Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:50 pm

Alan wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:10 am
Ready Or Not
Terrible name, fantastic film! Lass marries into a wealthy family that following tradition play hide and seek with murderous consequences! Its real funny, its real bloody, it's mostly all practical effects and the ending is just perfect! How many times can you say the ending of any film, much less a horror type, is great? Samara Weaving is really excellent in the main role. If you have love for anything from Evil Dead 2 to Get Out I really recommend this. Bloody great fun! One of if not my favorite film of the year!
Went to see this tonight, enjoyed it, thanks for the recommend.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:11 am

so...who is ready for Joker

Word on the street is that it is excellent

Tomatometer 69% (as of this date)
Audience 91%

Planning to see it on Tuesday
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:08 pm

I planned to see it on Friday, but have been a bit emotionally up and down/psychologically vulnerable for the last week or so, so thought perhaps it wouldn't be the best thing to do. Might try again this coming week.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:57 am

They use a Gary Glitter song during one of the scenes apparently :? That's a poor choice to say the least.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:41 am

John Wick 3. More style over substance. The law of diminishing returns is playing true on this series.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:06 am

I've only seen the first film and that was definitely style over substance so I can only imagine the depths plumbed by the third film.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am

I've never seen any of the John Wick films, but I'm looking forward to in the near future.
The hissing of rats

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:40 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am
I've never seen any of the John Wick films, but I'm looking forward to in the near future.
Kinda same. I'm waiting for the first one to hit Netflix or Prime (the former has the second film but I don't want to jump into the series there).

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Love me some John Wick. They are very much style over substance but the film's pretty much embrace that by making the action fantastic. I'd say 2 is the best of the films.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:02 pm

I think the first one was better. But they are both very entertaining.

They remind me of the old Segal movies where he'd be wronged by someone in the intro and then spend 90 minutes just obliterating everyone in front of him.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:15 pm

Ad Astra
Uneventful Horizon.

It’s fine. I appreciate it’s world building and I didn’t mind the minimal slow plodding style. It all felt grounded in reality, mostly. Then in the last 15 mins they duck it all and do two utterly ridiculous things in a row. The leaving Mars part was a bit of a logic leap but I could overlook that if he didn’t become the silver surfer later on!

Edit: also at the start I though “isn’t Pitt a touch old to be an astronaut?” Then it’s revealed Tommy Lee Jones was sent out on a long term mission and Donald Sutherland is going to accompany Pitt into space too! Geriatric Galaxy!

Judy
It’s fine. I did not expect Zellweger to be good casting but she got Judys mannerisms down pat. It’s unfortunate that they do the usual biopic pish and decide her life isn’t interesting enough without adding poorly written melodrama that sticks out like a sore thumb. I feel her younger years get glossed over too much too and more focus on the abuse she went through would have served her story better.

Level 16
This was a pleasant surprise. I really expected it to be awful syfy but barring a few logic jumps it was pretty good for b grade sci-fi! Plot: classes of girls are in an obedience school jail thing and if they get enough merits they will be adopted by a good family. ORWILLTHEY?!?!? :O
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Joker

Amazing. Best film I have seen this year and the best origin story of a comic book character I have ever seen. From the first shot you know you are in for a treat. Set in Gotham City back in what I believe to be the late 70s (they even included the Warner Bros 70s logo in a cute nod) it has all the anxiety, grittiness and skeptiscm that was prevalent in the States back in that time.

The acting is phenomenal (Pheonix should definitely pick up an Oscar for this) and the direction, cinematography and editing are all superb. The music is fantastic with the perfect score to fit the time (was not looking out for that dickhead Gary Glitter song - so they may have edited out for UK audiences - dunno). You will never listen to old blue eyes Frank Sinatra in the same light.

No CGI. Grounded in possible real situations and it takes the subject matter very seriously without ever getting to boring or too fastidious. I like the fact he has no "grand plan". He is just a guy.

The film will stay with you long after the credits roll and I can say this is the best prequel non-prequel to The Dark Knight. I will have no problem watching these 2 back to back. I loved it and will see it again. One to keep.

9/10

On a side note - the casting of DeNiro is genius given he played Rupert Pupkin in King Of Comedy and Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver. Give that casting director a medal.
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:12 pm

It is set in 1981.
The hissing of rats

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:13 pm

there you go

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:14 pm

I think Phoenix has become one of my favourite actors, he's just immense in everything I've seen him in.