjoy it and it'll go on my Blu Ray shelf but since I missed Ridley's Scott's The Last Duel it's tempting to see this film once more before it leaves cinemas.

So Dune ends on a TBC, they didn't attempt to put the whole book into one film? That's another film that's tempting to watch but probably in a week's time if it's half term now.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 pm

Solitaire wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:40 pm
Saw "No Time to Die" last Sunday, and got HBO Max just so I could watch "Dune" - and I'll go to see it in IMAX tomorrow. Easily one of my favorite movies ever. Not hard to imagine, since it's my favorite book as well, read it five times and counting.
Your post has persuaded me to read this next after I complete my current book. As someone who grew up with SF and having read almost all Clarke and a lot of Asimov, I never read Dune. I know next to nothing of this franchise except for Lynch's film (which I confess I enjoy). Is Dune the first book to start. Is there a prequel I need to read first?

I see that you can pick up the Dune books for cheap at HMV's 2 books for Β£6. I already own it on Kindle, but I fancy a paper version.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

2Channelwonder

Post by 2Channelwonder » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:56 pm

Venom: Let There Be Carnage

Bloodless but still violent, I've no idea how close cinematic Carnage is to the comics but the film's 97 minutes so they don't bother putting that much in between all the buildup to the final showdown, leading to some crazy digital editing with one character simply finding another in NYC for the sake of moving the plot along. Stay in your seats for a mid-credits sequence which gives you a nice link to another film, the final showdown clips along at a fast pace but is just about satisfying, I was laughing more than when I watched the original but that was thanks to Tom Hardy with direction from Andy Serkis with having to portray two characters again. Whether there's going to be a Venom 3, I hope so but depends whether they bother trying to introduce any more of the symbionts from the comics or whether they pick up from the film after the mid-credits sequence.