I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:34 pm

Elvis

The Janet and John of biographies.

Buz Luhrmann style is perfect for something like Moulin Rouge where bohemian avant grade was very much the style for the Impressionists and I know Elvis broke new grounds, the film was so hectic and stylised I am not sure what I watched. Stopped it half way through due to boredom. I learnt next to nothing.

4/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:07 pm

John Wick 4
I think it’s probably the best since the first. I can’t remember much about 2 but I really disliked 3. It did not need to be 3 hours long and could have been cut down to about 2 hours but it didn’t really feel it as I expected to. There’s some real excellent shots, one in particular is a long “single shot”(I’m sure it was super faked) top down sequence that was the highlight.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:43 pm

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Finally got around to watching this - I must admit my curiousity was only piqued when I found out Short Round is in it :lol:

I did enjoy it, although not uniformly. I really liked the first act where everything is building up, found the second act a bit confusing and a sensory overload (largely intentionally so, I gather), but then really enjoyed the third act again once I'd realised I didn't have to try to follow all the multiverse stuff as that isn't really what the film is about, it's about the human story at the centre.

So, yeah, good overall but I could see it being a marmite love-it-or-hate-it film for others.

A special shout-out though to the Raccacoonie stuff, that was genuinely hilarious from first utterance to pay-off :lol:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:31 pm

Alan wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:07 pm
John Wick 4
I think it’s probably the best since the first. I can’t remember much about 2 but I really disliked 3. It did not need to be 3 hours long and could have been cut down to about 2 hours but it didn’t really feel it as I expected to. There’s some real excellent shots, one in particular is a long “single shot”(I’m sure it was super faked) top down sequence that was the highlight.
I really, really want to see this but my days of sitting in a cinema for 3+ hours are gone. Will have to wait for streaming.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:46 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:31 pm
Alan wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:07 pm
John Wick 4
I really, really want to see this but my days of sitting in a cinema for 3+ hours are gone. Will have to wait for streaming.
Same. It'll be on the high seas in a week or so probably.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:38 pm

please please stop with this 3 hour bullshit

Just last Friday I watched Vertigo, which is a masterpiece, and that is only 2.5 hours.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:43 pm

Triangle of Sadness is now on Prime, if you want to check it out.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:06 am

On The Beach (1959)
What a great wee film! Post nuclear war, the population of the world is wiped out except for Australia where the last of humanity wait for the weather to bring the fallout to them. Some top notch acting. Greg Peck, Ava Gardner, Anthony Perkins, Donna Anderson and Fred Astaire are all on form with some great lingering shots as their faces tell the story as much as their dialogue. There is some of that 50's flavour but it really doesn't fall into tropes that you would expect it to. Its certainly not afraid to be bleak and in that the atmosphere is fab. Recommended!

The only major gripe I have is there's a section that overuses the dramatic music to the point that its almost comedic. There's something bleak and the music goes DAH DAH DAHHHHHH then it cuts to the characters reacting in near stunned silence then it cuts back to the bleak thing and goes DAH DAH DAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! and back to the silence of the characters and it repeats a good six times. Its like "Normal view" on MST3K. Oh and Waltzing Matilda is almost the movies theme song and is way over used!

Scream 6 (? The new one)
Uhm... I mean its Scream and goes through the bullet points. Annoying friend that has to list the horror tropes etc... I think the last I seen was 4? Whatever it was it was real bad but this one wasn't as bad. It has some nice grim gore and some fun stuff but its really just quite tiresome. The worst thing in it was Samara Weaving who I usually quite like but she's doing some weird English/Australian accent that is horror for the ears.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:34 pm

Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves

Just took my eldest to see this, and we both thought it was great! Good humour, good action and setpieces, decent characters, and even a cameo for fans of the 80s cartoon :lol:

Anyone who's played tabletop D&D will relate to the best-laid plans going completely tits up, improvising on the fly and accidentally instigating the apocalypse, as far as a film could be it really nails that :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:39 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:34 pm
the best-laid plans going completely tits up, improvising on the fly and accidentally instigating the apocalypse
Hey, we only did that twice. Maybe three times.

It's not a film I'm likely to see until it's on streaming services, but it seems to have gone down really well with the D&D community and I'm quite excited to see it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:43 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:39 pm
Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:34 pm
the best-laid plans going completely tits up, improvising on the fly and accidentally instigating the apocalypse
Hey, we only did that twice. Maybe three times.

It's not a film I'm likely to see until it's on streaming services, but it seems to have gone down really well with the D&D community and I'm quite excited to see it.
It was honestly a lot better than I was expecting!

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:16 am

Meet Joe Black

Jeez. It was 3 hours long. Easily should have been an hour and a half. Great acting from Anthony Hopkins. A (purposely) robotic/naive Brad Pitt.
I could write a very long essay about everything that was wrong with it. I got about an hour in and had a sneak peek at IMDB. If it had a low score I would have turned it off it was that bad but it had a fairly decent one so i stuck wih it. I should have read the low score marks, they were on point.

Even the music was awful. near rhe end when it got (overly) dramatic, it sounded like poor lift music and was way too loud and drowned out al the mumbling mumbo jumob.

Luckily my girlfriend fell asleep so she saved herself.

It was all very nicely shot and there were some good acting bits but that's where it ends.
-- To be completed at some point --

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:41 am

Rusty wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:16 am
Meet Joe Black

Jeez. It was 3 hours long. Easily should have been an hour and a half. Great acting from Anthony Hopkins. A (purposely) robotic/naive Brad Pitt.
I could write a very long essay about everything that was wrong with it. I got about an hour in and had a sneak peek at IMDB. If it had a low score I would have turned it off it was that bad but it had a fairly decent one so i stuck wih it. I should have read the low score marks, they were on point.

Even the music was awful. near rhe end when it got (overly) dramatic, it sounded like poor lift music and was way too loud and drowned out al the mumbling mumbo jumob.

Luckily my girlfriend fell asleep so she saved herself.

It was all very nicely shot and there were some good acting bits but that's where it ends.
I actually remember this coming out and the critics at the time panning it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:08 pm

I confess I have a soft spot for it but Ive not seen it in 20 years

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:00 pm

The Sadness Triangle

Spotted this on Amazon Prime video. What a fun film. Everyone acts their socks off.

This includes one of the most horrific and realistic seasickness episodes put onto film. It started off small and just rolled on for a good 10 minutes.

Recommended
-- To be completed at some point --