I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Alan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Nae Pasaran

The story of how, when one worker in a rolls Royce factory in East Kilbride started a strike when he found out they were repairing engines for Pinochets airforce. It interviews the main chaps that held up the repairs on the engines and then interviews from the people in Chile who lived through the repercussions of their actions and what effect a handful of guys in a Scottish factory had on a country miles and miles away.

It’s enthralling. Really well made and the guys are so endearing, Bob especially is so sweet and funny. It brings the feels big time and really is an absolutely wonderful film. Possibly my film of the year? It’s betwen this and Isle Of Dogs but how do comeoare the two.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Smallfoot

I dreaded this but I have to admit it is excellent. The story is pretty good and the colours are amazing, especially the night scenes. The adult jokes fail and I hate James Corden, but apart from that, my son and I really liked it.

7/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:05 am

BlacKkKlansman

Pretty good but not as powerful as I expected it to be. What made it worthwhile is the last 5 minutes with footage from Charlottesville which both put this film in perspective as well putting it in shadow.

6/10

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:58 pm

They Shall Not Grow Old

Stunning. Peter Jackson clevely bookends the film with original untouched film that covers the start and the after-effects of the war. The scene when we move from original to restored HD footage with some amazing colourisation (which at times is like looking through a time machine) is just breath-taking. I sorely regret seeing this in what was a very limited run in the cinema. There are few times cinema genuinely surprises you and I believe that is one of them.

Heartbreaking stories told by the men who lived it and in one part when one of them shot a dying man who was crying out for his mum made me cry.

This is not a history of the Great War, just a montage of stories of the Western Front, told solely from the British side. There are some missed opportunities as it would have been great to hear voices from the French, German, Russian, Austrian Hungarian and Commonwealth soldiers, but as a piece of history documentary, it is a beautiful piece of restoration.

The ending of how these soldiers were ignored and neglected back in the twenties is truly heart wrenching.

9/10

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:32 am

Buster Scruggs
Its good with some great moments but I feel the anthology nature of it leaves it very unsatisfying in a couple of the cases. Its certainly something different and well put together and its certainly a Coen film. Tom Waits is great ^_^

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:22 pm

That's kind of how I felt. Only watched about half of it so far but felt it was uneven and the anthology nature didn't really work.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:30 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:22 pm
That's kind of how I felt. Only watched about half of it so far but felt it was uneven and the anthology nature didn't really work.
If you've only seen half you've missed the two best segments, the prospector one and the wagon train one. I did quite like the travelling show one, even though it was very bleak.

I read it was meant to be shown as an episodic series rather than a single film, which might have made it seem less uneven.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:05 pm

I've seen the prospector one, stopped at the beginning of the wagon train one.

Yeah it was originally meant to be separate episodes.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:22 pm

I believe Netflix really really wants to get an Oscar for one of their original films, explains why it got a limited cinema release as well.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:33 am

Aquaman

Dodgy cg, dodgy plot but it’s not completely awful. I certainly wasn’t as bored as I was through Infinity War. It’s your typical search for the artifact affair like a subnautical national treasure. Momoa is fun as usual and as usual is just playing Ronon Dex again (finishing the Atlantis Möbius strip). The fight scene in Italy is very well done even if it is more CG than camera work.

It’s biggest achievement is making Dolf Lundgren a convincing king.

I always seem to end up enjoying DCU movies more than MCU ones. I think it’s that DC has a little more of a rough edge and MCU is so clean and safe that even Infinity Wars attempt at a dark chapter still felt like there was no threat. That’s compounded by DC characters being way way way way worse than Marvels. This reminds me I still haven’t watched Justice League.....

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:53 pm

The Spy Who Dumped Me

It's shit. Worst film I have seen this year and that includes Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. Jurassic World is still my most disappointing film of 2018 because I had a sliver of hope it would be good but going into this I knew it was going to be crap but the film surpassed that. I genuinely have had better time on the toilet than watching this.

1/10

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Deadpool 2

Wasn't as good as i was expecting but passable. I didn't like that during the film they dissed the name Russell and Rusty. Both of which I'm quite fond of :) They dropped marks there. Same jokes. Surprisingly gory.
-- To be completed at some point --

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:56 pm

Tomb Raider (2018)

Nowhere near as bad as I’d feared. No masterpiece, but a perfectly respectable action-adventure romp. Too much daddy-daughter stuff going on, otherwise reasonably enjoyable.

7/10

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:18 am

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

First time I have seen it. I loved it. Great visuals. Brilliant songs and a superb story. Animation at its finest and very very Tim Burton.

8/10

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:07 pm

The Last Hangover

A Netflix original, a pisstake of the Last Supper that's very funny. It's set the morning after while the apostles try to remember the previous night and work out what happened to Jesus. Drinking, drugs, hookers and Jesus being a bit of a privileged twat. Only niggle is it's Brazilian and the subtitles have trouble keeping up with the talking at times. Its bound to offend someone but that's half the fun.